Brits in Thailand warned of up to 11 week wait for passport renewals

Jonathan Fairfield

52 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

If flying direct to the Uk why does a Brit need to have their passport with at least six months’ validity remaining?

As long as it has (example) 1 day remaining when arriving then that is enough

Actually don't even need a passport in my case, being a dual citizen. 

This seems to be a universal problem at the moment, and it adds additional irritations to anyone living in Thailand.

The good news for Americans is that it is much faster to renew a US Passport in Thailand than if one was in the US. I have been told in the US it is now about 6 months, while renewing by mail in Thailand (via the Embassy, who has a stash of blank passports on hand), it takes two weeks.

Because I travel a lot, my passports fill up in a 2-3 years, and the Embassy no longer installs new pages. Fill it up and one must renew. Renewal requires submitting the old passport, and therein lies a problem.

For two weeks I had all kinds of hassles at banks trying to access my accounts. "Original passport only!" I was told in the three banks where I have accounts. Copies of the data page were insufficient. No other ID was acceptable, not even a Thai Work Permit (which I am required to have as a business owner/investor even though I do not work). Trying to explain what 'filled pages' in a passport means to folks who never traveled outside Thailand falls on deaf ears. Passports are the quintessential Farang ID, not something one would use for the unknown activity of international travel.

Being calm and reserved---per the instructions foreigners are always given regarding the local culture (when Thais do occasionally fly off the handle with each other)---was getting me nowhere. All it got was polite smiles and a repeat of "Original passport only". Raising my voice a little, though at lesser decibels that standing behind a jet engine, eventually did the trick, albeit with the branch manager at one bank. It helps to have a deep voice, similar to James Earle Jones and Paul Robeson.

Anyway, the lesson is....plan ahead as much as possible, and still expect to meet some irritations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

This seems to be a universal problem at the moment, and it adds additional irritations to anyone living in Thailand.

The good news for Americans is that it is much faster to renew a US Passport in Thailand than if one was in the US. I have been told in the US it is now about 6 months, while renewing by mail in Thailand (via the Embassy, who has a stash of blank passports on hand), it takes two weeks.

Because I travel a lot, my passports fill up in a 2-3 years, and the Embassy no longer installs new pages. Fill it up and one must renew. Renewal requires submitting the old passport, and therein lies a problem.

For two weeks I had all kinds of hassles at banks trying to access my accounts. "Original passport only!" I was told in the three banks where I have accounts. Copies of the data page were insufficient. No other ID was acceptable, not even a Thai Work Permit (which I am required to have as a business owner/investor even though I do not work). Trying to explain what 'filled pages' in a passport means to folks who never traveled outside Thailand falls on deaf ears. Passports are the quintessential Farang ID, not something one would use for the unknown activity of international travel.

Being calm and reserved---per the instructions foreigners are always given regarding the local culture (when Thais do occasionally fly off the handle with each other)---was getting me nowhere. All it got was polite smiles and a repeat of "Original passport only". Raising my voice a little, though at lesser decibels that standing behind a jet engine, eventually did the trick, albeit with the branch manager at one bank. It helps to have a deep voice, similar to James Earle Jones and Paul Robeson.

Anyway, the lesson is....plan ahead as much as possible, and still expect to meet some irritations.

Paul Robeson? Like him and old man river. Just keep rolling along,????

14 hours ago, Denim said:

The fact that the British government uses VFS at all is an absolute scandal. 

Having made a pigs ear of Visa applications they are now responsible for issuing our passports.

I agree. VFS Global are a complete shower. I have had to deal with them for an Australian matter and it was a terrible experience. They are the worst.

That said, I could not help but be amused by the thought that the passport stock is made in France isn't it ? No love lost there by the day.

22 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Three years ago while in New Zealand I renewed my British passport by post. I was emailed by the passport office to say it had been received and the renewal application form was in order. I received the new passport in under two weeks. No agent was used and my old passport was sent directly to the UK passport office. Why eleven weeks from Thailand when it is half the distance?

You forget Thailand is in a different Universe !

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Gandtee said:

It would seem Thailand is using boats. And you haven't offered a reason why it should take so long. Eleven weeks seems outrageous. Is this delay due to the handling company? If so it needs shaking up. Or are us Brits happy now with the service we are offered? 

There are super rapid fast VIP services but currently covid has caused delays. Perfectly understandable.

1 hour ago, rupert the bear said:

mine took over 4 mnths, a simple renewal.before tek it took less than a week,try asking someone at  the embassy ha ha ha they dont give a hoot,wont even answer your question in a civil or intelligent manner,useless leeches

Does the UK have an embassy anymore?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I just showed them my old passport and they changed the documents to match the new passport.

18 hours ago, Denim said:

The fact that the British government uses VFS at all is an absolute scandal. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/home-office-investigation-complaints-vfs-global-outsourcing-visas-immigration-a9214306.html

https://iasservices.org.uk/vfs-global-receives-criticism-after-string-of-severe-issues/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFS_Global

Having made a pigs ear of Visa applications they are now responsible for issuing our passports.

Yes, they suck.

On 10/30/2021 at 2:05 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

However, it could be due to a surge in passport applications in the wake of an easing of global travel restrictions put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Nothing to do with it, just red tape again.

39 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Nothing to do with it, just red tape again.

It's due to a surge in passport applications post covid travel restrictions combined with 'working from home' by many civil servants. The is also a backlog of 30 thousand driving license applications. There has been no increase in bureaucracy at all.

6 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's due to a surge in passport applications post covid travel restrictions combined with 'working from home' by many civil servants. The is also a backlog of 30 thousand driving license applications. There has been no increase in bureaucracy at all.

Can't we blame Brexit?

8 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

If flying direct to the Uk why does a Brit need to have their passport with at least six months’ validity remaining?

As long as it has (example) 1 day remaining when arriving then that is enough

expect its the airlines being ultra safe, should tehre be a delay etc, strike, rerouted due to weather or fake terrorism like the recent  Belarus diversion of a Ryanar flight, the airline bears all the cost of returning you if you are denied entry, It's awful but that may be the reason?

Not uch Brits can do about being 2nd lcass here, no vote, no land rights unlike Thais in UK, but also shody VFS and of course the prospect of frozen pension no access to NHS on return

9 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

dealt with them twice, both times a shambles, hope they have changed but i am more inclined to believe that the leopard doesn't change its spots

Agree as to the spots drink more Leo and anything is possible,it's afluid situation.

You would think HMPO would prioritize in dictatorship where foreigners are expected to have ID for things like vaccine, 90 days etc

Brits in EU are not going to be in much trouble if slow, suppose they regard retired fishmongers as unimportant sheetshape and bristle mash on

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

You would think HMPO would prioritize in dictatorship where foreigners are expected to have ID for things like vaccine, 90 days etc

They do.  That's why renewal is done without sending the old passport back to the UK.

• Like 1

This is not new.

In the UK, we were informed in March 2020 that renewal of passports could take up to 11 weeks and this warning has not been rescinded.

I applied for renewal in June 2020 and received my renewed passport within a month.

It is however a timely reminder that the process can take up to 11 weeks and has been so since March 2020