Brits in Thailand warned of up to 11 week wait for passport renewals

Jonathan Fairfield

12 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

expect its the airlines being ultra safe, should tehre be a delay etc, strike, rerouted due to weather or fake terrorism like the recent  Belarus diversion of a Ryanar flight, the airline bears all the cost of returning you if you are denied entry, It's awful but that may be the reason?

Not uch Brits can do about being 2nd lcass here, no vote, no land rights unlike Thais in UK, but also shody VFS and of course the prospect of frozen pension no access to NHS on return

Immediate access to NHS on return. You just have to reapply. Your NHS number does not get cancelled!

• Like 2

So if you apply say 11 weeks before expiry is your new one dated from when you apply  ? If so it sounds like another con if they don't add on the 11 weeks to your new passport. you may say well its only every ten years, but it amounts to a scam if it is happening to everyone. It would amount to skimming a bit from all.  :coffee1:

17 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:
17 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

no access to NHS on return

Immediate access to NHS on return. You just have to reapply. Your NHS number does not get cancelled!

Who tells them you have been out of the country ? Passports are not mandatory in the UK.

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So if you apply say 11 weeks before expiry is your new one dated from when you apply  ?

No, it's from the date of issue. What they don't do any more is add on the unexpired time from your old passport, so you do lose some time. It's also annoying for those of us on annual extensions that if you haven't got a year left on your passport, you are faced with the alternatives of either getting an extension for less than one year or applying when your passport has more than a year to run, effectively reducing its useful validity to nine years.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

No, it's from the date of issue. What they don't do any more is add on the unexpired time from your old passport, so you do lose some time. It's also annoying for those of us on annual extensions that if you haven't got a year left on your passport, you are faced with the alternatives of either getting an extension for less than one year or applying when your passport has more than a year to run, effectively reducing its useful validity to nine years.

Yes my thought process was along those lines.... do I get a new passport early, and then I can transfer my Extension, and renew it for a full year, or hold off and simply do a new Extension that is valid for 10 months, and renew the passport at leisure in 2022. I was misinformed how long the passport renewal would take... and I now fear my Extension expiring before my new passport arrives. 

On 10/31/2021 at 8:33 AM, hotandsticky said:

They don't. 

You can always enter the UK as a British citizen, even with an expired passport.

What about a Thai with dual British/Thai nationality. Whilst as you say they can enter the UK with an expired British passport, what problems would they encounter at the Thai airport when leaving on their valid Thai passsport, since the British passport which would ordinarily suffice instead of a visa has expired? I can imagine that would cause considerable confusion with some airlines.

30 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

What about a Thai with dual British/Thai nationality. Whilst as you say they can enter the UK with an expired British passport, what problems would they encounter at the Thai airport when leaving on their valid Thai passsport, since the British passport which would ordinarily suffice instead of a visa has expired? I can imagine that would cause considerable confusion with some airlines.

I would imagine that the airline booking would quote the British passport number - that would satisfy them. Thai Immigration would be satisfied with seeing the Thai passport on exit.

Advised Wednesday at 4pm. by VFS that renewed British passport back.  Can only collect Mon.Wed and Fri between 2-3pm   What total nonsense!!!!

Heard this morning that earliest appointment for applying for a British passport is now early December!!!!!!!!!!!

HMPO UK have problems, but cannot understand why VFS  cannot get their act together.  Add 4 weeks to HMPO 11 weeks and that makes 15, well beyond Immigration,s requirement for 90 day reporting.  Forget online reporting in most parts of Isan! Also plays havoc for many farangs who need to extend their permission to stay!

Don't expect Immigration or the British Embassy to be sympathetic and assist!