Brits in Thailand warned of up to 11 week wait for passport renewals

Jonathan Fairfield

I got a new passport (renewal) recently, the advertised wait period was 11 weeks, it's been this way for most of the year.

It took about 7 weeks from application to delivery.

Plan ahead!

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Why eleven weeks from Thailand when it is half the distance?

You do know they use aeroplanes rather than boats these days?  Anyhow, the current in-country average for renewal is 6 weeks and they suggest you allow 10.  So 11 from Thailand is simply being consistent with in-country advice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

You do know they use aeroplanes rather than boats these days?  Anyhow, the current in-country average for renewal is 6 weeks and they suggest you allow 10.  So 11 from Thailand is simply being consistent with in-country advice.

It would seem Thailand is using boats. And you haven't offered a reason why it should take so long. Eleven weeks seems outrageous. Is this delay due to the handling company? If so it needs shaking up. Or are us Brits happy now with the service we are offered? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not really news, as this has been the case for a while. Although 11 weeks is quite long, one needs to know when one's passport runs out.... but you guessed it, I am in the process of renewing my daughter's which expired in June! For obvious reasons, we haven't had much use for the passports recently!

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

It would seem Thailand is using boats. And you haven't offered a reason why it should take so long. Eleven weeks seems outrageous. Is this delay due to the handling company? If so it needs shaking up. Or are us Brits happy now with the service we are offered? 

Why the delays?

This from the BBC ten years ago. History repeating itself?  --       'Ministers have suggested the surge in demand for passports has been caused by an upturn in the economy - but Passport Office boss Paul Pugh says he does not know why it has happened. In fact, Mr Pugh did predict that there would be an increase of 350,000 applications this year - very close to the 346,289 extra applications currently in the system. He warned about the extra workload in the foreword to the agency's 2013 annual report, saying it would be caused by the closure of seven passport offices at British embassies and the transfer of the work to the UK. Critics say he failed to put adequate measures in place to deal with the extra work. Mr Pugh says preparations were made and although the actual increase will be closer to 400,000, over a 12 month period, he does not think it is the cause of the backlog. He has commissioned an independent investigation to discover the cause and why the agency failed to predict it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Three years ago while in New Zealand I renewed my British passport by post. I was emailed by the passport office to say it had been received and the renewal application form was in order. I received the new passport in under two weeks. No agent was used and my old passport was sent directly to the UK passport office. Why eleven weeks from Thailand when it is half the distance?

They are not saying that is how long it will take!    It just gives them a little more time before people start bothering them in the case of delays beyond their control.   My last experience was that it took less than 3 weeks.

Something else to be aware of, the EU only recognises 10 years on a passport. I usually have to renew early because my passport gets full, so my current passport is 10y + 8 months. With almost no opportunity to travel over the last couple of years, there are plenty of empty pages left, but I'm going to have renew it 8 months early than expected.

• Like 1

On a side note, I took my 25-year-old Thai daughter to get her first Thai passport in UbonRatchathani early this month. We got there on Friday and the passport came via the post office's express mail on following Tuesday. That was fast service!

At the time, there weren't too many people there when she went in. It probably took her 15 minutes to submit the documents. The previous time there, we probably spent an hour or so there due to lines of people.

Edited by TooBigToFit
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

The fact that the British government uses VFS at all is an absolute scandal. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/home-office-investigation-complaints-vfs-global-outsourcing-visas-immigration-a9214306.html

https://iasservices.org.uk/vfs-global-receives-criticism-after-string-of-severe-issues/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFS_Global

Having made a pigs ear of Visa applications they are now responsible for issuing our passports.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Maybole said:

Does anybody know how long it takes for an application submitted from a UK address?

Also, what happens if the Passport is not received before a 90 day report becomes due?

Why would you be concerned about 90 days if submitting from the UK?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Denim said:

The fact that the British government uses VFS at all is an absolute scandal. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/home-office-investigation-complaints-vfs-global-outsourcing-visas-immigration-a9214306.html

https://iasservices.org.uk/vfs-global-receives-criticism-after-string-of-severe-issues/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFS_Global

Having made a pigs ear of Visa applications they are now responsible for issuing our passports.

Used them for recent renewal. Quick and efficient, no complaints.