Panic attack followed by acute depression.

giddyup

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Quit smoking or coffee drinking? I have never smoked but I won't be quiting coffee, ever. I need

to grab one right now LOL

As long as you understand that stimulants like caffeine and nicotine are psychotropic drugs and do NOT help one relax; this was my misunderstanding for years. Although VERY hard to quit, glad I did. 

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't need to suffer. A short course of valium may be all you need.

I did take Clonazepam, which is the same as Valium, for a while, mainly to help me sleep. It works very well, but it doesn't take long to become addicted. I gave it away after a couple of weeks for that reason.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, madmen said:
18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A few days of walking in the fresh air is probably more in order than medication.

12 hours ago, madmen said:

I tried this thank you so much! I was able to cure my diabetes, asthma, suicidal thoughts and chronic depression and erectile dysfunction

I'm really looking forward to my second walk... 

It's possible that walking will have a positive affect on all of the above, but I'm not sure whether it would also include Cynicism.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

As long as you understand that stimulants like caffeine and nicotine are psychotropic drugs and do NOT help one relax; this was my misunderstanding for years. Although VERY hard to quit, glad I did. 

I find coffee exceedingly relaxing. I can take a nap straight after one. I can easily quit if I wish. I suppose these drugs affect people differently. There is mounting evidence of the health benefits of coffee. I never have problems relaxing. It's getting energy to do stuff that is in short supply.

Edited by JensenZ

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

All I know is St John's wort is readily available without prescription, whereas all of the man made antidepressants are not. What does that tell you?

St John's wort can worsen anxiety which seems to be your main problem. The depression is likely due to trying to suppress the anxiety.

• Like 2

Do not go to a doctor who will only give you drugs that will only make the situation worse, with age you need more vitamins that the body can no longer synthesize so take vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and try different compositions until Obviously you find what your body needs to go out and take some nice walks and strongly recommended. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Certainly you need to make some changes and certainly you need help. I just do nto think medication is necessarily the answer. Start with therapy. Just talking things through with someone trained to listen and support, will help a lot.

In addition, a therapist can advise a psychiatrist on type of medication is one is needed, making it more likely you'd get the right drug. As I have explained, there is a great risk of making things worse when medicating a mixed anxiety/depressive disorder.

I guess finding a therapist who can communicate well with falangs will be the first step.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Do not go to a doctor who will only give you drugs that will only make the situation worse, with age you need more vitamins that the body can no longer synthesize so take vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and try different compositions until Obviously you find what your body needs to go out and take some nice walks and strongly recommended. 

Already taking a heap of vitamins now, like magnesium, fish oil, vitamin B, NAC etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

What do you use for RLS as I have had the same problem for years? Haven't found anything to successfully treat it. I don't believe St Johns wort is addictive, so probably no need to wean off. Yes, have been with the same Thai partner for nearly 12 years, couldn't wish for better, but she can't help much with depression.

Alprazolam (Xanax) has helped for me.  I take half a .05mg pill at night (or rarely at other times if it bothers me a lot during the day).  It can be habit forming so I'm pretty careful about dosage.  I had it prescribed by a physician's assistant in a rural area of Virginia years ago and the Bangkok-Pattaya hospital had no problem after discussing it with them and showing a letter he'd provided.

I used the term "wean" for St. John's Wort to indicate slowly seeing if there were any issue without it after a few years and there weren't.  The depression seemed to dissipate.

27 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Already taking a heap of vitamins now, like magnesium, fish oil, vitamin B, NAC etc.

Also take natural brewer's yeast with sugar, a powerful medicine for the elderly.

Edited by BE88

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Since most are themselves Westerners, not an issue.

Again, please see the pinned thread.

I think all those contacts are in Bangkok, I need someone in Pattaya. My mistake, there are a couple listed for Pattaya, one is a family counselor, not sure if that's what I need. I'll see what Bangkok hospital has to offer. Thanks

Edited by giddyup

5 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Giving up coffee and smoking, cold turkey, will make anxiety and depression much worse. Having a smoke or a coffee is a time people relax. Perhaps switching to decaf might be an idea, but cutting cigarettes at the wrong time is a bad idea.

Having half a coffee works well, half coffee, half water, half milk, half sugar

19 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Get your heart checked, it may not be a panic attack.

Mitral valve prolapse and thyroid issues can cause "panic" like symptoms.  If it was me I'd get checked out by a doctor.  Like others mentioned, perhaps Sheryl can assist with recommendations. 
As far a anti-depressants, I was prescribed meds for anxiety and 'depression' after a tragic personal loss.  I used them for about a year.  Do they 'work?'  Well, they make things different, which doesn't necessarily mean better.  Just different.  Getting off of anti-depressants is like weening off of pain meds or other drugs that create a physical dependence.  It's a slow process of tapering.  The doctor was incensed - "You're clinically depressed!!!  You need the meds."  My answer was "No I'm not" and No I don't."  I hit a bump in life.  I got over it and moved on.  Found a different doctor too.  Doctors are not gods, they are a source of options.  Only you can make the final informed decision on what treatment you feel you need.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

All I know is St John's wort is readily available without prescription, whereas all of the man made antidepressants are not. What does that tell you?

Not true.  You can buy anti-depressants over-the-counter in Thai pharmacies. 

26 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Not true.  You can buy anti-depressants over-the-counter in Thai pharmacies. 

That's true, I just bought Valium 10mg at my local pharmacy which I wouldn't be able to do in most western countries. My point is that I can buy St Johns wort from Iherb, or even Lazada, but I can't buy antidepressants from them. Anyway, I've dropped the St Johns wort idea after hearing that it may actually make anxiety worse.

What are the dangers of St John's wort?

Image result for contraindications st john's wort

They may include upset stomach, dry mouth, headache, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, sexual dysfunction, or sensitivity to sunlight. Also, St. John's wort is a stimulant and may worsen feelings of anxiety in some people.
In general, St John’s wort has been recommended as a useful alternative to prescription antidepressant medication for the treatment of mild depression and can be bought over the counter. However, in a web survey on the Black Dog Institute website, where nearly 3000 people who had experienced clinical depression evaluated different treatments, St John’s wort was rated as distinctly less effective than most antidepressant drugs.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I guess finding a therapist who can communicate well with falangs will be the first step.

There are guys who do Skype sessions for 1500 baht. But try walking around Phratamnak Hill park and making some acquaintances firstly. Hill walking will raise the heart rate naturally and force you to breathe more deeply. Flat walking won't do you much good. Your mood will remain much the same. You need to push yourself out of the funk you are in. Mild exercise like walking the dog won't change your physiology much.

Get out there. Create more experiences; rather than just living inside your head. Be like a child; a nice one.

More enquiring; rather than assuming you already know it. Push yourself a little bit. Make friends with strangers. Accept rejection and continue anyway. Do things that lift and strengthen your heart. Do more for others. Have more hugs. All these little things together will improve the quality of your life and make you feel better.

Sitting at home with your millions will not.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

But try walking around Phratamnak Hill park and making some acquaintances firstly. Hill walking will raise the heart rate naturally and force you to breathe more deeply. Flat walking won't do you much good. Your mood will remain much the same. You need to push yourself out of the funk you are in. Mild exercise like walking the dog won't change your physiology much.

Did I mention that I'm coming up for 80? Yeah, I know that there are guys who run marathons at 80, but that's not me.

• Like 2

If living your life a certain way has brought you to depression; living your life the same way and taking a medication is not going to make it better.

Medication should be an aid. Like taking painkillers before fixing a dislocated shoulder; it makes the manipulation easier.

It's an aid; not a solution. The solution is to change your lifestyle. You probably need help with that.

Do you have social anxiety? Get out there with the other walkers/runners. 

You have more time for these things. Fit them into your day. Finish off with a nice relaxing pool session.

How does a typical day look? What stimulates you?

People don't get depressed doing stuff; they get depressed when they are living mostly inside their heads.

Do stuff and make yourself proud.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Did I mention that I'm coming up for 80? Yeah, I know that there are guys who run marathons at 80, but that's not me.

80 is nothing. Please stop this mindset of telling yourself that you cannot. It's the negativity that you have built into your system that is dragging you down.

Once you get started you will feel differently. But you have to DO; not THINK or IMAGINE.

Instead, you want an easy way; tablet or talking(still doing nothing).

DO is real life. The rest is just inside your head; your imagination without the chemical produced that make us feel differently.

Create them for yourself by doing and feeling. When was the last time you hugged someone; I mean really. With full emotion.

What you think now is based on you being deficient. If you weren't deficient, you would see it differently. So listen to the guys who are not deficient currently. Do more; think less.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

80 is nothing? Seriously, when most men only live to mid 80's if they're lucky. How old are you, 50? Listen, I know you mean well, but I've really heard enough from you OK?

Yes; 80 is nothing. I already spoke to you about other eighty year olds I know. So I speak from my experience and you from yours.

But yours is not working; you anger easily. That shows that you are already on the edge. You tolerate rather than take good advice. It's your character. 

You have no idea as to how old I am.

Either way; I am happy to leave you to it. The people who prosper are the people who listen and act on the best advice. The others are meant to suffer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Yes; 80 is nothing. I already spoke to you about other eighty year olds I know. So I speak from my experience and you from yours.

But yours is not working; you anger easily. That shows that you are already on the edge. You tolerate rather than take good advice. It's your character. 

You have no idea as to how old I am.

Either way; I am happy to leave you to it. The people who prosper are the people who listen and act on the best advice. The others are meant to suffer.

I have no idea how old you are, and you have no idea what my physical capabilities are, or what my routines are, so don't try and tell me 80 is nothing just because you know an 80 year old that climbs Everest on the weekends. I don't need your advice pushed down my throat, so leave off, or join my block list. Up to you.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I have no idea how old you are, and you have no idea what my physical capabilities are, or what my routines are, so don't try and tell me 80 is nothing just because you know an 80 year old that climbs Everest on the weekends. So leave off, or join my block list. Up to you.

It's your own character that is harming you. Think to yourself why you haven't thanked EVERYONE who has tried to help you with your problem.

Learn calm, learn tolerance, learn love...or be damned/doomed/condemned.

All you are doing are showing us why you have panic attacks. These 'blowups' are part of your character. It's a kind of panic attack if you think about it. You can hardly control yourself and you get madder and madder until....

When you do the things I suggest; that blowing up will subside, because you will understand how to bypass it and become more tolerant.

But the way you are going; it will continue or just get worse.

Either way; you are welcome to put me on your blocked list. No need for you to take my advice. Go your own way. It's your fate. Only you can change it. I know people of your age who are doing just that and they are much happier. I can see it in the way they act, write, respond etc.

You can tell a lot by just observing...

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:16 PM, RJRS1301 said:

Vitamin K is from sunshine , converted by the body to Vit D and affects good bone health and also mental health, the physical exercise also helps keep the muscles active, which stimulates other hormones and things

Stimulation by outside views, and the possibility of the chance conversation with other walkers

and he should get himself laid

• Like 1