Would you trust a business that only has a Facebook page and not a proper website?

The Hammer2021

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

To the topic headline, sure, why not, as I'll do my due diligence and research the vendor.  If not finding any info / reviews / ratings, then probably give them a pass.  Depends on the product and cost of, if will to chance purchase of.

Usually go with tried & tested vendors, with refund & warranty protection.  So far, so good.

Also have bought & sold via FB, and, so far, so good.????

It's not just about fraud. It's the mentality of a business that dismisses potential customers who don't use FB. It's insensitive and thoughtless and this is likely to be reflected in their other business practices.

• Sad 1

I think with my partner and I it would depend on what we were buying and how much we were  spending.  We've just started buying things on Facebook and, so far, the experience has been positive.  We saw a wonderful Japanese folding art wall screen at a very good price and we took a chance and sent the money.  The screen was mailed to us, very carefully wrapped, and we got it in a couple of days.  We were very happy with it.  Since then we have ordered several other art works from the same site with excellent results.   

Funny you mention this as last night I was having an in my home deep cleanse scrub finished by a coconut massage I asked the girl why she did not advertise on the web / FB her reply was that she did 3 years ago but all she got was abuse ,she now has a really good client base and they recommend her as was in my case and seeing that she employs five staff she must be doing something right . I have a one page website advertising one of my properties the pictures and description work fine for me when it comes to renting nothing worse than going thru pages of verbal when you can cover it with a single page !

Edited by crazykopite
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I agree. They are ignoring all those potential customers who don't have FB. That is ignorance. Thus I do not trust such businesses to be effective, efficient or professional.

Does that thought process work the other way also? Customers that don't use FB are ignoring businesses that do and therefore ignorant?  Time and technology keep advancing, nothing wrong with keeping up with the times. 

• Like 1

In most cases no I wouldn’t , but I have bought watches from dealers that only have Facebook pages. But they have been going for several years and post photos with customers that they sell too most of the time . I could have met them to purchase the watches but it would have involved travelling half the country , so was easier to pay them and them send the watches out. 

It's not a matter of trust. To read a restaurant menu on FB, for example, is almost impossible unless I also use FB. After a few seconds a giant splash screen covers everything and tries to force me to log in. I realize that for them it's much easier to do like this, I realize that the majority of people don't see a problem to use FB. I do.

So they lose this customer. That's ok. They have so many other customers, and I have so many other places to choose from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I buy from a couple of facebook business's and they supply great product, think it is really a matter of doing your research as there are some I would never buy from. Websites do not mean they are any good, I am well aware of websites that are extremely dishonest and are just there for turnover, its like any other business, you have to do your research on them

• Like 1

Thai companies love that FB is free and easy to update.  If the business owners can't do it, their children or grandchildren can.

When we came here in 2008 we bought some granite for a table and I remember looking at the Chiang Mai granite suppliers websites and fell in love with a type of granite called "Blue Diamond", but it wasn't suitable for what we needed at the time.  

Fast forward to 2019 when we totally remodeled a condo and I revisited the granite suppliers websites and found they hadn't changed since 2008; they looked like they'd been built circa 2003-2004.  Our contractor took me to his favorite supplier and they said that yes, they used to have "Blue Diamond" but now they were into a different part of the mountain in Tak province for granite and Blue Diamond was rare.  They looked around in back and found some, but obviously they hadn't updated their website since someone had first built it for them.

Of course, they charged a premium for the Blue Diamond.  I used their cheapest granite for our balcony ledge where our cats lounge and must admit, it probably would have looked better in our kitchen than Blue Diamond.