2017 Macbook Pro display gone dark, "stage-lights" effect, where to fix it?

bamboozled

Yes, my 2017 Macbook Pro display has gone dark. Previous to this, it had the so called "stage-light" going on for a long time. It's a known issue, at least to users, also called "flex-gate". Not sure Apple cops to it. The effect: the screen darkens at the bottom in 8 places. Apparently, it's caused by a malfunctioning "flexible" cable that wears out completely and the screen goes dark. Long story short, I've read it can be fixed by replacing this flex cable only, and not the pricey display itself. Has anyone had luck doing this in Thailand, Chiang Mai especially would be helpful?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 9.15.50 AM.png

Thanks folks. I keep read conflicting things on whether or not it can be repaired or only the screen replaced. There are some videos online that show a very arduous process that. Another guy in Vietnam said a shop fixed it for him for $50 just replacing the cable. But I read also that the cable is soldered into the display. Do either of you know that this issue has been tackled at the aforementioned shops?

Edited by bamboozled

17 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

I was a Mac technician for years, had a look at that site and recommend sending email to [email protected] looks like they know what they are doing

Had my Macbook keyboard replaced there (3rd replacement, twice in Singapore & neither lasted more than 6 months) & the guy showed me my Macbook under a microscope explaining exactly what was wrong plus a couple of areas that needed cleaning up before they caused a problem (Which he did for free).

Touch wood, Keyboard is still great after 12 months... Very impressed won't hesitate to go back with any of my Apple products. 

• Like 2

Thanks again, all. It def sounds like there are some decent folks for repair and I appreciate getting the responses. The problem is, of course, that I use the machine daily so a down time such as sending it to Bkk I'll have to work into the plan. Nino3, you had the blacked out screen, the famous flexgate/stage lights issue? I read this morning that Apple will fix the issue for free on 2016 macbook pro 13" but not any other models. Mine is a 2017 15" but I suppose, as you point out, doesn't hurt to contact them. Maybe I'll get lucky. There was a class action suit apparently but it was dismissed.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks again, all. It def sounds like there are some decent folks for repair and I appreciate getting the responses. The problem is, of course, that I use the machine daily so a down time such as sending it to Bkk I'll have to work into the plan. Nino3, you had the blacked out screen, the famous flexgate/stage lights issue? I read this morning that Apple will fix the issue for free on 2016 macbook pro 13" but not any other models. Mine is a 2017 15" but I suppose, as you point out, doesn't hurt to contact them. Maybe I'll get lucky. There was a class action suit apparently but it was dismissed.

Personally, I would go to an Apple store (the main ones in Bkk at CentralWorld or Iconsiam) and speak to an English speaking Manager.

There is an English/thai guy at ICONSIAM (name JP?) and an American at Central.

They know the score and will sort it out.

• Like 1

Thanks Razzell. I'm in Chiang Mai, however. I have not encountered any English speakers here in CM at the Apple store. My bad for not speaking Thai, of course. Hmm, time for a road trip?? I'll at least try here in CM at the Apple store. But I won't expect much other than "change the screen". Never know, though! Thanks for you input!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nino3 said:

My machine had the same problem. I procrastinated and didn't get it into Apple before the deadline but they still replaced it at no cost. This was only a couple months ago. I would contact Apple.

This, as now Apple has a real presence in TH.

Had the same problem and it was a recall and fixed by Apple.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, purplesage said:

Magic Com Service on 3rd floor in Pantip Plaza, Chiang Mai. The guy is competent and apparently speaks some English.

I know this shop and like this guy, Khun A, if I'm not mistaken. If the Apple shop won't have me, I'll certainly swing by.

22 hours ago, AwwYesNice1 said:

mac book pro 

Well it depends on the size and year. They are repairing the 13 inch model only. I'm not sure of all the years but I know 2016, yes. My 2017 15 inch was refused repair yesterday, as I suspected. 23,000 to replace screen. I did not do it. Not sure what I'll do. Using it with the external, for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish up...I got my machine fixed at Magic in Pantip Plaza, khun A. He replaced the cable connecting the display to the body for 4500 baht. Instead of 23,000 to replace the whole screen. My display hasn't looked so crisp and new for a long time. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, only the cable. Not sure why Apple won't replace the cable and only the whole screen.

• Like 1