Fleeing Thailand for Copacabana - Rooster tried and it backfired miserably!

rooster59

Read 55% of the post , maybe come back to read the rest later. Quote in your post reminded me of this song.

Ahh the good old days. I actually saw them at a club in Boston, MA  back in the day

Edited by Tony125
correction
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had a friend who owned a bar with that name in Soi 33. Is there some connection which I should be aware of? 

Unfortunately, he died in the UK a couple of years ago. He is sadly missed for his great humour, generosity and lack of golfing skills.

2 hours ago, Spellforce said:

I did exactly the opposite: I was working in many unsafe countries for many years in Africa (but language was not a barrier as I can speak french, english and portuguese) and I choose to settle in Thailand 18 years ago.

Even if was maybe one of the bigger "butterfly" in Thailand, I knew one thing: everybody ends with one woman and then your priorities change in your new "normal" life. What matters then is security, nice people, good infrastructures, hospitals, shopping malls, internet, schools for your children etc... I'm still really happy to have choosen to settle in Thailand.

me too - 100%

Rooster!

"For goodness sake Thailand. Do you want domestic tourists? Look, I’m all in favor of charging foreign tourists more, perhaps several times more."

"But taxpayers? People who have lived in Thailand, work here, raise families, contribute to the economy, have long term visas? It may not be a huge sum of money but 200 baht when the wife is 40 baht is galling. I wouldn’t pay."

I made a suggestion once, but of course, it was just to my Thai and expat friends. Do like they do at Disney World in Florida. Everyone pays the same rate, but Florida residents get a discount! Who doesn't love a discount? The same can be applied here in Thailand. I have a Thai drivers license, yellow book and pink card, but for what? You are correct, Thais do need, and want serious change. They need fresh, young, intelligent, progressive thinkers incharge. And just like you, I live here, my wife and a bought property here, we built a house, and move in just a few days ago. And for all that, what do I get? Medical insurance that more than doubled if I want to continue to spend all my retirement dollars here in Thailand. I am not just complaining, I am simply pointing out what seems pretty obvious to me. Why is where you were born, like the color of your skin, religious belief, or sexual preference, a qualifier for being an "acting citizen" in the country you call home? Gotta run, the wife is making tom yum kung for dinner, my favorite.

• Like 2