Fleeing Thailand for Copacabana - Rooster tried and it backfired miserably!

rooster59

4 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Nice Rooster !!! You still can make a story out of Nothing !!! ... ...  Like "Escape to South America" !!! What were you Thinking !!! ... They cut peoples hands off over there !!! Just to get their Watches !!! ... Like The American Dream !!! ... Gone Feral, out of control ! ... and just basically wrong !!!   ... (With out even arriving at their religion !!!! ????) ...  ...  Yes and Good on you, for YES, once again finding something OK to say about and in Good Old Thailand. ... Good on you. ... And I would look forward to browsing you book ??? 

Still just loosing my mind, and out of control, ... and Patience !!! ... Stranded in Australia. ... Mark Mark ..MARK !!! ..

(Like Hospital Cover to 3,000,000 THB !!! ... Yes the F' word !!! $2 or 3,000 ? AUD a year !!! if they will give it to you in the first Place !!! ... Like it makes 200B to see a Thai cave sound pretty cheap to me !!! !!!) ... I can just hear Bernard Trinks Ghost Laughing !!! as he roles over in his Grave !!! ... TIT !!!

(If you have University qualifications, are a Computer Programmer, and top CEO, 35 and with a LOT of energy !!! ... So you can understand the Process and make the journey to be able to get back in there !!! .... The new Must have FUNDS !!! ... "Bogans, Exclusion" ??? ... (And Old People, who are not VERY Rich !) ... .... Erra has arrived ???

Nurse increase Ting tong Marks medicine dosage and engage the brakes on his wheel chair. Then again maybe decrease it? 

• Haha 1

Well said.

I would buy your book, but spend at least a year or two on it so it is memorable and worth keeping. Remember we all want details, juicy details!

Once you've done that you should try your hand at some fiction set in Thailand.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 2

What about the neighbouring Spanish speaking countries, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, are they any better. 

I agree with the sentiment that Thailand is still a good place to live, but there is always that bit of uncertainty about the future which has you keeping an eye open for a plan B

4 hours ago, FarangFB said:

And Rio was way safer back in the 80s when Rooster had his experience. 

Brazil might look appealing from afar, but once you're in there you will have to deal with lots of issues that you never had to worry about in Thailand.

- Crime. Not just a petty snatch theft, but actual life threating (knife/gun) situations and even kidnapping. Criminals there will study your routine and find the best moment/place to act.

- Inefficiency/bureaucracy . Thought some Thai govt offices are slow and difficult? Now imagine them being a lot more slow, unwilling, grumpy and zero English. On top of everything the places are more crowded, harder to park and much longer queues.

- Renting a property is a legal nightmare. Brazilian law gives the tenant too many rights (almost impossible to evict someone in the short term) and it forces landlords to demand contracts that have difficult requirements even if you're a Brazilian with a job. They usually require a "fiador" which is a person that will be responsible for paying if you default.

- Slow service and unwillingness to sell. Some supermarkets for example, huge lines at the counters and the cashiers working snail-paced. Or going to a clothes shop and the seller talks to you like you're being a nuisance. I took a Thai lady to Brazil and she was amazed in a clothes shop and told me "look like this lady not want to sell to us"

- Traffic. Large cities such as Rio and Sao Paulo will have traffic congestions every day of the week, maybe except Sundays. Imagine the Bangkok traffic but with more bitter people, aggressive bikers (don't even dream of hitting one accidentally), beggars and the occasional crime as well if you're not in a bulletproof car.

- Society parasites: be hassled and ripped off in every corner. In Sao Paulo for example, be ready to pay the watcher (flanelinha) upfront if you park your car on a PUBLIC street to protect your car from himself. But even paying him doesn't mean he will be responsible for anything if someone else messes up your car.

- Large areas of main cities are off-limits. Rio has absolutely massive favelas that can neighbour high end areas, one wrong turn and you're taking serious risks, some favelas are guarded by teenagers with rifles that might shoot anything looking suspicious like a lost car with a gps-induced route mistake.  Sao Paulo has less favelas but a large portion of the city center looks like a zombie apocalypse movie, with drug addicted people and armed dealers literally blocking many roads. They wont shoot you on sight because you might be a buyer, but not a pleasant sight (google cracolandia).

- some things are crazy expensive. For example electronics, try to buy an iphone and you'll see that it's the most expensive in the world.

Brazil has it's plus side also, there are nice places, beautiful beaches, excellent resorts and the food is amazing, nowhere in the world the pizza is as good as in Sao Paulo, and from Sao Paulo you can drive a couple hours to the north and enjoy a weekend with a cool mountain climate or to the south and have a beach. People can be very nice if you're in the right circles. The currency is ruined making it quite cheap for foreigners.

Thanks for sharing you're knowledge of Brazil. It is very interesting. I googled Cracolandia !? crazy !!! It really looks like a zombie movie !

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But taxpayers? People who have lived in Thailand, work here, raise families, contribute to the economy, have long term visas? It may not be a huge sum of money but 200 baht when the wife is 40 baht is galling. I wouldn’t pay.

There you go,  talking about all the whinging ( i think that british for whining, no )  usual expats who have nothing else to do but complain, complain,  com........Oh !  wait a second.   you are talking about YOURSELF !   5555        

Its ok roosie ,   we are all allowed a little outrage now and then.    Just be careful you don't get the nickname  Kee Bon !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But do I see so much that needs to be put right about Thailand?

After years of bashing anyone that had a complaint about the way things are going.........

Nice to see you stepped out of your condo ,  gone through your tunnel vision...... and come out the other end.    " i see the light ! "

explored Brazil once for four weeks.left early for final week in thailand !

explored India once for four weeks. left one week ealy back to uk.

worked and travelled in many places. thailand remains the best despite the familiar complaints.

i never returned to India or Brazil. my time in lawless <deleted>hole hellish countries long done….

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rumak said:

There you go,  talking about all the whinging ( i think that british for whining, no )  usual expats who have nothing else to do but complain, complain,  com........Oh !  wait a second.   you are talking about YOURSELF !   5555        

Its ok roosie ,   we are all allowed a little outrage now and then.    Just be careful you don't get the nickname  Kee Bon !

Not a chance, my nickname is more like Kee Boy ขี้บ่อย. If the amount of "follow through" is anything to go by. Any idea where you can get adult pampers in Thailand?

6 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

explored Brazil once for four weeks.left early for final week in thailand !

explored India once for four weeks. left one week ealy back to uk.

worked and travelled in many places. thailand remains the best despite the familiar complaints.

i never returned to India or Brazil. my time in lawless <deleted>hole hellish countries long done….

I went to India more than a dozen times. Trying to win rupees at Scrabble mostly.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

@rooster, I can only hope you are fully vaccinated.

Not against Covid, but against lead poisoning.

Because you are for sure making yourself a target!

(I'm not sure if you can vaccinate against concrete boots)

DOnt worry about Rooster, he's got friends in high places. A mate of his was an astronaut. 

3 hours ago, rott said:

What about the neighbouring Spanish speaking countries, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, are they any better. 

I agree with the sentiment that Thailand is still a good place to live, but there is always that bit of uncertainty about the future which has you keeping an eye open for a plan B

I'm nearing plan Z, it's a worry.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Well said.

I would buy your book, but spend at least a year or two on it so it is memorable and worth keeping. Remember we all want details, juicy details!

Once you've done that you should try your hand at some fiction set in Thailand.

Thanks for the advice. It's all in my head so shouldn't take too long. I'll try fiction after as you suggest. It'll doubtless be crime fiction based in Thailand. Stay tuned! ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But do I see so much that needs to be put right about Thailand?

Of course I do.

You're lucky in that you can post that freely on here, 99% of us would face the ridiculous "go home if you don't like it" response if we posted something similar.

I love living here but it's far from perfect, particularly when it comes to the unelected leader and his cronies.

8 hours ago, FarangFB said:

And Rio was way safer back in the 80s when Rooster had his experience. 

Brazil might look appealing from afar, but once you're in there you will have to deal with lots of issues that you never had to worry about in Thailand.

- Crime. Not just a petty snatch theft, but actual life threating (knife/gun) situations and even kidnapping. Criminals there will study your routine and find the best moment/place to act.

- Inefficiency/bureaucracy . Thought some Thai govt offices are slow and difficult? Now imagine them being a lot more slow, unwilling, grumpy and zero English. On top of everything the places are more crowded, harder to park and much longer queues.

- Renting a property is a legal nightmare. Brazilian law gives the tenant too many rights (almost impossible to evict someone in the short term) and it forces landlords to demand contracts that have difficult requirements even if you're a Brazilian with a job. They usually require a "fiador" which is a person that will be responsible for paying if you default.

- Slow service and unwillingness to sell. Some supermarkets for example, huge lines at the counters and the cashiers working snail-paced. Or going to a clothes shop and the seller talks to you like you're being a nuisance. I took a Thai lady to Brazil and she was amazed in a clothes shop and told me "look like this lady not want to sell to us"

- Traffic. Large cities such as Rio and Sao Paulo will have traffic congestions every day of the week, maybe except Sundays. Imagine the Bangkok traffic but with more bitter people, aggressive bikers (don't even dream of hitting one accidentally), beggars and the occasional crime as well if you're not in a bulletproof car.

- Society parasites: be hassled and ripped off in every corner. In Sao Paulo for example, be ready to pay the watcher (flanelinha) upfront if you park your car on a PUBLIC street to protect your car from himself. But even paying him doesn't mean he will be responsible for anything if someone else messes up your car.

- Large areas of main cities are off-limits. Rio has absolutely massive favelas that can neighbour high end areas, one wrong turn and you're taking serious risks, some favelas are guarded by teenagers with rifles that might shoot anything looking suspicious like a lost car with a gps-induced route mistake.  Sao Paulo has less favelas but a large portion of the city center looks like a zombie apocalypse movie, with drug addicted people and armed dealers literally blocking many roads. They wont shoot you on sight because you might be a buyer, but not a pleasant sight (google cracolandia).

- some things are crazy expensive. For example electronics, try to buy an iphone and you'll see that it's the most expensive in the world.

Brazil has it's plus side also, there are nice places, beautiful beaches, excellent resorts and the food is amazing, nowhere in the world the pizza is as good as in Sao Paulo, and from Sao Paulo you can drive a couple hours to the north and enjoy a weekend with a cool mountain climate or to the south and have a beach. People can be very nice if you're in the right circles. The currency is ruined making it quite cheap for foreigners.

"Looks like this lady not want to sell to us" I have the same feeling in Thailand nowadays. Staff to busy with their smartphone.

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It may not be a huge sum of money but 200 baht when the wife is 40 baht is galling. I wouldn’t pay. 

Says the person who bragged about going to a horse racing track, which must be one of the more stupid ways to lose money on the planet. ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

Do you get a Medal of Honour for lasting so long? ????

I actually didnt mind it for me but our government is hell bent on handing over power to the indigenous by 2040. They are teaching white kids they are privileged and non white kids they are born with a disadvantage. Its all hard to believe.

• Sad 1