1 year+ stay in Thailand

When I went to an agent (whom I'd recommend actually, PM if you want, they advertise here) for help with a "retirement" visa there were others there working on "volunteer," this was in March.  I'm a newbie but it seems to me that you should talk to an agent before making any assumptions about what is/is-not possible, and if you don't like the answer try a more expensive agent before giving up.

My only concrete advice however is: get your questions answered and prices quoted before you go to Thailand.  You will probably surrender your passport for a month or so; keep that in mind since you will need the passport to secure accommodation (for AirBnB maybe, maybe-not).  I would be sure to have a very stable place to stay for at least two months before giving up the passport.  It all worked out great for me but it would have been a huge mess if I'd gone to the agent before renting my condo.

Also depending on your financials the Thailand Elite Visa might be for you.  I'm over 50 and might even do it.  Expensive but you can make longer-term plans around it.  Diamond hands! :-)

Oh and I'm learning Thai and have so far mostly learned vast respect for those who have learned it!  It's really hard.  If you do an education visa for a language school, the renewal might depend on showing progress with the language.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:54 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not so. The Pattaya orphanage had/ has resident volunteers to help and has done so for many decades.

I was going to volunteer there myself, but got married instead.

Completely legit and above board.

Totally different thing, you're talking about actually volunteering, the "volunteer visa" being talked about here has no volunteering involved.

2 hours ago, matteo73 said:

I also have the Volunteer visa expiring at the end of December and all agents say it cannot be renewed now. As of now, any Volunteer visa cannot be renewed or obtained new.

That is correct. Non O volunteering along with their extensions  via agent currently are off the table.