You may view this as a plea or someone venting to the ether. I'll try to be brief.

I"m looking for long stay options. I'm over 50. Seems like Non-O, Non-OA or even STV would meet my needs. I've been enduring the indignities of collecting documents for my new Immigration overlords. And when I say indignities I mean my doctor of 20 years made me take a Syphilis test for stage 3 syphilis. I'd have thought things were pretty obvious at that stage. 

I lean to OA as I don't want to move money immediately. I've been seeing someone for a couple years and it seems to be moving towards the exchange of shiny carbon rocks which would change the visa anyway.

I've spent the day looking at insurance options and I'm knackered. It appears to me that all of the long stay visas are weighted down by not one but two insurance requirements: the visa requirement and the Pass requirement. But the Thailand Pass requirement REQUIRES the policy minimums through the FULL TERM effectively raising the cost of the insurance to levels that won't be reached unless I have a triple bypass and the ladies of Soi 6 are my attending nurses.

I am frustrated. I kid you not I was looking for an email for PM Chanocha before deciding to post this.

One thing I noticed is that even Mister Prakan still has the old policies limits and as soon as you stretch that to an OA duration you yield ludicrous quotes like the 60,000 that one company sent me.

I'd appreciate any insight or even a pat on the head and and warm glass of milk at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Use an agent for the non O and 12 month extension. No funds in bank required.

Cost ~ 25k 

Plus sleepless nights waiting for a knock on the door.

Not the best plan.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, night_rider said:

If the agent fee is comparable to the insurance cost doesn't it make more sense to go OA and have 1-2 years plus insurance coverage?

The OP stated......"......reasons for delaying a transfer of funds".

Delaying the funds implies that it might be option in the future.

A non O-A would lock him into useless insurance ongoing for all extensions.

In fact many folk with extensions to non O-A are planning to kill off their non O-A and obtain non O in the future.

Non O-A still good option for those folk spending time in Thailand and also other countries. As we know can obtain 2 years out of a non O-A (the first yr includes multi entry) and big bonus for some is that your dosh remains in home country or in investments.

Edited by DrJack54