Visitor to Chiang Mai

MRToMRT

Is CM (and CR) now fully OK for visitors, are hotels and guest houses open? Seems a silly question but I was thinking of visiting for a few weeks to get out of BKK for some cooler weather and I realised I had no idea what the situation is up there.

Many people are thinking of getting out of CM  and going to places like KK where there is less virus. Many people in CM are not vaccinated. A lawyer took the virus to the courts so they are all online again. The land offices are empty. Central Festival was busy. I saw and heard about three planes a day planes a day. Buy you hsve to remember we just had a long weekend 

• Confused 1

Better check on your hotel(s) of choice: the Centara Duangtawan has delayed re-opening for guests until December. As of Oct. 20:

Duangtawan Hotel Chiang Mai Open for reservations in the project "We travel together" from today until January 26, 2022 at 11:00 PM.
Stay from December 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022.
Starting room rate You pay only 960 baht including breakfast.

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

Of course you can come, but Chiang Mai is pretty much a shuttered city.  There is no more Night Bazaar, no more Walking Streets, very few restaurants and hotels are open, and most tourism related sights and businesses are closed.  There is nothing to do, nowhere to go, and nothing to see.  Bring some reading material.

ROFL. "nowhere to go, and nothing to see" - get a car and try leaving the old city, Nimman or where ever you live. You wouldn't know COVID was a thing outside of the center of town. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

ROFL. "nowhere to go, and nothing to see" - get a car and try leaving the old city, Nimman or where ever you live. You wouldn't know COVID was a thing outside of the center of town. 

This. But... most CM residents live in the many suburbs of CM. Day to day life is fairly normal in the suburbs now. Tourists are still gonna stay close to the moat or Nimman which, as a "local", I never visit anyway, so closed or not it doesn't affect me. When I drive through town on occasion it is still looking pretty dire.

Are there any tourist destinations in Thailand that are not effectively dead right now?

Suburbs are kinda back to normal except trying to get a drink with your meal.  You basically to the nudge, nudge, wink, wink to ask for a beer.  Tired of being hit on by Katoey waiters in response... Please allow drinks with dinner at least in CM.

9 hours ago, CM Dad said:

Of course you can come, but Chiang Mai is pretty much a shuttered city.  There is no more Night Bazaar, no more Walking Streets, very few restaurants and hotels are open, and most tourism related sights and businesses are closed.  There is nothing to do, nowhere to go, and nothing to see.  Bring some reading material.

Plenty of hotels open, restaurants are open including drink options, plenty of coffeeshops are open, malls are open, massage open, south gate and other markets with street food are open, zoo is open, etc etc etc. = you talk nonsense.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Plenty of hotels open, restaurants are open including drink options, plenty of coffeeshops are open, malls are open, massage open, south gate and other markets with street food are open, zoo is open, etc etc etc. = you talk nonsense.

The museum was open also. She took pictures of us to show her boss. We were her first visitors in 18 months. 

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Personally I would save your money its not worth the trip ????

It beautiful but not chiang mai city. I drove to Nan Province then on the road of car sick to Chaing Rai went to the large tea plantation. There is no people so you have it all to yourself. Outside of Chiang mai plenty of nice places 

IMG_20210916_105046.jpg

12 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Which restaurants in town are legally selling alcohol with a meal?

On 11/3/2021 at 9:40 AM, CM Dad said:

the one good thing is that silly mask everyone is forced to wear might help a little bit with the smoke that is now starting to arrive ..........