Need Insurance When returning to Thailand

AXA Sawasdee Thailand: Inbound Travel Insurance

> Meet(s) 50,000USD health insurance requirement of application for Thailand Pass and COE including Phuket Sandbox and Samui Sandbox

> Provide(s) insurance certificate including COVID-19 coverage statement

https://www.axa.co.th/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

Edited by jerrymahoney

7 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

AXA Sawasdee Thailand: Inbound Travel Insurance

> Meet(s) 50,000USD health insurance requirement of application for Thailand Pass and COE including Phuket Sandbox and Samui Sandbox

> Provide(s) insurance certificate including COVID-19 coverage statement

https://www.axa.co.th/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

Any idea how much is this insurance? You are asked to fill out a form for a quote?

19 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Any idea how much is this insurance? You are asked to fill out a form for a quote?

No -- you need to get a quote. And it seems you must be outside of Thailand for 30 days to qualify for the insurance as they ask:

Have you travelled to other country * in the past 30 days prior to the policy effective date (including transit)? 

* other than your departure country and your departure country CANNOT be Thailand

Edited by jerrymahoney

27 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

For 30 days:

1600031084_AXA-Sawasdee-Thailand-png-19204408-.png.090972288880e248018e9198cdef3e8b.png

Will depend on your age and where flying from.

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

@Chad3000 Meant to say above, you can find out what it would be for you on the site, the quote is instant and shown on screen. Just fill in bogus email and name details.

Want to thank you for this Salerno. Game changer.

I'm posting this as fyi.

AXA site quoting 265 days ins general policy 1.75m. Says nothing about covid.

Less than 20k THB.

Screenshot_2021-11-05-06-29-30-76_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

AXA site quoting 265 days ins general policy 1.75m. Says nothing about covid.

How does that stack up with others you've looked at?

AXA is also known to cover asymptomatic if you test positive on arrival. One "gotcha" though, you got a quote for 265 days, it's single trip so could curtail travel plans if you intended to travel.

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

How does that stack up with others you've looked at?

AXA is also known to cover asymptomatic if you test positive on arrival. One "gotcha" though, you got a quote for 265 days, it's single trip so could curtail travel plans if you intended to travel.

The Thai government mafia insurance was 43k. Non starter.

It was for 100k unchanged and I had to apparently take one year. If that could be adjusted as AXA I'd expect that cost to be about the same. Maybe if I clicked thru or got a proper quote it would be different. But forced one year and Govt site still 100k?? That's ridiculous.

Single trip. It's fine this year. I think with all the hassles our international travels are done. I'm not going to be splurging out here either just to punish the government tax base. Sorry if that sounds petty. Wife, self have seen, done enough in Thailand.

Single trip. I'd started the insurance the day we return. The information below says must start insurance before travel so I may need to extend three weeks but is this still single trip? One RT or one flight in? Guess I need to contact.

This is emergency family trip. This whole thing is a charade. A few quality ATK tests administered by medical personnel. Done.

Edited by Chad3000

8 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

The information below says must start insurance before travel so I may need to extend three weeks but is this still single trip? One RT or one flight in?

One flight in, starts when you land at Swampy. Why extend, just looking to comply to get in aren't you?

AS I understand it from multiple topics, if you are on one-year extension of stay and you leave during that extension period, upon re-entry you only have to provide the $50K coverage for the remaining duration of that extension.

So if your extension  started JAN1 for 365 days, and you re-enter the Kingdom on DEC1, you only have to provide insurance coverage for 31 days.  

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

you only have to provide the $50K coverage for the remaining duration of that extension.

So if your extension  started JAN1 for 365 days, and you re-enter the Kingdom on DEC1, you only have to provide insurance coverage for 31 days.  

Only lol.

Yes, that is all correct as I understand it as well.

The trouble is for those that have been waiting to fly for a year and need to go.

I'll be stuck buying insurance for eight months.

Eight months despite having SSO and Aetna insurance. My covid policy will lapse a week after I re.enter.

14 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Yes. That's how I'd originally configured it just dunno what they believe constitutes a trip.

The policy is cancelled as soon as you leave so my understanding is "single trip" = fly in, wander around Thailand as long as you want but don't leave the country or your insurance is dead.

There's a report of someone coming back recently with a throwaway ticket to cut the insurance to 2 weeks (I think it was) and he got away with it. Bit risky IMO as I've also read reports of people on O-A only getting stamped in for as long as their insurance lasted (not sure how that works though ... who checked the insurance and when?).

"coverage for the remaining duration of that extension" I've seen that posted repeatedly on different forums but there is an exception! I flew in 4 weeks ago. Stamped in until July, 2022 when I will renew my extension. Only had to buy 90 days of insurance. Reason is I showed a paid return business class ticket because I will return to the US within 90 days.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

@Chad3000 Meant to say above, you can find out what it would be for you on the site, the quote is instant and shown on screen. Just fill in bogus email and name details.

Just tried that on behalf of a friend in Australia. Seems like they want verifiable details before a quote appears. Not so keen to enter bogus Passport No. and mobile!

45 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

"coverage for the remaining duration of that extension" I've seen that posted repeatedly on different forums but there is an exception! I flew in 4 weeks ago. Stamped in until July, 2022 when I will renew my extension. Only had to buy 90 days of insurance. Reason is I showed a paid return business class ticket because I will return to the US within 90 days.

Excellent, you're the second person I've seen recently. Good to know.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nojohndoe said:

Yes, that page then progresses to another asking more details. Passport No. and Mobile No. as compulsory fields

No need to go that far, I think that'd be for actually buying it. How old is he roughly? I'll do a quick dummy run.

1 hour ago, Chad3000 said:

Eight months despite having SSO and Aetna insurance. My covid policy will lapse a week after I re.enter.

If you have an Aetna policy that provides at least $50K general medical coverage, then you would just need a statement from them SIMIILAR to this:

https://thailandgi.cdn.axa-contento-118412.eu/thailandgi/14f7160b-9dcb-4535-9d85-5b6f3927ed6f_Sawasdee-Document-02.pdf

Entering-Thailand-after-1-November-THandENG-final-page-003-scaled.thumb.jpg.50941bfe259563c07fa62a883dcb4747.jpg

Edited by jerrymahoney

6 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Thanks for that ! When I  clicked  "Get a Quote" I had a different result !

No worries, not too bad a cost to get back in and AXA have paid out for people testing positive on arrival so worth a few K to cover your backside I reckon.

18 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

If you have an Aetna policy that provides at least $50K general medical coverage, then you would just need a statement from them SIMIILAR to this:

https://thailandgi.cdn.axa-contento-118412.eu/thailandgi/14f7160b-9dcb-4535-9d85-5b6f3927ed6f_Sawasdee-Document-02.pdf

Entering-Thailand-after-1-November-THandENG-final-page-003-scaled.thumb.jpg.50941bfe259563c07fa62a883dcb4747.jpg

Thanks. It's not that high and policy ends well before my end if extension.

Nice tip though.

Also have SSO insurance someone said I can use that as well.