Need Insurance When returning to Thailand

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

No worries, not too bad a cost to get back in and AXA have paid out for people testing positive on arrival so worth a few K to cover your backside I reckon.

Absolutely. I have passed on the info. Stubborn sod has been insisting he has read that on a Tourist Visa he would be exempt !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nojohndoe said:

Absolutely. I have passed on the info. Stubborn sod has been insisting he has read that on a Tourist Visa he would be exempt !

Where's he flying out from? If Sydney or Melb he can get the PCR test at the airport for $150, given the above thinking he was exempt, maybe also best to remind him if going via Singapore the test has to be 48 hrs before flight not 72 hrs that Thailand wants.

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

AXA is also known to cover asymptomatic if you test positive on arrival. 

I think that approach was specific to the old Covid-only policies. It appears AXA's coverage for Covid under this policy is limited to "medically necessary" treatment. In the case of asymptomatic Covid, little, if anything, would be medically necessary including the cost of a hospital or hospitel stay. I think the old Covid-only policies addressed this issue better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think that approach was specific to the old Covid-only policies. It appears AXA's coverage for Covid under this policy is limited to "medically necessary" treatment. In the case of asymptomatic Covid, little, if anything, would be medically necessary including the cost of a hospital or hospitel stay. I think the old Covid-only policies addressed this issue better.

Damn, that's worth checking, thanks for raising it.

@Etaoin Shrdlu

Do you know what it said previously? 

Somewhat ambiguous, so worth checking, but I think it covers it:

COVID-19-travel-insurance-for-Thailand-Pass-5-AXA-Thailand.png.0412697f5cdca14d9b68159ea64f06e9.png

-FAQ-Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-AXA-Saw-AXA-Thailand.png.9edbec780f37bfe9b0f27e29c52c61c6.png

IMO you are "quarantined" due to "medical necessity" as in they don't want you spreading it. If the wording has changed from before it would be nice to know what the changes are.

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

@Etaoin Shrdlu

Do you know what it said previously? 

Somewhat ambiguous, so worth checking, but I think it covers it:

COVID-19-travel-insurance-for-Thailand-Pass-5-AXA-Thailand.png.0412697f5cdca14d9b68159ea64f06e9.png

-FAQ-Frequently-Asked-Questions-about-AXA-Saw-AXA-Thailand.png.9edbec780f37bfe9b0f27e29c52c61c6.png

IMO you are "quarantined" due to "medical necessity" as in they don't want you spreading it. If the wording has changed from before it would be nice to know what the changes are.

The above clearly states "based upon medical necessity". Few expenses related to asymptomatic Covid are considered medically necessary by the insurance industry.

Asymptomatic Covid cases are quarantined due to public health policy, not the necessity of medical treatment for the quarantined person. 

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
Additional comment.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Salerno said:

AXA is also known to cover asymptomatic

Can you point to any wording, the AXA policy wording is all in Thai, that supports this claim? Nevermind, see this addressed in a post above.

In general, I think we should define terms like "COVID Insurance", "Health Insurance" and "Travel Insurance".

I've seen other plans, I think it was a list of ~ ten or so - of course I can't find it now - which detailed "Asymptomatic" coverage. This needed to cover any "involuntary quarantine" at a facility, for those testing positive, and not having any symptoms.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Shows AXA and Tune as providing Asymptomatic coverage.

Edited by mtls2005

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you point to any wording, the AXA policy wording is all in Thai, that supports this claim?

Nope because 1 I haven't looked that deeply into it, 2 I don't know if the wording has changed recently. My comment was based on that was it's selling point and reports from people that actually had positive tests and AXA covered all costs.

I have dropped a message to an AXA rep, hopefully he'll get back to me.

Edited by Salerno

55 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Where's he flying out from? If Sydney or Melb he can get the PCR test at the airport for $150, given the above thinking he was exempt, maybe also best to remind him if going via Singapore the test has to be 48 hrs before flight not 72 hrs that Thailand wants.

Ok ! Is the 48 hours a Singapore requirement because they still compel "entry" even for transfer flights? Is a long long time since last via Singapore.

3 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Ok ! Is the 48 hours a Singapore requirement because they still compel "entry" even for transfer flights? Is a long long time since last via Singapore.

"Travellers entering or transiting through Singapore, including Singapore citizens and permanent residents, are required to take a pre-departure Covid-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test within 48 hours before the scheduled departure date of their flight (i.e. passengers departing on 3 September can take the test any time from 1 September onwards)."

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us/travel-info/covid-19/

• Thanks 1

The old Covid-only policies were mostly personal accident products that had been amended to provide cover for mandatory quarantine expenses including those not strictly medically necessary. I think this was possible under these policies because the cover is quite narrow. It may be similar in concept to the "hospital cash" benefits that some PA policies will pay for each day spent in hospital and which is not linked to expenses incurred.

The new AXA product is a standard travel accident policy not limited to Covid-related medical expenses. As such, it provides broader cover for medical expenses and underwriters will have additional considerations when they price the product and may also impose limits and restrictions to try to keep the risk within their appetite.

We will have to see what local insurers end up offering. Perhaps the Thai government will lean on them to cover all mandatory quarantine costs. Working against this may be the local insurers' reinsurance agreements that would not cover this, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I did notice this on one provider's (local, repping Allianz) page:

Asymptomatic cover    Yes-*Only if you are required to get treated at a hospital by a doctor.

What about asymptomatic cover ?
Yes our policies will provide cover for asymptomatic conditions when you are required to get treated. Our policies will cover for the medical expenses up to the amount stated on the insurance coverage table.

https://misterprakan.com/en/pass/thailand-pass

Does anyone know what the range of costs are for asymptomatic quarantine for 14 days*? Assume no symptoms, no medical treatment required.

* or whatever is required? I've seen examples from 4 days to 21 days.

Edited by mtls2005

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The insurance is required for all entries to the country. It does does not matter what category of visa or extension of stay you have.

Yes, with the exception from those with a work permit and social card as addition to their visa/extension

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Does anyone know what the range of costs are for asymptomatic quarantine for 14 days*? Assume no symptoms, no medical treatment required.

I posted some actual reports a while back and just checked, still have the screenshots. Should give a rough idea:

818597057_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(7).png.d83c728b3730cc41569152d6cab769b6.png

704645587_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(6).png.12748447bba11f9fab31b45cc0721ef0.png

95252832_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(5).png.091f61b980cb46e920c6423d3dd51083.png

773690307_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(4).png.b5747b6a2698ac5f7a763c6ba001c510.png

1484964580_Thailand-ASQ-Hotels-Facebook(3).png.10f9573faeeb221f4caeea13eb30935a.png

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I posted some actual reports a while back and just checked, still have the screenshots. Should give a rough idea:

These all appear to be what might called "symptomatic"?

I was specifically looking for costs on Asymptomatic detention.

4 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Only lol.

Yes, that is all correct as I understand it as well.

The trouble is for those that have been waiting to fly for a year and need to go.

I'll be stuck buying insurance for eight months.

Eight months despite having SSO and Aetna insurance. My covid policy will lapse a week after I re.enter.

Why can't you use your Aetna policy?

@Etaoin Shrdlu @mtls2005 @Nojohndoe ( @Chad3000 in case can't get your other policies accepted)

Re AXA and positive asymptomatic, replay from an AXA agent to my enquiry:

"We fully cover any expenses due to a positive covid test. End of story. No gray area or fine print."

Obviously, if thinking of going with them do your own due diligence and get it in writing officially.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

@Etaoin Shrdlu @mtls2005 @Nojohndoe ( @Chad3000 in case can't get your other policies accepted)

"We fully cover any expenses due to a positive covid test. End of story. No gray area or fine print."

Obviously, if thinking of going with them do your own due diligence and get it in writing officially.

Thanks. I will pass that on if it becomes question. I am in Thailand and have my own full annual cover which includes covid but now the point has been raised I will investigate same detail !

5 hours ago, Salerno said:

The AXA rep's words are not consistent with the FAQ page of the AXA travel policy that clearly states that only medically necessary expenses are covered.  

The issue is whether expenses incurred for treatment or services mandated by Thai public health policy in the absence of actual medical need means they are "medically necessary" under the terms of the policy. Perhaps it is AXA's intent to cover such expenses, but I would prefer clearer language from the AXA rep, or better yet an endorsement to the policy clearly stating this.

17 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

No -- you need to get a quote. And it seems you must be outside of Thailand for 30 days to qualify for the insurance as they ask:

Have you travelled to other country * in the past 30 days prior to the policy effective date (including transit)? 

* other than your departure country and your departure country CANNOT be Thailand

So if we just want to travel to a foreign country for 10 days and come back to Thailand, which is the best insurance if we can't buy from AXA?

7 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The AXA rep's words are not consistent with the FAQ page of the AXA travel policy that clearly states that only medically necessary expenses are covered.  

The issue is whether expenses incurred for treatment or services mandated by Thai public health policy in the absence of actual medical need means they are "medically necessary" under the terms of the policy. Perhaps it is AXA's intent to cover such expenses, but I would prefer clearer language from the AXA rep, or better yet an endorsement to the policy clearly stating this.

As I said:

14 hours ago, Salerno said:

Bottom line, they are known to be a company that covers it, they are known to have covered expenses in the situation in hand. Up to individuals what they do.

I haven't followed all the threads on this topic, but has there been any clarity on exactly what needs to be uploaded for entry currently?

Unless they changed the website, there was only a single JPG allowed for the insurance requirement.

In my case, I have comprehensive worldwide insurance.  I only have my insurance card and policy coverage document, which is several pages.  No mention of Covid in the policy because of course treatment is covered.

Any firsthand reports of what is actually accepted now? Does it still need to specifically state that Covid is covered? (any comprehensive plan would cover this).

Do I have to get insurance from a Thai provider for the Thailand Pass or can I use any provider as long as they meet the $50000 of medical cover and covid19?

I have seen a lot of conflicting information including on the Thaiger that makes me concerned that my UK insurance provider will not be accepted 

Edited by Patts

6 minutes ago, Patts said:

Do I have to get insurance from a Thai provider for the Thailand Pass or can I use any provider as long as they meet the $50000 of medical cover and covid19?

Any provider, just make sure it specifies Covid cover in the policy.

• Thanks 1