Please help with this meter reading/ bill :-)

Hi Samui(ans) 

I’m a traveller recently stayed in one of those pay for your electric after you leave rentals on the island.

Just got sent this bill for the readings in pic (before & after pics) attached - 10175 - 10056 = 119 kHW x THB 6 = THB 714

Is this correct please? It’s not the amount that’s the problem - I just felt like my meter in the U.K. will read 12kwh/ not 120? 119kwh sounds like I was baking cakes all day when we were hardly at the property & only ran 1 of the 3 AC’s at almost fan level for less than 6hrs a day as we were out till silly hours & the GF doesn’t like to get cold :-)

Just would like to know if the bill is right before I start a row & look stupid over 20 odd quid. 

Thank you! 

0DEBBCC2-EF7C-44A6-BE5E-EDB1459E8573.png

DC958CFB-0DA2-4307-9821-53CF35584EE7.png

1 minute ago, johng said:

They have charged a bit more than normal at 6 baht per unit  should be about 4 baht 1 unit = 1 KWH     just pay the 20 quid and forget about it.

Thank you for your response! 
I will def pay it/ it’s not worth the grief - I just wanted to know according to the meter pics if I used 12kwh or 120 like they say (worried I don’t know how to read meters anymore ha! ????

• Like 1

Based on your images 119 kWh is correct. If there is an old fridge and an old aircon, they can use quite a bit of power. And if you furthermore rented a pool villa - you don't mention what you rented, and for how long time - then a pool pump easily consumes 10 kWh per day. An old aircon running 6 hours can easily consume up to between 2 and 3 kWh per day, more if it's a big unit...????

But always look at bright side of life, and be happy that you are only overcharged by about 50 percent of the official rate around 4 baht per kWh, som charge double up; i.e. 8 baht per kWh...????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

Based on your images 119 kWh is correct. If there is an old fridge and an old aircon, they can use quite a bit of power. And if you furthermore rented a pool villa - you don't mention what you rented, and for how long time - then a pool pump easily consumes 10 kWh per day. An old aircon running 6 hours can easily consume up to between 2 and 3 kWh per day, more if it's a big unit...????

But always look at bright side of life, and be happy that you are only overcharged by about 50 percent of the official rate around 4 baht per kWh, som charge double up; i.e. 8 baht per kWh...????????

Appreciate that! 
like I said the 6Baht is not the issue (there are always standing charges/ other fees etc to the owner: whole bill is 20quid which is minor really - I just wanted to know if it was meant to be 12kwh or 120! Thanks again! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WanderingGoat said:

Thank you for your response! 
I will def pay it/ it’s not worth the grief - I just wanted to know according to the meter pics if I used 12kwh or 120 like they say (worried I don’t know how to read meters anymore ha! ????

Just think of it as units as the other person said and not kwh. Always check the meter yourself and take your own photos, it's a little strange the first picture is so blurry and the second is crystal clear. If the person renting to you rents more than 5 units, it's illegal to charge more than the government rate but who is gonna fight that over 700 baht. 

• Thanks 1

As others have said, the number of units is correct.

The price per unit depends on a number of factors.

Government electricity (PEA) is anything from 2.5 to 4.5 baht per unit depending on location.

Private developments are always more expensive. Usually because the cables are underground and as such, are maintained privately. (More expensive maintenance.)

There are a few private developments in the area where I live and they all charge between 7 and 9 baht per unit.

One development used to charge 29 baht per unit but I believe that has been reduced now.

According to a real estate agent that I was talking to the other day, the most expensive electricity that he has come across is 45 baht per unit.

Your photos would tend to suggest that the meter is in a distribution box as in a private development. PEA meters tend to just sit on the electricity pole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

As others have said, the number of units is correct.

The price per unit depends on a number of factors.

Government electricity (PEA) is anything from 2.5 to 4.5 baht per unit depending on location.

Private developments are always more expensive. Usually because the cables are underground and as such, are maintained privately. (More expensive maintenance.)

There are a few private developments in the area where I live and they all charge between 7 and 9 baht per unit.

One development used to charge 29 baht per unit but I believe that has been reduced now.

According to a real estate agent that I was talking to the other day, the most expensive electricity that he has come across is 45 baht per unit.

Your photos would tend to suggest that the meter is in a distribution box as in a private development. PEA meters tend to just sit on the electricity pole.

Appreciate the response. Yes I got confused about the 120kwh use in a few days ha!