No change to alcohol ban at restaurants, bar closures for now in Pattaya-Chonburi Provincial Police hold meeting with Pattaya business owners

snoop1130

On 11/5/2021 at 12:40 AM, nobodysfriend said:

With all the people wanting to come here , ( applied for the Thai Pass ) , Thailand does not look ' finished ' .

It is not perfect , but in a ' better ' country you would certainly pay much more for a holiday , and have some disappointments as well ...

The girls moved away from the empty bars to ' Thai friendly ' etc ... but when the bars are full again , they will be there again ...

Correct there have been in excess now of 65,000 Thailand Pass applications, 2 of them were for me and wife (although still waiting for them) yet this is not just the UK, this is all over World which pales into insignificance compared with how may people usually come this time of year. Coupled with them going all over Thailand and not just Pattaya the whole thing is a drop in the ocean to what's needed and will have little or no bearing in the numbers going to Pattaya. Yes will increase but not enough to open Soi7 Soi 8 and anywhere else that's been totally decimated. That's a long way off sadly to say

On 11/8/2021 at 3:35 PM, AMFWolfie said:

Correct there have been in excess now of 65,000 Thailand Pass applications, 2 of them were for me and wife

I would suggest a large percentage of those applications are from returning expats, not tourists.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would suggest a large percentage of those applications are from returning expats, not tourists.  

Normally, at different time of the year I would agree with you, but everyone desperate to get away for a break/holiday want to go over Christmas especially in construction where everything closes down for 1-2 months. Ideal time to take a break and have money in their pockets burning a whole where they have worked the last 2 years and not been able to go anywhere.  These were the bread and butter of our bars and other bars when they were open. I suggest most returning ex-pats are already back with their families unless like me you brought them with us for the summer which is now firmly over in the UK and need to go back in the warm..... The worrying bit is how many rejections have been issued making the Thailand Pass a joke STOPPING tourists from going, several I personally know and now off to an all inclusive in Mexico..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

Normally, at different time of the year I would agree with you, but everyone desperate to get away for a break/holiday want to go over Christmas especially in construction where everything closes down for 1-2 months.

They may be desperate to get away for a holiday, but that doesn't mean they are desperate to jump through Thailand's hoops.

Ideal time to take a break and have money in their pockets burning a whole where they have worked the last 2 years and not been able to go anywhere. 

You do realize a lot of people were unemployed, and burnt through their savings and credit cards, just to pay their bills.  

Do you think they have money for a holiday?

These were the bread and butter of our bars and other bars when they were open.

True. 

Let's see if enough of them return to sustain bars going back onto full rents and full expenses here.

In any case, not all 65,000 applicants will be coming to Pattaya.  They will be spread across Thailand.

I suggest most returning ex-pats are already back with their families unless like me you brought them with us for the summer which is now firmly over in the UK and need to go back in the warm....

Why wouldn't most expats be like you?  I know a few that were here when their home country was in lock down, and then when Thailand went into lock down, they returned to their home country, most of which were coming out of lock down.  They will return when Thailand is out of lock down, which is in the near future.  They are expats, not tourists.  

The worrying bit is how many rejections have been issued making the Thailand Pass a joke STOPPING tourists from going, several I personally know and now off to an all inclusive in Mexico..

Another reason why many tourists will not bother coming back to Thailand until entry is as close to pre-covid as it can get, and it's not at that stage yet.  

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

They may be desperate to get away for a holiday, but that doesn't mean they are desperate to jump through Thailand's hoops.

You do realize a lot of people were unemployed, and burnt through their savings and credit cards, just to pay their bills.  

Do you think they have money for a holiday?

True. 

Let's see if enough of them return to sustain bars going back onto full rents and full expenses here.

In any case, not all 65,000 applicants will be coming to Pattaya.  They will be spread across Thailand.

Why wouldn't most expats be like you?  I know a few that were here when their home country was in lock down, and then when Thailand went into lock down, they returned to their home country, most of which were coming out of lock down.  They will return when Thailand is out of lock down, which is in the near future.  They are expats, not tourists.  

Another reason why many tourists will not bother coming back to Thailand until entry is as close to pre-covid as it can get, and it's not at that stage yet.  

Firstly we're not discussing "You do realize a lot of people were unemployed, and burnt through their savings and credit cards, just to pay their bills.  Do you think they have money for a holiday?" The people under this thread/discussion have money and time and are wanting to go back. Those struggling obviously are not going anywhere let alone to Thailand

Secondly "Why wouldn't most expats be like you?" Most don't have the luxury of homes or places to stay for long periods in both Thailand and their home country and those that do are a very, very small percentage of ex-pats making those trying to get to Thailand now and in the next few months.....tourists. Obviously a few will be returning ex-pats of that I have no doubt

Thirdly Agreed "Let's see if enough of them return to sustain bars going back onto full rents and full expenses here" What I think will happen is it will suddenly look busy convincing Thai's and some Farangs to open bars, pay key money and full rent but will be sadly disappointed come end of Jan/Feb when a lot leave to return to work only to be replaced with far less people prepared to jump through hoops. That said, many I know use an on-line agent like https://royalvacationdmc.com/thailand-1-day-quarantine-packages/ who basically do everything for you. They book the 1 day quarantine hotel, AXA insurance and complete the Thailand Pass. All they do is send copies of passport and Covid Vaccination Certificate available easily of the NHS app and the agent  does the rest. Therefor the "hoops" diminish all for about £25-40 which is all they add to the price of the package and <deleted> all for these type of single male tourists. Personally now with hindsight, I wish I had done the same and saved myself the grief. No different from using an agent in Thailand for the marriage or retirement visa every year apart from the cost..

And finally, "coming back to Thailand until entry is as close to pre-covid" Is probably never going to happen and that applies to anywhere in the world including the UK. It really does depend on how little the "traveller" has to do and I believe as travel agents start to re-appear they will have staff to complete the required documents for travel to all parts of the world including Thailand. We're already seeing little shops appear in some towns offering Travel and Visa documents services who I believe will thrive all the time these requirements/hoops are in place which may be forever!!

2 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

The people under this thread/discussion have money and time and are wanting to go back.

Do they?  How do you know?  

Surely unemployment, or reduced salary due to covid, knocked out many from their annual holiday to Thailand.

8 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

Most don't have the luxury of homes or places to stay for long periods in both Thailand and their home country and those that do are a very, very small percentage of ex-pats

How do you know this?  Not all expats have burnt their bridges.

8 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

Obviously a few will be returning ex-pats of that I have no doubt

I have no doubt also.  ????  

10 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

What I think will happen is it will suddenly look busy convincing Thai's and some Farangs to open bars, pay key money and full rent but will be sadly disappointed come end of Jan/Feb when a lot leave to return to work only to be replaced with far less people prepared to jump through hoops.

I already know a few that are not prepared to jump through the hoops.  I suggest they are in the majority, not the minority.

16 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

Is probably never going to happen and that applies to anywhere in the world including the UK.

I disagree.  

Eventually, possibly as new born babies are vaccinated for covid, like they are for other diseases, it will be accepted that basically everyone has been vaccinated, so no need for paperwork.  Of course, that's some years away, but the paperwork will not last forever.   

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Do they?  How do you know?  

Surely unemployment, or reduced salary due to covid, knocked out many from their annual holiday to Thailand.

How do you know this?  Not all expats have burnt their bridges.

I have no doubt also.  ????  

I already know a few that are not prepared to jump through the hoops.  I suggest they are in the majority, not the minority.

I disagree.  

Eventually, possibly as new born babies are vaccinated for covid, like they are for other diseases, it will be accepted that basically everyone has been vaccinated, so no need for paperwork.  Of course, that's some years away, but the paperwork will not last forever.   

I think that's wishful thinking. Thailand love their paperwork and vaccination's/boosters for an ever changing/mutating virus such as Covid will end up as regular as the flu virus and the last thing any country wants is another outbreak. Take yellow fever, I had it as a child in 1959 in what was then Malaya and although immune, I still had to get a certificate of vaccination from the UK before I could visit several places in South America. "Yellow fever vaccine is Required when a foreign government requires proof of vaccination for travellers entering their country. The “requirement” is for the purpose of protecting countries from the risk of importing or spreading yellow fever." 

Maybe I'm wrong and time will tell but after this world wide fiasco of Covid, I cant see any government risking an outbreak of a mutated variant getting into their country and devastating the population and the economy unless everyone has a vaccine to protect them forever and we are a very long way off that currently and that's without those not even willing or able to have the vaccine for whatever reason.. Lets just agree to disagree on this one .....

2 minutes ago, AMFWolfie said:

I think that's wishful thinking. Thailand love their paperwork and vaccination's/boosters for an ever changing/mutating virus such as Covid will end up as regular as the flu virus and the last thing any country wants is another outbreak. Take yellow fever, I had it as a child in 1959 in what was then Malaya and although immune, I still had to get a certificate of vaccination from the UK before I could visit several places in South America. "Yellow fever vaccine is Required when a foreign government requires proof of vaccination for travellers entering their country. The “requirement” is for the purpose of protecting countries from the risk of importing or spreading yellow fever." 

Maybe I'm wrong and time will tell but after this world wide fiasco of Covid, I cant see any government risking an outbreak of a mutated variant getting into their country and devastating the population and the economy unless everyone has a vaccine to protect them forever and we are a very long way off that currently and that's without those not even willing or able to have the vaccine for whatever reason.. Lets just agree to disagree on this one .....

The virus can replicate in fully vaccinated people, albeit, for a shorter period of time.   Thus, travel hoops will be useless in the future for containing any new variants, as it can be evolving in any population, in any country.

As I said, in the future, it will be accepted that everyone is vaccinated, possibly from birth, thus, no hoops.  

Of course, I am not talking about 2022, but some years into the future.   

1 minute ago, Stargeezr said:

My cousin lives in the Pattaya area. When he and his wife go out to the Restaurant/ Pub, they get their drinks

in a glass.  The place got raided once, and the staff quickly came over and brought them both a refill coke

and sprite, and took their half finished drinks away to the kitchen. When the raid was over, the staff brought

them a full glass each, of what they were drinking, and the evening continued on.  The Thai people are not as stupid

as the Thai government, that's for sure.

Geezer

Beer in mug, beer in a tea-cup, beer in a coconut, beer in a paper cup....    Its all theatre and everyone knows the game everyone else is playing.... 

... This though is a game changer  !!  ????

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 01.22.22.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My heart aches for the Pattaya of the late 80s and early 90s it was an exciting magical place a bit rough round the edges but that made it better somehow, if you missed it i feel sorry for you because it will never be like that again, what it will be i dont know but i dont want any part of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boyn said:

My heart aches for the Pattaya of the late 80s and early 90s it was an exciting magical place a bit rough round the edges but that made it better somehow, if you missed it i feel sorry for you because it will never be like that again, what it will be i dont know but i dont want any part of it.

Good times indeed!!

7 hours ago, Boyn said:

On one of my early visits, probably early 80s, I did an overnight bus trip from Bangkok to Phuket and it was drinks most of the way. Wild, carefree, days. 

13 hours ago, Boyn said:

I didn't get to Pattaya till 2004, it was still magical even then, I can imagine that the 80's & 90's were a blast, here I am 17 years later, living in a nice 3 bed, 2 bathroom rented gaff with a lovely lady who loves me to bits and with some fantastic Thai & expat friends, what a great way to live your retirement years, except of course for the dinosaurs in Bangkok who have spoilt everyone's sanook, ????????????