Do you need a work permit for teaching on line for English

jwest10

18 hours ago, puchooay said:

That's quite funny. You make it sound like we are all hiding out to cross the border illegally or something similar.

Truth be told, immigration are not really interested in any farang who is earning a few quid teaching online. Especially when most of the teaching is 4pm to 9pm in the week or mornings and afternoons at the weekend, their time off.

You were in full view, it appears during office hours, earning Thai baht from Thai people. There is no question that is illegal if you don't have a work permit.

You were grassed up as you were doing it in full view. Could have been anyone but likely a lady in the village who was jealous of your wife having a husband that earns good money. That is the first place I would look, someone who holds a grudge.

Had you been in a quite room, doors closed, no one would have known.

I was working from 4pm to 9pm and they came snooping around 7pm to 9pm.  I wasnt in full view either.  I have a work permit now thanks to the kindness of posters on this forum who helped me overcome the myriad of rules and regulations that I had to fulfill to achieve it.  Good luck to those who dont, keep your head down and your mouth shut.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:20 PM, youreavinalaff said:

And which one of those articles refers to online teaching? As far as I can see, none.

The link I looked at showed all of them on overstay or having entered the country illegally. Of course, that would be the reason for deportation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

I was working from 4pm to 9pm and they came snooping around 7pm to 9pm.  I wasnt in full view either.  I have a work permit now thanks to the kindness of posters on this forum who helped me overcome the myriad of rules and regulations that I had to fulfill to achieve it.  Good luck to those who dont, keep your head down and your mouth shut.

You've already mentioned that you had been working under the radar for many years. That you were teaching kids from immigration. Then you say that immigration had been asking the local questions about you. It's clear that you had made no secret as to what you were doing. 

You then say that you set up a company and got a work permit. The funds needed for such suggests that you were earning a lot of money. The phrase "shuttered the business" also does. You were, therefore, in clear view of many people even if your classroom was not. Then again, what were immigration taking photos of if it was not your classroom?

All of this is a lot different to a guy sitting in his own room, on a computer, teaching online.

• Like 2