Obtaining Pr When Not Employed

I'm starting a new thread because this topic may be of interest to others who find themselves in a similar position to me.

An application for PR can be made on several different grounds, usually based on work, but could be based on humanitarian reasons or others.

AFAIK, all the posts from those with PR have been obtained on the basis of them working, with 3 years of tax returns etc.

Are there any TV members who have successfully obtained PR on grounds other than employment? If so, I would love to hear more details.

Simon

I'm starting a new thread because this topic may be of interest to others who find themselves in a similar position to me.

An application for PR can be made on several different grounds, usually based on work, but could be based on humanitarian reasons or others.

AFAIK, all the posts from those with PR have been obtained on the basis of them working, with 3 years of tax returns etc.

Are there any TV members who have successfully obtained PR on grounds other than employment? If so, I would love to hear more details.

Simon

By PR you mean Permanent Residence status? I understand that this can be obtained by marriage toa Thai citizen. Correct or not??

By PR you mean Permanent Residence status? I understand that this can be obtained by marriage toa Thai citizen. Correct or not??

Not correct. The prerequiste is having three consectutive one-year extension stamps. Often these extensions are obtained through marriage but this does not have to be the case.

Edited by ovenman

Show my ignorance, can back to back retirement visas count to PR status?

In theory they might, but you will ruled out because there is an additional requirement to

show that you have been a regular tax payer whilst on the Non Imm O (or) B visa.

See here for all the lowdown.

What about the BOI investor category? I'm not sure if this still exists. But the website here:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/con_info...it/rest_pm.html

seems to indicate that PR is possible for those who invest in Thailand, AND where actual employment/personal tax returns are not required.

So . . if I invest in a business and provide all relevant documents to indicate company tax payments etc etc bla bla bla . . . I would be able to apply for PR via the BOI?

Right or wrong?

Simon

No!! Being a BOI investor and not paying personal tax!! Your BOI company is paying all relevant taxes. You, as the non-working investor, are receiving no salary and therefore paying no personal tax.

It may sound like splitting hairs. But I have no interest in personally 'working' 9-5! I would rather innovate, invest and then let others do the work!

Simon

Show my ignorance, can back to back retirement visas count to PR status?

In theory they might, but you will ruled out because there is an additional requirement to

show that you have been a regular tax payer whilst on the Non Imm O (or) B visa.

See here for all the lowdown.

When I applied - which by-the-way was not successful, the first thing that was looked at was the amount ot taxation paid over the past 3 years. However, this was only one of the items which was considered and "given" ä score - other things looked at were, money invested, marriage, children, language, level of education. There are other things considered although not flagged and not discussed which makes the task very difficult.

No!! Being a BOI investor and not paying personal tax!! Your BOI company is paying all relevant taxes. You, as the non-working investor, are receiving no salary and therefore paying no personal tax.

It may sound like splitting hairs. But I have no interest in personally 'working' 9-5! I would rather innovate, invest and then let others do the work!

Simon

i guess your company's taxes could be allowed as your own taxes. in a way. there will be ways and means. go down to san plu and ask the girls and give us an update.

Simon

i guess your company's taxes could be allowed as your own taxes. in a way. there will be ways and means. go down to san plu and ask the girls and give us an update.

Presumably if the investor was paid a dividend and that dividend was subject to taxation(?) I know there's no capital gains tax here, but would a dividend be classified as personal income as in other countries thereby creating a taxable income stream to meet the PR requirements, whilst the investment made into the business showed the commitment of the individual to Thailand, mitigating what might be viewed as a low taxable income?

Regards

/edit clarification//

Edited by A_Traveller

What about the BOI investor category? I'm not sure if this still exists. But the website here:

seems to indicate that PR is possible for those who invest in Thailand, AND where actual employment/personal tax returns are not required.

So . . if I invest in a business and provide all relevant documents to indicate company tax payments etc etc bla bla bla . . . I would be able to apply for PR via the BOI?

Right or wrong?

Simon

That program ended years ago. If you scroll to bottom of page you will see

Last Update : April 1999

Right or wrong?

Simon

why not simply go to immigration and TALK TO THEM !!! probably quicker than the amount of time spent on tv.

Right or wrong?

Simon

why not simply go to immigration and TALK TO THEM !!! probably quicker than the amount of time spent on tv.

Nope,you are likley to get three different answers if you ask three different peoplr.

My best advice would be to go and see Greg at Sunbelt.They have quite a bit of experience in dealing with the BOI.He might also be able to give you other visa options as well.first consultation is free. :o

I have made some inquires about PR for people that do not have a work permit.  Their only real concern is that you pay tax.  They said for someone that was not married tax should be paid on an income of 70-80 k per month but for some one who is married to a thai and supporting a Thai family 30-40 k was enough to pay tax on.

In this sort of situation it really helps if you have connections as this is what will swing it in your favour.

Badbanker

PS I am going to have to start paying tax this year   :o