ThaiPass - Using Govt SSO Ins To Satisfy Req

For anyone with questions about SSO, please collect a yellow booklet from any SSO branch. It’s free and in good English.

SSO used to issue paper cards in Thai. They were also good for 2 years. If you needed a copy or replacement, the SSO branch would print one out on the spot for free. Now Thais only need to show the hospital their ID card. Aliens are now provided a plastic card in Thai. A replacement card costs B10 and takes 60 days. I had to get one myself. In case you change your address, be sure the address for mailing the card gets updated.

The SSO used to mail you a blue letter verifying receipt of your monthly contribution, but now they send SMS messages.

There are 3 sections. Two are for Voluntarily Insured Person. S33 is for employees, 39 for retirees and 40 for the self-employed. Note that when you leave a company, your 33 terminates. Your coverage does not automatically continue and can’t be extended. You must apply for 39 and be approved. 39 has the same benefits as 33 except unemployment insurance.

The monthly contribution is B432 but the government occasionally lowers it to relieve the burden on people during trying times. There are many payment channels, including 7-Eleven.

To qualify for 39 you only need to pay in to 33 for 12 months.

For ThaiPass, to show proof, you can open an online account on the SSO’s website. When you log in, the first page that comes up is your eligibility status. Another page will show your contribution record.

There are a couple phone apps that will produce a SSO Connect QR code. But you don’t have to download an app. On your browser, open ssoconnect.mywallet.co. Enter your 13-digit SSO number and Thai cellphone number, then click send. On the resulting page, click the orange button at the bottom. Choose Android or iPhone. Click on the left Mywallet button.

If anyone knows how to use the QR code, please post here.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, 10years said:

For anyone with questions about SSO, please collect a yellow booklet from any SSO branch. It’s free and in good English.

SSO used to issue paper cards in Thai. They were also good for 2 years. If you needed a copy or replacement, the SSO branch would print one out on the spot for free. Now Thais only need to show the hospital their ID card. Aliens are now provided a plastic card in Thai. A replacement card costs B10 and takes 60 days. I had to get one myself. In case you change your address, be sure the address for mailing the card gets updated.

The SSO used to mail you a blue letter verifying receipt of your monthly contribution, but now they send SMS messages.

There are 3 sections. Two are for Voluntarily Insured Person. S33 is for employees, 39 for retirees and 40 for the self-employed. Note that when you leave a company, your 33 terminates. Your coverage does not automatically continue and can’t be extended. You must apply for 39 and be approved. 39 has the same benefits as 33 except unemployment insurance.

The monthly contribution is B432 but the government occasionally lowers it to relieve the burden on people during trying times. There are many payment channels, including 7-Eleven.

To qualify for 39 you only need to pay in to 33 for 12 months.

For ThaiPass, to show proof, you can open an online account on the SSO’s website. When you log in, the first page that comes up is your eligibility status. Another page will show your contribution record.

There are a couple phone apps that will produce a SSO Connect QR code. But you don’t have to download an app. On your browser, open ssoconnect.mywallet.co. Enter your 13-digit SSO number and Thai cellphone number, then click send. On the resulting page, click the orange button at the bottom. Choose Android or iPhone. Click on the left Mywallet button.

If anyone knows how to use the QR code, please post here.

Thanks for all of the info!  I got as far as downloading MyWallet and followed the instructions... nothing seemed to happen.   I started on my PC, then went to my Android phone.  I had to flop back a couple of times on my phone to get to the options. By closing the app a couple of times and restarting it, I found Social Security as one option and clicked on it.  It gave me a digital pass with my name, amount that I'll get when I retire (at the top right), the amount that I have to pay (0 Baht), and a QR code. 

All I can figure out is that I now have a digital SS pass. I assume I can show this to someone else to scan to prove that I have coverage... 'tis a head-scratcher as they don't really say what this pass does. 

I've sent a message to my accountant to see if she knows what to do.  

Edited by Galong

23 hours ago, Galong said:

Thanks for all of the info!  I got as far as downloading MyWallet and followed the instructions... nothing seemed to happen.   I started on my PC, then went to my Android phone.  I had to flop back a couple of times on my phone to get to the options. By closing the app a couple of times and restarting it, I found Social Security as one option and clicked on it.  It gave me a digital pass with my name, amount that I'll get when I retire (at the top right), the amount that I have to pay (0 Baht), and a QR code. 

All I can figure out is that I now have a digital SS pass. I assume I can show this to someone else to scan to prove that I have coverage... 'tis a head-scratcher as they don't really say what this pass does. 

I've sent a message to my accountant to see if she knows what to do.  

Please keep us. posted. I also want to know what that QR code is good for and how long it's valid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 10years said:

Please keep us. posted. I also want to know what that QR code is good for and how long it's valid.

Will do.  My wife went ahead and contacted our accountant and they decided to get me a new SS card.  Apparently that's good for only two years, but it's very easy to get.  All they needed was a signed copy of the two main pages on my passport... the photo page and the visa page.  Now, let's see how long it actually takes to arrive. 

Cheers and thanks again for your informative post.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, Galong said:

That would be really nice, but I doubt that's actually the case.  The head chap at SS in Phuket Town told me I could only pick one.  ☹

That is indeed the case I retired two times I took the lump sum both times and now I am on voluntary payments that get deducted from My k bank account monthly of 432 Baht for life. You are entitled to the lump sum as well as the medical coverage should you choose to keep having it deducted from your bank account.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

That is indeed the case I retired two times I took the lump sum both times and now I am on voluntary payments that get deducted from My k bank account monthly of 432 Baht for life. You are entitled to the lump sum as well as the medical coverage should you choose to keep having it deducted from your bank account.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll follow up on this.  The lump sum + medical coverage would be wonderful.   I've paid into the system for almost 30 years.  The lump sum is a substantial amount... at least for me.   Cheers.

12 hours ago, Galong said:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll follow up on this.  The lump sum + medical coverage would be wonderful.   I've paid into the system for almost 30 years.  The lump sum is a substantial amount... at least for me.   Cheers.

If you're told it cannot be done try another social security office. The amount was substantial in my eyes after eight years I collected over 80,000. And when I retired for the second time from the second job 7 years later about 70,000. Nothing to sneeze at that's for sure

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:11 PM, Crossy said:

It's not, but since they have all the contacts and details they're the ideal route forwards.

Can't comment on the teaching aspect, but if you're paying in OK "should" be no issue.

You can also visit one of their offices where there are plenty of English speakers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 3:23 PM, blackcab said:

My staff have visited the Social Fund office and they have ordered a Social Fund card for me.

Apparently the card will be posted to me at my work address in the next 60 days.

Cost 10 baht.

Let's see how long this takes.

@Crossy@Chad3000 My plastic social fund card came today, about 6 weeks after I applied for it. It was addressed to the company that employs me.

The card is valid for 2 years.

If Thailand still has some form of insurance/quarantine requirement the next time I enter I will post if everything goes wrong and this card is refused.

20211222_222542.thumb.jpg.28aa1fac9ae58c434f7c6dbce10e9fad.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, Crossy said:

This is indeed excellent news.

BUT

I've not received a new card for several years as apparently they don't issue them any longer. I've kept the old one although it's getting a bit lot beaten up.

So, without a card how does one prove entitlement?

Certified letter from your employer 

9 hours ago, DrJoy said:

As I understand it, a certified letter states that the company agrees to be completely liable for all quarantine and treatment costs.

If you use the Social Fund card, the government pays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

As I understand it, a certified letter states that the company agrees to be completely liable for all quarantine and treatment costs.

If you use the Social Fund card, the government pays.

Yes Correct

On 12/22/2021 at 5:32 AM, blackcab said:

@Crossy@Chad3000 My plastic social fund card came today, about 6 weeks after I applied for it. It was addressed to the company that employs me.

The card is valid for 2 years.

If Thailand still has some form of insurance/quarantine requirement the next time I enter I will post if everything goes wrong and this card is refused.

20211222_222542.thumb.jpg.28aa1fac9ae58c434f7c6dbce10e9fad.jpg

The old paper cards were also good for only two years. They also had the name of your designated medical facility (hospital).

Do the new plastic cards also list your hospital?

17 minutes ago, 10years said:

Do the new plastic cards also list your hospital?

No. The first line of text is your social security number. The second line is your work permit number. The third is your name.

The reverse of the card has no personalised data on it, other than a signature strip that has to be signed.

SSO Connect e-card

There's no need to download the Mywallet app. Just use the website. It's very simple.

Open the ssoconnect.mywallet.co webpage. There are two boxes to fill in. In the upper box, type your 13-digit social security number. This serves as your national ID number. You don't need to own a house or wife. Note: don't add any hyphens or spaces.

In the lower box, type your phone number. I assume it has to be a Thai number and the number is associated with your SSO account.

Press the blue "send" button.

On the next page that appears, press the orange "accept" button. On the following page, click the button for Android or iPhone.

On the following page, press the left button. This will bring up the last page with the QR code. Scan the QR code, go to the website, download the pass.pkpass file and open the file with any wallet app to get your card.

On 11/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, 10years said:

I used this QR code and a copy of my last paper Social Security card to apply for the Thailand Pass. My Thailand Pass application was approved. Make sure to generate the QR code at the time you submit the Thailand Pass application so the date on the QR code will be current.

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2021 at 10:52 PM, DrJoy said:

And if you're retired and continuing your Injury and Sickness beenefits by doing the self pay voluntary insurance? 

Edited by scorecard