Any stargazing recommendations for CM area?

gamb00ler

I grew up in a rural setting with almost non-existent light pollution, an extremely flat topography and dry, clean air.

On a moonless night the Milky Way was an awesome sight.  I realize it may be impossible to achieve an equivalent view near Chiang Mai.

A reasonable facsimile will suffice.

Any recommendations for a good viewing location?

Google coughed up Doi Chiang Dao... any others?

7 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Doi Chiang Dao is nice.

But you can't climb it without a two day trek.

For convenience drive to doi Angkhang in Amphur Fang.

Perfect for what you are looking for.

Only a couple of my family members could meet that challenge...I'm no longer one of them.

Convenience has assumed a dominant role these days.

Thanks!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Monkol said:

There is Huai Nam Dang National Park on the border to Mae Hong Son province.
The campingground is high up on a plateau, has all the amenities and is right in the middle of nowhere.
Easy access by highway 1095 to Pai.
Coordinates: 19.303126, 98.598955
Don't forget to bring a blanket or two!

Wonderful place famous for heavy fog!

11 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I do my star gazing on Loy Kroh rd  ????

Loy [sic] Kroh rd is pretty dead lately.  And I believe the Chiang Mai Entertainment Complex going back to the Muay Thai ring is shut down. 
   Loi Kroh road used to be a bit of a fun area. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, Hua Nam Dang camping ground is perched high up on a cliff,
in the morning the surrounding forest is often immersed in a lovely blanket of mist/fog.
Nights in the cold season usually are cristal clear.
For those with a pickup truck, a motorcycle or good walking boots:
there starts a long track along the mountain ridge all the way to Wiang Haeng, very scenic.

• Like 1

The first time in my whole life I saw the Milky Way was trekking in the hills near CM on my first SEA trip. I was 47 and out walking in the dark with another trekkee. There was no light pollution, it was pitch black. But the starlight was enough.

It was stunning and awesome. And to top it off a shooting star streaked halfway across the sky and broke up into three bits ... I almost thought I could hear it go 'pop', but obviously I couldn't.

Amazing, recommendable to anyone and I aim to see it again.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

The first time in my whole life I saw the Milky Way was trekking in the hills near CM on my first SEA trip. I was 47 and out walking in the dark with another trekkee. There was no light pollution, it was pitch black. But the starlight was enough.

It was stunning and awesome. And to top it off a shooting star streaked halfway across the sky and broke up into three bits ... I almost thought I could hear it go 'pop', but obviously I couldn't.

Amazing, recommendable to anyone and I aim to see it again.

On a cool clear night aka the last few days I switch off all our outside lights (solar LEDs) and just gaze..Fortunately with our place being at 600 Mts above sea level and on the side of Mae Takrai NP...we have no real local light pollution...Venus is spectacular at the moment..FIO..This Interactive Night Sky Map simulates the sky above Chiang Mai on a date of your choice. You an use it to locate a planet, the Moon, or the Sun and track their movements across the sky. The map also shows the phases of the Moon, and all solar and lunar eclipses...sanuk..  https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/@7284935

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

I realize it may be impossible to achieve an equivalent view near Chiang Mai.

To the south of Chiang Mai is the Doi Inthanon National Park. This is where the Thai National Observatory is located:-

Thais and Telescopes – The Remarkable History of Astronomy in Thailand –  Siam Rat Blog

Yes indeed. The only problem is that it is inside the National Park, which is quite expensive for foreigners. Also not exactly a place where you go for the evening.

An alternative is the headquarters of the same organization (NARIT) in CM, near Don Kaew. They have a good-sized telescope and organize proper stargazing events on a regular basis - depending on COVID. Also on site a nice restaurant and planetarium.

• Thanks 2

'I do my star gazing on Loy Kroh rd'

I've seen the dark backside of the moon there a few times.  ???? And what look strangely like tattoos. A lot of unexplained phenomena in Loy Kroh. Better viewed from afar with a telescope my doctor advises.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, taotoo said:

Thanks for that link.  I knew there was a map available somewhere but hadn't yet searched for it.

I did check the level of light pollution near my childhood home.  It's no longer so great for stargazing because a large 24/7 mining operation was built within a few miles.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arithai12 said:

An alternative is the headquarters of the same organization (NARIT) in CM, near Don Kaew. They have a good-sized telescope and organize proper stargazing events on a regular basis - depending on COVID. Also on site a nice restaurant and planetarium.

Please give directions or GPS coordinates to this place.  Thanks.

19 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Yes indeed. The only problem is that it is inside the National Park, which is quite expensive for foreigners. Also not exactly a place where you go for the evening.

Yes….it’s called “Astro Park”.   Nice installation. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, Catoni said:

Yes….it’s called “Astro Park”.   Nice installation. 

The public openings and outreach events have been open and closed following covid risk, but the jogging path and restaurant have been open the whole time.   Last year, NARIT public outreach team organized some stargazing events "offsite" to organize community stargazing events at various locations around chiang mai with some basic equipment to demonstrate.  The events that I remember included offsite locations to the East (sankhampaeng) and south (chomthong).  I doubt you will see stars near the city as well as way up NorthWest chiang mai like Chiang Dao, Huay Nam Dang, Wiang Heng .. but that is a tradeoff for convenience of transportation.     The best view of the Milky Way I have ever seen in my life was at Mon Jong in December 2018 (Chiang Mai / Tak border area).   It was a half day hike up to camp.  Looking west, there was no light pollution as far as I could see .    Another place where I was able to see the milky way from my car was the road between Fang and Mae Suai (chiang rai) ... also in December.    Top of the mountain ... no lights and good quality road.

Edited by captainjackS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1