A nightmare - testing positive on arrival in Thailand

anchadian

3 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

If you say the guy test positive then how come they’re not quarantining all the people that sit next to Man the airplane TIT

they are isolating only passengers sitting directly next to you, on the very next seat.

If there is a gap between passengers, an empty seat or aisle, no considered a risk.

Also no passengers on from or behind you.

So can be max 2 people, but with empty air planes they are seated sparsely.

There is also a risk in the car taking from airport, as in this case.

That is the first such story, but probably not that more will be coming

The risk of an ‘expensive’ hospitel stay is definitely a concern when travelling at the moment. 

Our AQ hotel were unable to provide an accurate and concise answer when I asked what would happen if we tested positive, the only answer I received was an hesitant ‘go to hospital’.

As I understand it - if already in country and someone develops mild symptoms and tests positive (PCR or ATK) they can self isolate at home - a ‘care’ package (whatever that is - some meds and Antigen Test Kits I imagine) are sent to them. 

However, it seems ‘recent arrivals’ in quarantine are held to a far more strict response. 

I also wondered what would happen if our son tested positive while my Wife and I tested negative - I’m guessing we would all have to remain in Hospital-hotel (hospitel) isolation. 

I doubt any insurance would cover for ‘isolation’ (due to proximity) if I test negative for Covid-19.

It could get very messy - I’m glad we all tested negative when arriving yesterday.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It was only a matter of time. Many of us had predicted such a scenario. Like someone else said, worth the risk if returning to family or work but why anyone would take this risk for a couple of weeks holiday in Thailand while most things are closed is beyond me.

12 hours sitting on a plane in a mask waiting for a stick to be shoved up your nose to see if you're going to be locked up for 2 weeks. I can think of better ways to relax.

I agree, but Thailand made the rules that people who have covid need to quarantine. I am pretty sure that if the rules were not strict those on holiday would not stay in their hotel room if they had covid and waste their 2 weeks. 

The alternative is accepting that people who have covid on arrival to be free and spread it around. That is not going to happen. 

But sure I would hate to be locked up after arriving, there goes the holiday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

.. responsibility, as no one is more entitled than others. Thailand is one of the 1st to spearhead new normal travel. This is leadership that comes w/ responsibility for strict implementation as well as to constantly improve & address inefficiency where it arises. (3/3)"

I suppose one could counter that with, Thailand jumped the gun opening up for tourists, and doing it the Thai way, will cost Thailand as the word spreads.

I for example won't be going on holiday to a certain destination because I would have to home quarantine for 7 days, and as if that is going to happen, Thailand on the other hand says, 1 day quarantine, then as Gomer Pyle would say below.

If you are found to be tested positive or have been within cooee of someone else, it's off to the hospital or quarantine for 14 days, cha ching !

Gomer pyle surprise Memes

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I also wondered what would happen if our son tested positive while my Wife and I tested negative - I’m guessing we would all have to remain in Hospital-hotel (hospitel) isolation. 

Only read one report of similar situation (during quarantine), kid off to hospital, mother accompanied kid, husband's quarantine at the hotel restarted from the day the of the kids positive test (the second test from memory).

• Like 1

Just watching the Thai news......guy is assaulting airport staff and smashing up counters with a big metal stand used to make people queue......anyone seen it?

Looked on the net and can't see anything.

I wonder if he just tested positive?

18 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nightmare indeed even if you test negative but are a close contact:

Story 2: Tested Negative but is a Close Contact

This second story is by James. Shortly before midnight, the hotel texted him to give him his test results: “The covid test you are negative but you can’t leave here because your friend covid test result positive. You quarantine this here 14 day.” The reason they gave him was because they came to the hotel in the same car. This is his story.

Horrendous story's such as this one , will soon circulate on the Social Media platforms for sure. ( unless censored )

All of which will sap the very life out of any Tourism revival Thailand may have had aspirations too.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bradiston said:

He's right. No good crying about it after, but how it's handled raises a some serious questions.. But one of these cases at least merits further investigation. Even if insured, the procedures seem unclear and haphazard. The Thai government should lay down what they are in clear black and white. Forewarned is forearmed.

'The Thai government should lay down what they are in clear black and white.'

More luck herding cats!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Just watching the Thai news......guy is assaulting airport staff and smashing up counters with a big metal stand used to make people queue......anyone seen it?

There is no test at the airport with instant result ????

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Maybe he was caught with only 19,000 baht.

Maybe he turned up with a QR for quarantine because the the TP wasn't working when he tried test and go hoping they'd see sense ????

Edit: Richard stole the fun!

Edited by Salerno
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wife's fault......my interpreter 

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

results are delivered by sms or call when client is in hotel room, many hours after testing (whether in phuket airport or at hotel or hospital in the other parts).

Something else not connected with test result

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I thought everyone needs a COVID insurance before can enter Thailand.Then what is the problem about hospital bills?

Yes the insurance will cover standard hospitalisationif you fall ill but they've made it clear that testing positive upon arrival certainly isnt as regards quarantine

• Confused 1

You have to laugh when someone says no one is better than anyone else, they know fine well if their son or daughter was returning from studying aboard, and tested positive, or merely shared a minibus with someone positive, hell would have to freeze over before they were imprisoned in hospital for 14 days,

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I think because hospital bills for covid treatment are very different to quarantine bills just because you are asymptomatic but are still required to be locked up. Thats why you have to be very diligent on the insurance you take out and make sure it covers this.

...Or be prepared to fake some symptoms. If you cough up then maybe your insurance company will cough up too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, asiam110 said:

You have to laugh when someone says no one is better than anyone else, they know fine well if their son or daughter was returning from studying aboard, and tested positive, or merely shared a minibus with someone positive, hell would have to freeze over before they were imprisoned in hospital for 14 days,

Its basically criminalization of infection. No regular tourist in their right mind would volunteer for that but I guess some at least are not in their right mind.

• Like 2

In the unlikely event, yes your Policy will provide some cover should become hospitalised or forced to quarantine in Thailand. We can’t pre-approve a claim and the insurers won’t meet the costs of private facilities (unless essential on medical grounds) but we offer as much practical advice as we can here:

https://www.truetraveller.com/coronavirus-advice

This link also explains we do cover Cancellation should you test positive before departing from UK.

Got this from my insurance after asking, a bit vague to presume anything, think insurance companies are generally tight lipped over exact scenarios until it happens

Just for information, I have read 1 or 2 first hand reports on Facebook where Emirates inclusive insurance has paid for asymptomatic hospitalisation during ASQ when the person's UK insurance would not. Unfortunately this offer of cover will end for flights booked after 30/11/21.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

He's right. No good crying about it after, but how it's handled raises a some serious questions.. But one of these cases at least merits further investigation. Even if insured, the procedures seem unclear and haphazard. The Thai government should lay down what they are in clear black and white. Forewarned is forearmed.

Should.

Won't.

• Like 1