A nightmare - testing positive on arrival in Thailand

anchadian

Thailand will have little choice but to revert to being an agrarian society. When tourism does finally take off (I'm guessing 2025) it will be an explosion similar to when American GIs went there on R&R in the 60s and 70s. Going to have to wait nearly half a decade, but it will come, and it will happen just like that. 

9 hours ago, 3STTW said:

This is exactly why my Dad cancelled his trip. Even the travel agent advised him that the on-arrival testing was open to abuse, a possible scam, and that he'd have no recourse with the Thai authorities - even if he tested negative.

And here we are, QED.

It's Game Over for international tourism in Thailand for at least half a decade. They can thank their Chinese friends. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have to return to Thailand soon for family and business reasons.  After recovering from Covid and being vaccinated, if the Thai tyrants try to force me into quarantine from a contact or asymptomatic test, I won't pay them a dime....ever.  The days of Thai conmen taking money from me ended during the pandemic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, internationalism said:

I think I have read it before about dad and travel agent, probably it was you.

I would think travel agent tried to sell to your dad some other destination.

Really difficult to fantom, that a professional agent would say such to his client, denigrating tourist industry and tourist destination as such. Very substandard.

The story is opposite - thai authorities will be withholding positive cases, play them down, so more travellers would be coming.

They don't want panic and bad publicity.

Skimming those 0.09% of their insurance money for hospital, quaranteen is not an issue for them. They aim for millions tourists.

Figures for positive tests for test and go are 3.5 lower than for phuket sandbox. 

This was not the case at all, my father was planning a trip to see me and my wife and had no intention of going anywhere else.  My father is in his 80's and needs to be extremely careful when traveling - not least because his travel insurance is so expensive.

He visited family in Europe in August and was especially diligent, he made sure he complied with all the COVID testing requirements, before and after his trip. However, he was fully informed of the consequences of a failed test.

This was not the case with Thailand. The agent could offer no information regarding the outcome of the local tests and, ergo, he was advised not to travel at this time.

The agent is one of the UK's most reputable travel services and they excel in non-package trips for business travelers. They also told him that ABTA had made several attempts to obtain clarification from the Thai authorities about the implication of the on-arrival COVID test results, and there was no clear or decisive response.

The implication was that, if he traveled, once he was in Thailand he was basically on his own and there was no recourse for compensation or mediation.

It appears that other travelers are finding this out in the worst possible way.

• Like 1

rules for entering thailand positive or in close contact are clear. Used to be 14 days hospitalisation, now 10. Sometimes doctor can decide to let go after 7 days if negative. Those in close contact go to controlled quarantine for 10 days, that would be changing within the next few weeks to 3-4 quarantine.

Thailand is more strict that some other countries, like the UK. 

that case of mr kirov is exceptional, because he was told he will be hospitalised for 14 days. That is surprising and probably erroneous.

Allegedly thai hotels have 6k kickback from private hospitals for sending their positive guests on their way

Edited by internationalism

Statistically I would have a very small chance of testing positive.  That said, if I were to test positive upon arrival the insurance that I would have would need to cover all the costs immediately.  I surely don't want to pay first and then fight the insurance company to get reimbursed.  

A few horror stories like this spread on the internet would devastate the Thai tourism industry.  Not saying it is going great right now anyway.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:48 AM, tlcwaterfall said:

Agree with you and we all need to make sure our insurance covers us if we test positive. And that the insurance company pays the hospital direct and none of this customer pays first and gets reimbursed later on rubbish..

Exactly they try to get you to pay up front then they send a claim in to collect again greedy corruption paper work is so screwed up that they won’t  ever trace it

17 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

So you flying to Thailand in the next day one or two people test positive they were on the plane do they then quarantine every passenger that was on the plane if you’re taking to the hotel in the minivan and somebody test positive that was in the van does that mean everybody has to quarantine for 14 days that was in the van including the van driver who then came in contact with all The staff that in the hotel do they all get quarantine I think many people that hear this will be afraid to even come to Thailand and fear of being quarantine for 14 days or worse than that having to spend days in the hospital TIT

Quarantining the whole plane is a  myth that has been spouted over and over again which is simply not true! With the sandbox it was “meters” of the infected person (so probably the row in front and behind them and next to them. Currently, it is just the people to the left and right of them.

With the current Test and Go, you are paying for individual transport so why would you be in a minivan? In the case above, they were friends. If I was going with friends, I would say.. see you all at the hotel!!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Statistically I would have a very small chance of testing positive.  That said, if I were to test positive upon arrival the insurance that I would have would need to cover all the costs immediately.  I surely don't want to pay first and then fight the insurance company to get reimbursed.  

A few horror stories like this spread on the internet would devastate the Thai tourism industry.  Not saying it is going great right now anyway.

You can certainly look for insurance like that. Most pay after though. Paying direct will probably come at a premium.

15 hours ago, robblok said:

Many countries have rules and they are complained about by many in my country. So indeed Thailand is not the only one. People still want to go back to the old times (i bet everyone wants that) however that is just not happening, nowhere. Even in Norway they are bringing back the covid pass.

Personally I am most <deleted> off about the insurance thing, as it does not take into account those who have yearly insurance for health. Its quite normal to pay per year and strange if one has to change his or her insurance validity each time one travels. They should either look in the past and see that someone has been holding an insurance already and is diligently paying in it as not to harm those who did have an insurance in Thailand. This is just for those who have always refused to get insurance.

Im sad about this as it has been in the news so much people getting away from hospitals not paying and go fund me to get money. These people are the reasons for the new rules. That is why i was always so negative with my comments on these topics as I could see that it would cause trouble in the future for us who do follow the rules. 

Its always like this some people abuse the system and then those that follow the rules have to bleed for this. Strangely a lot of people seemed to sympathize with these people and were proud of not having insurance. Sad that it has to come this far.

DENMARK, not Norway.

16 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm sorry but this guy is a clown. His only qualification seems to be a general fluency in English. After a few of his early English-language briefings. most of which were a steady diet of word-salad, I relegated him to that overflowing bin of useless thai officials.

This nugget is revealing...

responsibility, as no one is more entitled than others.

He does realize that entitlement is the basis of the thai social contract?

Risk and sacrifice?

Sheesh, what is this? A zip-line in Chiang Mai?

Really. I mean tourists are asked to sacrifice for Thailand? For the privelge of going on vacation here?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nabby said:

Thailand will have little choice but to revert to being an agrarian society. When tourism does finally take off (I'm guessing 2025) it will be an explosion similar to when American GIs went there on R&R in the 60s and 70s. Going to have to wait nearly half a decade, but it will come, and it will happen just like that. 

????????????????????????????

Are you not aware of those huge buildings all over the place where they make things like cars? None of them depend on tourism.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

????????????????????????????

Are you not aware of those huge buildings all over the place where they make things like cars? None of them depend on tourism.

OK, agrarian and factory drudgery. Whipty do!

• Confused 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, robblok said:

Many countries have rules and they are complained about by many in my country. So indeed Thailand is not the only one. People still want to go back to the old times (i bet everyone wants that) however that is just not happening, nowhere. Even in Norway they are bringing back the covid pass.

Personally I am most <deleted> off about the insurance thing, as it does not take into account those who have yearly insurance for health. Its quite normal to pay per year and strange if one has to change his or her insurance validity each time one travels. They should either look in the past and see that someone has been holding an insurance already and is diligently paying in it as not to harm those who did have an insurance in Thailand. This is just for those who have always refused to get insurance.

Im sad about this as it has been in the news so much people getting away from hospitals not paying and go fund me to get money. These people are the reasons for the new rules. That is why i was always so negative with my comments on these topics as I could see that it would cause trouble in the future for us who do follow the rules. 

Its always like this some people abuse the system and then those that follow the rules have to bleed for this. Strangely a lot of people seemed to sympathize with these people and were proud of not having insurance. Sad that it has to come this far.

The entire business of an insurance company is to collect premiums and not pay out. Their exorbitant profits demonstrate how effective they are!

5 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

The entire business of an insurance company is to collect premiums and not pay out. Their exorbitant profits demonstrate how effective they are!

Right an other crazy guy. Of course they don't pay out if things are not included in their insurance as long as you stick to the rules you wont have any problems. This bar stool talk of ignorant people is boring.

All you have to do is read your policy and if your not sure about something ask them. If it says in your policy that its not included its not.

How insurance companies make money is different from what you think. What they do is take a big group of people insure them calculate what they think they have to pay out and then put a x amount on top and that is your premium. This way they make money. Its not done by denying claim its done by making a good estimate of their cost and applying a healthy percentage on top.

And yes things that are not included will not be paid out but you can read what is excluded. Stuff like riding a motorcycle when you have no license for instance. Stuff like that. Pre existing stuff is often also excluded (but you can only insure something that might happen not something that is pre existing and bound to happen)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Right an other crazy guy. Of course they don't pay out if things are not included in their insurance as long as you stick to the rules you wont have any problems. This bar stool talk of ignorant people is boring.

All you have to do is read your policy and if your not sure about something ask them. If it says in your policy that its not included its not.

How insurance companies make money is different from what you think. What they do is take a big group of people insure them calculate what they think they have to pay out and then put a x amount on top and that is your premium. This way they make money. Its not done by denying claim its done by making a good estimate of their cost and applying a healthy percentage on top.

And yes things that are not included will not be paid out but you can read what is excluded. Stuff like riding a motorcycle when you have no license for instance. Stuff like that. Pre existing stuff is often also excluded (but you can only insure something that might happen not something that is pre existing and bound to happen)

this is off topic.

but out your premium some:

38% fraudulent claims (my travel agent told me)

10% an agent

10% promotion, advertising

10% on taxes

10% on running offices, wages

10% company profits

what if 88% is just wasted and not given to support health and life?

Edited by internationalism

On 11/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, mrmicbkktxl said:

I thought everyone needs a COVID insurance before can enter Thailand.Then what is the problem about hospital bills?

Insurance covers emergency treatment, not quarantine hotel stays which are convenient for the local government in the arrival country.

If they keep this up the country is doomed when it comes to tourism - I kind of hope they do keep it up for another year or two.

It's time for them to reap the whirlwind.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:29 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

The problem is, what's being "spread on the internet" doesn't (yet!) tell the whole story  https://simpleflying.com/emirates-a380-bangkok-return/

Quote under "Thailand Entry requirements":

• Anyone wishing to visit Thailand must apply for a “Thailand Pass” before their journey
  • Proof of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure
  • Proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an approved vaccine which includes, CoronaVac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer–BioNTech, Janssen, Moderna, Sinopharm, and Sputnik V
  • People arriving in Thailand will have to take a PCR test at the airport and then a self-testing Antigen Rapid Test on day six or seven after their arrival
  • Proof of medical insurance up to $50,000 that covers COVID-19 treatment

True....but not exactly the whole truth! 

I would advice anyone traveling to Thailand, to self-isolate for at least 7 full days before the date of your travel and only go for walks in the park and to get your test. The day before your flight and the day of your flight you could probably relax a bit because if you got covid on either of those days, it probably is not going to show up when you are tested in Thailand.

I would also advise you to take plenty of lateral flow tests so you can test yourself should they say you came back positive. If you had self-isolated for those 7 days, you would have quite a strong argument to claim that any positive was false and you want another PCR test done by another hospital.

Please remember you have rights and no one is going to the Bangkok Hilton for expressing your rights in a calm and dignified manner.

Chok dee ????

Disclaimer: I understand for most people this is not possible due to jobs and such (Unable to plan past your nose). I apologise for any hurt or inconvenience my outlandish and hurtful advice as done to you.

Edited by bangkokbonecollector
  • Haha 1

How does that protect you, when the person next to you on the flight or taxi ride to hotel tests positive, and you are whisked away for your overpriced, 2 week, unnecessary private hospital stay ?

That your insurance may, or may not cover the expense of.

19 hours ago, bangkokbonecollector said:

I would advice anyone traveling to Thailand, to self-isolate for at least 7 full days before the date of your travel and only go for walks in the park and to get your test. The day before your flight and the day of your flight you could probably relax a bit because if you got covid on either of those days, it probably is not going to show up when you are tested in Thailand.

I would also advise you to take plenty of lateral flow tests so you can test yourself should they say you came back positive. If you had self-isolated for those 7 days, you would have quite a strong argument to claim that any positive was false and you want another PCR test done by another hospital.

Please remember you have rights and no one is going to the Bangkok Hilton for expressing your rights in a calm and dignified manner.

Chok dee ????

Disclaimer: I understand for most people this is not possible due to jobs and such (Unable to plan past your nose). I apologise for any hurt or inconvenience my outlandish and hurtful advice as done to you.

Good advice but not going to help much if the persons beside you have not been so dilligent and tests positive and your locked up for close contact monitoring 

On 11/14/2021 at 10:38 PM, bangkokbonecollector said:

Chok dee ????

This is good advice.

We avoided a big bonfire night a couple of nights before we travelled back as we had no desire to inadvertently contract Covid-19.

We took lateral flow tests (Antigen test) before we took our pre-flight PCR test (just to be sure). 

We also took lateral flow tests upon arrival shortly after we took our PCR arrival test. 

It may also with considering leaving AQ hotel as soon as the PCR result is available to gain the upper hand in he event of a negative-proximity case (testing negative but being accused of being within proximity of another traveller).

Other than the issue with the two guys travelling together and taking the same transport to the hotel, I am not aware (through the media or any other source) of any negative-proximity cases being an issue - i.e. where a stranger sat next each other on a flight one of them tested PCR positive upon arrival the other was ’tracked and traced’ and was forced into quarantine. 

Since 1st Nov, there have been 56 positive PCR cases from over 40,000 arrivals (I think I have remembered that correctly) - they sat next to someone on the flight, there have been no reports of a negative-proximity cases being quarantined (other than the van guy mentioned above) so I wouldn’t be worried about it.