A nightmare - testing positive on arrival in Thailand

anchadian

39 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

This will be the first of many reports yet to come.  Only 10 or so testing positive thus far is surprisingly low and probably so because the statistical probability of randomly testing positive has been skewed by the pre-departure negative test requirements.

As arrivals increase (that is, if they do increase) the laws of statistical probability means that a greater percentage will test positive on arrival.

My prediction - if they get to anything like 200,000 arrivals per month they will see circa 2% (4,000) testing positive, and that will be a world of hurt for a lot of people. The horror stories enforced  expensive hospital quarantine will get out into wider circulation and the arrival numbers will drop like the proverbial brick.

It will be about then they will do one of two things.  Close the border again or more likely, throw their arms in the air and stop the ridiculous charade.

no, the percentage will be similar to what's now.

If they do remove need for pre-departure test (planned for the beginning of the next year) than this figure will rise.

For phuket sandbox it was 0.33%, early Test&Go 0.12% but falling now for 0.09%.

There must be some change in pandemic situation abroad, large winter out brakes, new mutations resistant to old jabs, which might cause such big rise as you suggest. Passengers slipping through the first test, also getting in contact at airports, on airplanes.

Those 200k monthly would be well into the next year. So far they are expecting only some 60k to January

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, anchadian said:

Today’s special newsletter is about the nightmare that falls upon you if you test positive on arrival in Thailand. This is what happened to Kirovs, a tourist who came to Thailand with his family. He is now in hospital and his family are in hotel quarantine. The second story is from James who is considered a close contact as he was in the same car from the airport as someone who tested positive. Neither of the people who tested positive have any symptoms and they are now desperately trying to find out if their insurance will cover the large hospital bill

Som nam na... come to Thailand and take your chances.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I thought everyone needs a COVID insurance before can enter Thailand.Then what is the problem about hospital bills?

That is indeed a really good point, only those with fake policies would be in trouble. Anyway I fully support the insurance drive, however it should be more flexible for those that have policies already that might not align with their time of stay. This just shows how important it is to have insurance.

But yea big question is will it be reimbursed. I would say so as its goverment rule.

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thailand is not the only country with rules, in the Netherlands they are now complaining about the rule change in Austria that makes it hard for people to go. Because of covid. 

Travel is not the same, accept or don't travel its that simple. I would not go if it was not needed. People acting like Thailand is the only country with covid rules is crazy. 

Absolutely agree Rob..... 

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read complaint about the strict entry requirements and process and then go on to state that ‘no other country...... blah blah’.....

Meanwhile, many of my friends and friends of my Wife are going through difficulties meeting requirements and jumping through hoops trying to get into other countries. 

In the absence of knowledge of the entry requirements some complainers feeling hard done by believe Thailand is deliberately being difficult to foreigners - unfortunately, flawed thinking such as this is a common trait among many own this forum who lack the critical thought.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree Rob..... 

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read complaint about the strict entry requirements and process and then go on to state that ‘no other country...... blah blah’.....

Meanwhile, many of my friends and friends of my Wife are going through difficulties meeting requirements and jumping through hoops trying to get into other countries. 

In the absence of knowledge of the entry requirements some complainers feeling hard done by believe Thailand is deliberately being difficult to foreigners - unfortunately, flawed thinking such as this is a common trait among many own this forum who lack the critical thought.

Many countries have rules and they are complained about by many in my country. So indeed Thailand is not the only one. People still want to go back to the old times (i bet everyone wants that) however that is just not happening, nowhere. Even in Norway they are bringing back the covid pass.

Personally I am most <deleted> off about the insurance thing, as it does not take into account those who have yearly insurance for health. Its quite normal to pay per year and strange if one has to change his or her insurance validity each time one travels. They should either look in the past and see that someone has been holding an insurance already and is diligently paying in it as not to harm those who did have an insurance in Thailand. This is just for those who have always refused to get insurance.

Im sad about this as it has been in the news so much people getting away from hospitals not paying and go fund me to get money. These people are the reasons for the new rules. That is why i was always so negative with my comments on these topics as I could see that it would cause trouble in the future for us who do follow the rules. 

Its always like this some people abuse the system and then those that follow the rules have to bleed for this. Strangely a lot of people seemed to sympathize with these people and were proud of not having insurance. Sad that it has to come this far.

• Like 2