A nightmare - testing positive on arrival in Thailand

anchadian

19 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

This will be the first of many reports yet to come.  Only 10 or so testing positive thus far is surprisingly low and probably so because the statistical probability of randomly testing positive has been skewed by the pre-departure negative test requirements.

As arrivals increase (that is, if they do increase) the laws of statistical probability means that a greater percentage will test positive on arrival.

My prediction - if they get to anything like 200,000 arrivals per month they will see circa 2% (4,000) testing positive, and that will be a world of hurt for a lot of people. The horror stories enforced  expensive hospital quarantine will get out into wider circulation and the arrival numbers will drop like the proverbial brick.

It will be about then they will do one of two things.  Close the border again or more likely, throw their arms in the air and stop the ridiculous charade.

The current percent is 0% (.00090909) yet you predict it will sky rocket to 2%?

That is higher than the entire positives in the world.

Unsure where you get your math from.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai
  • Like 2

Just now, Sticky Rice Balls said:

That would be me--I arrive on Loy Kratong/19th at Swampy --hoping for a welcome "soapy" to make this dirty falang a freshy shiny quality tourist!!!   

Been here......on and off for 30 years......and still not sure what a soapy is!

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Yes the insurance will cover standard hospitalisationif you fall ill but they've made it clear that testing positive upon arrival certainly isnt as regards quarantine

Which is why due diligence is required - get a policy that does cover it.

30 minutes ago, asiam110 said:

Got this from my insurance after asking, a bit vague to presume anything, think insurance companies are generally tight lipped over exact scenarios until it happens

Weasel words to try to keep you as a customer. If happy with their general cover I'd be looking at grabbing an extra cheap policy that covers it. They're available such as flying with Emirates (free insurance - buy ticket before end of the month), AXA or Tune.

1 hour ago, 3STTW said:

This is exactly why my Dad cancelled his trip. Even the travel agent advised him that the on-arrival testing was open to abuse, a possible scam, and that he'd have no recourse with the Thai authorities - even if he tested negative.

And here we are, QED.

I think I have read it before about dad and travel agent, probably it was you.

I would think travel agent tried to sell to your dad some other destination.

Really difficult to fantom, that a professional agent would say such to his client, denigrating tourist industry and tourist destination as such. Very substandard.

The story is opposite - thai authorities will be withholding positive cases, play them down, so more travellers would be coming.

They don't want panic and bad publicity.

Skimming those 0.09% of their insurance money for hospital, quaranteen is not an issue for them. They aim for millions tourists.

Figures for positive tests for test and go are 3.5 lower than for phuket sandbox. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand's MFA spokesman batting this directly back to Richard B and Pakhead in a tweet, the message, its a sacrifice you must make.

"I think risks that come with travel

but rather of sacrifice and..

https://twitter.com/NatapanuN/status/1458231975957856257

I'm sorry but this guy is a clown. His only qualification seems to be a general fluency in English. After a few of his early English-language briefings. most of which were a steady diet of word-salad, I relegated him to that overflowing bin of useless thai officials.

This nugget is revealing...

responsibility, as no one is more entitled than others.

He does realize that entitlement is the basis of the thai social contract?

Risk and sacrifice?

Sheesh, what is this? A zip-line in Chiang Mai?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Which is why due diligence is required - get a policy that does cover it.

Weasel words to try to keep you as a customer. If happy with their general cover I'd be looking at grabbing an extra cheap policy that covers it. They're available such as flying with Emirates (free insurance - buy ticket before end of the month), AXA or Tune.

I might follow up, but generally TT are pretty good based on claim stories of others but this is reflected in policy price too, I expect they are saying if their is an alternative they wont pay for private facilities like a 5star hotel (although Im pretty sure Im covered for private room in accident, maybe they read something else into it), people keep mentioning Emirates - did we ever get a confirmed story of payout - I know the first girl that was thrown into quarantine was "hoping" it would pay out but afaik barrow didnt follow up (not like it's his duty etc..)

1 hour ago, 3STTW said:

This is exactly why my Dad cancelled his trip. Even the travel agent advised him that the on-arrival testing was open to abuse, a possible scam, and that he'd have no recourse with the Thai authorities - even if he tested negative.

And here we are, QED.

Wise move. I  hoping there is some common sense before I plan to fly regarding hospitalizations of asymptomatic positive cases, and quarantine after exposure to asymptomatic positive people, although the commodity is in short supply in Thailand. Cancellations might help promote the agenda. I think it's weeks away though, so whilst I might benefit, those flying November and early December are unlikely.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, asiam110 said:

people keep mentioning Emirates - did we ever get a confirmed story of payout

Have a look through various FB groups, there has been reports of payouts (one I remember paid out when the persons "real insurance" wouldn't).

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

Yes the insurance will cover standard hospitalisationif you fall ill but they've made it clear that testing positive upon arrival certainly isnt as regards quarantine

Well which insurance is covering everything covid related?I guess none.Under these circumstances I would not travel to Thailand

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Agree with you and we all need to make sure our insurance covers us if we test positive. And that the insurance company pays the hospital direct and none of this customer pays first and gets reimbursed later on rubbish..

and pigs might fly.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I thought everyone needs a COVID insurance before can enter Thailand.Then what is the problem about hospital bills?

In some cases the insurance does not kick in for two weeks, although I'm told it is in the minority.

What I want to know is did these people who tested positive have any problem with their insurance? Did the insurance companies expect payment up front? 

9 hours ago, Salerno said:

Some people don't do their due diligence and find their insurance won't pay out - it's on them, but of course some would rather spout BS and blame everyone but the real culprit.

Everybody does not have law degrees to understand all the legal jargon BS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

That is indeed a really good point, only those with fake policies would be in trouble. Anyway I fully support the insurance drive, however it should be more flexible for those that have policies already that might not align with their time of stay. This just shows how important it is to have insurance.

But yea big question is will it be reimbursed. I would say so as its goverment rule.

Government rule Rob, from a bunch of tinpot soldiers who don't even know who the deputy PM is. You know it's Anutin, I know it's Anutin, but according to some reports, it's a guy with about 20 letters in his name. ????

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Many countries have rules and they are complained about by many in my country. So indeed Thailand is not the only one. People still want to go back to the old times (i bet everyone wants that) however that is just not happening, nowhere. Even in Norway they are bringing back the covid pass.

Personally I am most <deleted> off about the insurance thing, as it does not take into account those who have yearly insurance for health. Its quite normal to pay per year and strange if one has to change his or her insurance validity each time one travels. They should either look in the past and see that someone has been holding an insurance already and is diligently paying in it as not to harm those who did have an insurance in Thailand. This is just for those who have always refused to get insurance.

Im sad about this as it has been in the news so much people getting away from hospitals not paying and go fund me to get money. These people are the reasons for the new rules. That is why i was always so negative with my comments on these topics as I could see that it would cause trouble in the future for us who do follow the rules. 

Its always like this some people abuse the system and then those that follow the rules have to bleed for this. Strangely a lot of people seemed to sympathize with these people and were proud of not having insurance. Sad that it has to come this far.

What  is the easiest Rob to get into the Netherlands or to get into Thailand, say for tourists?

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought all bars were still closed ??

..... in which bar do you hear that golden-droplets of barstool tosh ?

Your rumour is of course utter poppycock, unsubstantiated made up rubbish.....

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I thought all bars were still closed ??

..... in which bar do you hear that golden-droplets of barstool tosh ?

Your rumour is of course utter poppycock, unsubstantiated made up rubbish.....

I can't say one way or the other, but this being Thailand, well......

5 hours ago, SunsetT said:

...Or be prepared to fake some symptoms. If you cough up then maybe your insurance company will cough up too.

Then the insurance company don't pay out because of an existing issue, you had your tonsils out when you were a kid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand's MFA spokesman batting this directly back to Richard B and Pakhead in a tweet, the message, its a sacrifice you must make.

"I think risks that come with travel during these days are there where ever one goes around the world. But we all have to do our part. If I were found positive when arriving abroad, esp if I don't speak local language... (1/3)

....I'm sure I would hv a less than pleasant experience, vacation expectations altered (hypothetically). But after it all, I'd realize that understanding risks is the lesson of the day. Being + upon arrival in Thailand is not a sad humiliating story but rather of sacrifice and.. (2/3)

.. responsibility, as no one is more entitled than others. Thailand is one of the 1st to spearhead new normal travel. This is leadership that comes w/ responsibility for strict implementation as well as to constantly improve & address inefficiency where it arises. (3/3)"

https://twitter.com/NatapanuN/status/1458231975957856257

expectations "altered"    Not the word i would use !