Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed For - Experiences?

Terry Scoble

I am waiting for my new bank card and credit card which were initially sent to my brother's address in the UK for him to forward to me in Thailand. They were packaged in a jiffy bag and sent via Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed For. The tracking shows that it was leaving the UK in the early hours of 3rd November and this same information appears on the Thailand Post tracking site. However, there has been no update since of it even arriving in Thailand and it is now a week since apparently leaving the UK. This is the first time that I have used this service and I am concerned. Is this delay in tracking normal or are my concerns justified? Do other forum members have recent experience of using this  service. Many thanks in advance.

My daughter sends me parcels ,letters quite regularly and I never have

a problem, BUT i see you were sent credit cards ....there can be a problem

with that, I was sent something that was about the size and thickness of a credit

card, the envelope had been slit open , and seeing what was inside was not

what they were looking for it ha been taped up again......so it' a worry.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

My daughter sends me parcels ,letters quite regularly and I never have

a problem, BUT i see you were sent credit cards ....there can be a problem

with that, I was sent something that was about the size and thickness of a credit

card, the envelope had been slit open , and seeing what was inside was not

what they were looking for it ha been taped up again......so it' a worry.

regards Worgeordie

International logistics are currently a mess.  The delay you're experiencing is the new normal. I'd say don't start panicking too much until 14 days have passed.

However I would have suggested that something as critical as bank cards might have warranted DHL/Fedex or similar to ensure a better chance of eventual receipt.

While you might consider Her Majesty's Royal Mail to be an impeccable service provider, the same can probably not be said of the Thailand equivalent.

A good idea when sending cards via mail or courier is to scratch off the 3-digit code number.  Not 100% foolproof but it does limit the potential for fraud if it gets nicked while in transit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

International logistics are currently a mess.  The delay you're experiencing is the new normal. I'd say don't start panicking too much until 14 days have passed.

However I would have suggested that something as critical as bank cards might have warranted DHL/Fedex or similar to ensure a better chance of eventual receipt.

While you might consider Her Majesty's Royal Mail to be an impeccable service provider, the same can probably not be said of the Thailand equivalent.

A good idea when sending cards via mail or courier is to scratch off the 3-digit code number.  Not 100% foolproof but it does limit the potential for fraud if it gets nicked while in transit.

Thanks for that. I was just about to have sent out varies cards and a SIM card. I can manage without the cards. So will just have the SIM card sent.

A week is nothing to worry about, just give it some time.

That the tracking says it left the UK is also not necessarily true, this just means it has finished processing in the UK, and is ready to be loaded into an airplane, might just lie around in a container at the airport.

Similar to when you pass immigration at the airport and sit at the gate, then technically you are not in that country anymore, but practically you still are.

9 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

The best idea is to send only cards which aren't activated yet, then a thief can't do anything with them. Activate them when you receive them in Thailand. Close the envelope in such a way that you would see if somebody would have opened/closed it.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1

I have had cards sent by Royal Mail International signed and tracked. No problem, good service. You don't need DHL/Fedex, etc. Normally takes about a week.

Make sure you put a Thai phone number under the address label so the postman can call you if he has a problem.

Put some cardboard in the envelope so no one can feel the cards.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I have had cards sent by Royal Mail International signed and tracked. No problem, good service. You don't need DHL/Fedex, etc. Normally takes about a week.

Make sure you put a Thai phone number under the address label so the postman can call you if he has a problem.

Put some cardboard in the envelope so no one can feel the cards.

The 2 cards were put in a jiffy bag with cardboard both sides as well to disguise the contents! I was just concerned that after a week the tracking still says that the package is leaving the UK and has not changed in 7 days.

3 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Just received a couple of birthday cards from UK, took just under 2 weeks to get here, there was money in both, no problems..

Yes, but did you put a PAR AVION stamp on it?? If you don't it goes by boat.   ????????

Edited by Chris.B

12 minutes ago, Terry Scoble said:

The 2 cards were put in a jiffy bag with cardboard both sides as well to disguise the contents! I was just concerned that after a week the tracking still says that the package is leaving the UK and has not changed in 7 days.

Then the delay is at HWDC Langley. What do expect? Their staff are probably all off sick. ????

Edited by Chris.B
  • Haha 1