Report from CW - My 1Y Extension based on Marriage has not yet been accepted :(

Yesterday I went to Chaeng Watthana to get the extension done and my application has not yet been accepted due to several documents missing ????

These are the document I brought with me: 

• TM7 application with photo glued on
  • Passport
  • Copies of passport and all visa pages
  • Updated Kor Ror 2 (signed by both in the middle)
  • Copy of marriage certificate (signed by both in the middle)
  • Copy of spouse’s house registration (tabien baan)
  • Spouse's ID card + signed copy
  • TM6 departure card + copy
  • Photos (no selfies): Inside condo, outside of condo with house number visible
  • Map to residence from the nearest main road or street
  • Rental contract for condo
  • Copy of ID card of landlord
  • Copy of house deed from landlor
  • Original bank book, showing 400'000 THB deposited 2 months ago
  • Letter from the bank obtained on the same day (i assume it just confirmed that I had 400k in the bank) 

The following documents were seemingly not needed (at least the IO didn't take them):

• Wise receipt showing transfer to Deemoney (intermediary bank)
  • Receipt from Deemoney showing that they received money from abroad and transferred it to my Bangkok Bank account
  • Statement showing money going from European account to Wise

This is the interesting part: These documents were missing according to the IO and I have to go again next week to CW:

• Original marriage certificate (the copies were taken by the IO but she also asked for the original) 
  • TM30 Report
  • "Statement from the bank" 

I was surprised by the request for the original marriage certificate. I don't remember seeing that being asked in any report. 

I also have a few questions, I hope you can help me with:

1. The landlord has sent me a screenshot from the TM30 app. Is that going to be enough to satisfy the IO? 

2. The IO refused to talk English to me and instead conversed in Thai with my wife. She, the IO was rather vague with what she meant by "Statement from the bank" but if I understand correctly it needs to be statement saying that I have received 400k on my bank account 2 months ago. When I went to CW, I went to the Bangkok Bank branch first asking for a bank book update and a letter confirming that I have the money in the bank. Foolishly I didn't ask my wife to check the letter and I just assumed it was the correct one. What needs to be in that letter specifically? What would I need to ask the bank?  

3. I have my next appointment at CW at 8:30 in the morning. I won't have time to go to the Bangkok Bank downstairs because it also opens at 8:30. Is it okay if I go to a local branch the day prior? I've read some mixed reports on that potentially being an issue.

Cheers

Your nightmare imo is all about you not having a paltry 400k in the bank.

Probably IO was giving you a hard time for no other reason. If I were you I'd see to it next year you put the money in the bank.

It's tedious enough when retirees do it with 800k but 400k??

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Your nightmare imo is all about you not having a paltry 400k in the bank.

Probably IO was giving you a hard time for no other reason. If I were you I'd see to it next year you put the money in the bank.

It's tedious enough when retirees do it with 800k but 400k??

But I did have 400k . I just didn't have the right letter from the bank and I'm trying to figure out which one is the right one. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

The statement is standard

Original marriage certificate is also standard

TM 30 - you should have it

I did have a statement from the bank but apparently it was the wrong one. I made the mistake of assuming they would know which one to give when I went to the Bangkok Bank at CW. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Katsura said:

. I made the mistake of assuming they would know which one to give when I went to the Bangkok Bank at CW.

The bank would have know. They do them all day being located at CW.

Here is mine from last week.

Screenshot_20211110-194847.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Frustrating that the bank did not give you the correct letter as they do it quite often...

My letters have been in English so they were easy to check - they simply say what your balance is and it is a good idea to make a small deposit the same day. Then ask for bank statement for the last six months and you should be good to go.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Maybe the statement / letter they printed was old. Some noob clerk or like a Thai not watching what she's doing.

As I recallhow the letter is worded in very important.

Don't understand the tone or attitude. 

I have found over years the clerks in banks very helpful..

The letter is not even worded. See my post above with example of "letter".

CW does these daily (often) so I'm not even sure what the OP if referring to.

Another example of required bank letter attached.

Screenshot_20211110-212820.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I missed that. Why the payments? Money was in three months prior?

I have 400k in my bank account for 2 months. Does it have to be 3 months?

22 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Frustrating that the bank did not give you the correct letter as they do it quite often...

My letters have been in English so they were easy to check - they simply say what your balance is and it is a good idea to make a small deposit the same day. Then ask for bank statement for the last six months and you should be good to go.

Thank you for the advice.  

4 minutes ago, Katsura said:

I have 400k in my bank account for 2 months. Does it have to be 3 months?

Money has to be in bank 2 months prior to day of application for extension.

After application best policy is to leave it in the account untill final stamp is given. When under consideration period ends.

After that you can use it as you wish and for the following extension repeat process.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the helpful answers

Quick question regarding the TM30:

My landlord sent me a screenshot of the app and she didn't include the number of my TM6. Is that going to be an issue? Also is a printed out screenshot going to be accepted?

Buggered if I know why they make the marriage extension more onerous than the retirement extension, that's why I switched from Marriage to retirement visa after I turned 50.

On another note, I went for my extension 2 weeks ago at CW and the IO told my wife that I didn't have enough money in the bank, as the bank book she was looking at only had 1,3M in it ( you need 1.6M for a joint account for whatever rediculous reason, even though my partner is Thai and not a foreigner). My wife pointed out that there was 15M in the other bank book on the table in front of her (deposited a few years ago) and it was shown in the statement in front of her and the IO stated that she was only using one bank book for the application and that she had already started processing the first one, so in future we shouldn't confuse her by producing 2 bank accounts. She finally processed the second bank book but she was pretty snarky about it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

She finally processed the second bank book but she was pretty snarky about it.

Still better, if your applying for extension based on retirement use accounts in your name only. (Or 1.6million as io pointed out. BTW I thought 1.6 in joint account not allowed for extension retirement. Seems io was happy with it) 

You can use more than one account (see my bank letter posted earlier). I use 2 accounts and using same bank only one letter is required showing both accounts. 

My io at CW was not 'snarky' about it (on Nov 2); as my paperwork was done correctly.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

• Original marriage certificate (the copies were taken by the IO but she also asked for the original) 
  • TM30 Report
  • "Statement from the bank

Original marriage certificate immig always want to see it, been mentioned many times on these forums.

TM30 has always been required by immigration.

Statement from bank. This is the bank statement and can be obtained from the bank, just ask them to print a copy of statement showing deposits, withdrawals and balance.  I usually provide photocopies of all pages in the bank book and sign them and then immig ask to see the original bank book to confirm.

Additional advice, keep the 400000 baht in the bank during the under consideration period. When collecting the approval stamp 30 days later update the bank book balance showing 400000 baht, make a photocopy of it which immig will keep and they want to see the original bank book again.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

I have been here for more than thirty years.  Most of those years I worked and paid taxes.  When working, my employer handled the paperwork.  When I retired, I switched to a spousal visa and did all of the paperwork myself.  Every year there was always some new requirement.  As a result, the paperwork packet just kept growing larger and larger.  I few years ago I just got fed up with dealing with it so turned everything over to a Thai friend who is also an agent.  Now I only go to immigration once a year for about ten to twenty minutes.  My friend, the agent, charges me less than 10,000 baht per year - well worth the cost to avoid the hassles.  I do speak Thai quite well and my wife never has had to speak for me.  I have always done all the talking, and still do whenever we deal with banks or the government.  I have more than the required amount of money in the bank as well.  I just got fed up with having to jump through more and more hoops.  I am now very happy to pay someone else to take care of things for me.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I have been here for more than thirty years.  Most of those years I worked and paid taxes.  When working, my employer handled the paperwork.  When I retired, I switched to a spousal visa and did all of the paperwork myself.  Every year there was always some new requirement.  As a result, the paperwork packet just kept growing larger and larger.  I few years ago I just got fed up with dealing with it so turned everything over to a Thai friend who is also an agent.  Now I only go to immigration once a year for about ten to twenty minutes.  My friend, the agent, charges me less than 10,000 baht per year - well worth the cost to avoid the hassles.  I do speak Thai quite well and my wife never has had to speak for me.  I have always done all the talking, and still do whenever we deal with banks or the government.  I have more than the required amount of money in the bank as well.  I just got fed up with having to jump through more and more hoops.  I am now very happy to pay someone else to take care of things for me.  

Prudent approach........................

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Been doing marriage extensions for 7 years now and the first application was to get the right docs, now it is just routine to submit the same set of papers every year now. Only the TM 30 was an extra requirement a few years ago but is now part of the routine.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the advice. I hope I won't make the newbie mistakes next time...

I finally found out what went wrong with my bank statement: I made a deposit of 400k two months ago via Wise which didn't show up as a FTT transfer on my bank book. I've then made another deposit of 400k later trying Wise again (this time with the correct option selected) and that didn't show as a FTT transfer either. The bank's letter only showed my recent deposit which was less than 2 months ago.

My mistake was not properly checking the letter at CW before rushing to the immigration desk. You live, you learn... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Katsura said:

Thank you all for the advice. I hope I won't make the newbie mistakes next time...

I finally found out what went wrong with my bank statement: I made a deposit of 400k two months ago via Wise which didn't show up as a FTT transfer on my bank book. I've then made another deposit of 400k later trying Wise again (this time with the correct option selected) and that didn't show as a FTT transfer either. The bank's letter only showed my recent deposit which was less than 2 months ago.

My mistake was not properly checking the letter at CW before rushing to the immigration desk. You live, you learn... 

Never had to show the lump sum deposit as coming from abroad. Only ever had to show the bank book with the 400000 which is the same for the past 7 years and many bank book changes.

I understood it is the people doing 12 monthly transfer deposits because they do not have the lump sum amount who need to show 12 monthly regular ftt transactions from abroad.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

When I retired, I switched to a spousal visa and did all of the paperwork myself.  Every year there was always some new requirement. 

Which is odd because I've used CM Immigration since 2009, and the 1 year family extensions have always required exactly the same paperwork. The only problem I ever had at CM Immigration was getting a queue number.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Never had to show the lump sum deposit as coming from abroad

Money in bank does not need to be shown as coming from abroad for extensions based both on marriage and retirement.

For non O application only retirement requires funds to be shown coming from abroad. 

Non O (marriage) does not have that requirement.

Not sure why op is referring to need to show/prove foreign transfer for his extension when it's not required.

On different matter you stated this....

"Only the TM 30 was an extra requirement a few years ago but is now part of the routine".

I note that tm30 was also required for the OP.

I have never shown tm30 for extensions. Recently obtained extension 2 weeks back. However I'm using based on retirement.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Katsura said:

I went to the Bangkok Bank branch first asking for a bank book update and a letter confirming that I have the money in the bank. Foolishly I didn't ask my wife to check the letter and I just assumed it was the correct one. What needs to be in that letter specifically? What would I need to ask the bank?  

I ask my Bangkok Bank for a 'letter for immigration'

The bank knows how to do them @100bht.

I also ask them for a 3 month bank statement for immigration, as I rarely update my bank book, that's another 100bht.

Two copies of each please ..... no extra charge for the copies.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I see where the error was in the money in the bank. The OP thought that it must show it coming from overseas so when his first Wise transfer did not show as an international transfer he did another transfer but the last transfer was the one that the bank listed and it showed that the money had not been seasoned for the 2 months before the application. The bank letter did not show the previous transfer. As for the marriage certificate, the original has always been needed to show the IO and the updated Kor Ror 2 papers to prove that you are still married. I have always done a new TM.30 with every new application and have never had any problems so far. Just a word of warning about Wise Transfers, there has been many caught out lately because it appears that Wise transfers do not show as international transfers anymore, there has been a lot of discussions on here about it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2