What countries have you lived in? (Just for fun)

simon43

On 11/11/2021 at 5:13 PM, nikmar said:

a year in Saudi. I prefer Thailand so much more.

I had 4 years in that <deleted><deleted> place because I made so much money. Only good thing about it was that it was only a 6 hour flight from LOS and I could often get 4 seats in center of 747 on that vile airline to sleep on.

Best country ( not really a country at all ) was Antarctica. Sadly the only way to live there is to work for the government. Trying to live there independently would be economically impossible for most.

Best scenery anywhere and almost devoid of humans- win win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

There's nothing better than being upstairs on Emirates A380. 

Saying that, be careful when flying Dubai to Jeddah.

Emirates converted an A380 to 800 seats, so no 1st or business class, yes 800 cattle class seats.

I remember on a few occasions when it was time for Mecca there was always a death on board. Sad, poor old buggars, very, very old people, never traveled in their lives but had to travel for their religious beliefs, visit mecca before they die.

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Saying that, be careful when flying Dubai to Jeddah.

Emirates converted an A380 to 800 seats, so no 1st or business class, yes 800 cattle class seats.

I remember on a few occasions when it was time for Mecca there was always a death on board. Sad, poor old buggars, very, very old people, never traveled in their lives but had to travel for their religious beliefs, visit mecca before they die.

Used to visit a factory on the Jeddah/Mecca road, there’s big signs on the highway as you get maybe 25km from Mecca . “ Muslims ⬆️, Non- Muslims ↗️

Non- Muslims took a slip road which went over the highway and back down the other side, sending you back to Jeddah ????.

The owner of the factory bought land and made a huge parking lot for the drivers of all the buses bringing the faithful for the Haji, clever guy became very rich.

Saudi is an interesting place, but have no desire to return !!

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Used to visit a factory on the Jeddah/Mecca road, there’s big signs on the highway as you get maybe 25km from Mecca . “ Muslims ⬆️, Non- Muslims ↗️

Non- Muslims took a slip road which went over the highway and back down the other side, sending you back to Jeddah ????.

The owner of the factory bought land and made a huge parking lot for the drivers of all the buses bringing the faithful for the Haji, clever guy became very rich.

Saudi is an interesting place, but have no desire to return !!

Bloody awful place. 

Early days we would drive for hours to get to the chopper location. You'd see 10 year old boys with mum in the back seat driving the family car. 

Whilst waiting in the chopper terminal during Ramadan you'd get bullied if they saw you drinking water from your water bottle, always had to go to the bathroom to sneak a sip of water. 

Always stayed the night before crew change in the Mercure Hotel Damman, they have a plaque out the front saying 5star. It always made me wonder how a 5star hotel can offer you a menu without a wine list. 

I hated the joint, no matter where I traveled around the world there'd always be an attractive lady behind the checkin counter, there'd always be an attractive lady in the restaurant, there'd always be an attractive housemaid to clean your room. 
Not in the <deleted> hole Saudi

I've worked for many years in Muslim countries, Malaysia, Indonesia, it was always a pleasure to visit these countries, to see a beautiful lady at checkin, restaurants, maid service, makes a big difference to us Aussies. 

Bring on the beauty, can't get enough of it. 

• Like 2

Born in Denmark, but for some reason my parents thought I was better of spending my childhood in Nigeria. So I started out there when I was 3 years old.

Next was UK, Israel, Egypt, Vietnam, Myanmar and now Thailand. So most of my life has been spent abroad. Only times I have been “home” was a few years to study and on short holidays.

Overall it has been a great to live in abroad and experience different cultures up close.  

My only regret is that I have lost the emotional connection to what was my “home-country” a long time ago. I feel way more “at home” in the countries I lived in.

So when I hear other foreigners here say they are going back home or

”Why don’t you just go back home?”, I can’t really related to that. That’s a strange feeling to have.

Anyway next up will be Philippines or Belize for a few years.

Will probably end my days in Thailand. Over 50 now and been coming here since I was 19, so it’s kind the closest I can come to something I can relate to as “home”.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

I worked in the hotel industry since my late teens (I'm 50 now) and I got my experiences from the bottom up. . . I started bashing pots in the kitchen of a hotel in my hometown in middle England. I then somehow got on the opening team of Eurodisney in Paris in what was the largest hotel in Europe at the time, this was a crazy time in my life.

I stayed in the industry for a number of years, and then left for New Zealand and did various jobs.

From New Zealand I went to Hong Kong

Then Thailand, where I married back into the hotel industry, built a new hotel, founded an IT consultancy, had kids and settled.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly