Who are the real tourists?

starky

Wanted to do a poll, but wasn't sure how lol. Maybe someone else could. See a lot of comments that I find amusing and though I think this forum for the most part is still highly populated by a certain type of tourist ill ask anyway.

I agree that there is not many/ if any tourists coming at the moment but once the "floodgates" open...

-What percentage of tourists come exclusively or mostly to frequent bars, go-gos and other night-life venues?

- What percentage would include the above as at least a portion of their trip?

-What percentage of tourists could come here and not all be concerned about alcohol sales? (This one seems to be fairly contentious with many saying they wouldn't go on holiday if they couldn't drink alcohol. Which I can't fathom. I love a drink but it wouldn't stop me holidaying somewhere I wanted to see.)

I think there seems to be some disconnect. Well at least on this forum about how important bars and the sale of alcohol are to the average tourist. I also think Thailand is saying, though the message isn't clear enough, that when they want "quality tourists" they aren't talking about a huge influx of millionaires but a huge exodus of sex tourists.

I think there may be room for say some very small parts of Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket to remain as those sort of destinations but long term there is definitely a huge pivot away from it. Which would lead to other obvious questions like would Phuket and Pattaya be more attractive to most tourists if the bars weren't present? 

Personally I think it will be better for Thailand and not at a huge financial loss either.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The bottom line is that Thailand has this love-hate feelings towards tourists, they want them but the want to pick and choose and make them runs gauntlets of multiple documentations, jabs, quarantine and insurances all at a cost, a recent poll in Thailand found out that majority of Thais don't want tourists to come back yet but the government need the money and desperately want to go back to the glory days of 40 millions tourists a year, BUT on their terms and time...

So more on topic what percentage of that 40 million in your opinion come to Thailand mostly for the bar/nightlife/"entertainment" industry? 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

The bottom line is that Thailand has this love-hate feelings towards tourists, they want them but the want to pick and choose and make them runs gauntlets of multiple documentations, jabs, quarantine and insurances all at a cost, a recent poll in Thailand found out that majority of Thais don't want tourists to come back yet but the government need the money and desperately want to go back to the glory days of 40 millions tourists a year, BUT on their terms and time...

Who conducted the recent poll? And what cross section of the public did 'they' ask, whoever 'they 'are? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know from a good hotel with nice buffets which are often full of people that they get few bookings if they are not allowed to sell alcohol on that day. And that is the same for Thai guests, farangs who live here and tourist.

It seems for lots of people a nice dinner is no nice dinner without alcohol.

Point taken. But are those that are  inclined to imbibe a fine wine with a meal the same that must have a beer with their all you can eat buffet. ???????????? sorry couldn't help myself. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure someone who likes 'fine wine' would ever be found in Thailand.

The wine and beer on offer here just ain't that good, and in the case of wine, wildly expensive.

On a more personal note, 'all you can eat buffet', I've never been interested as I don't eat all that much food at one sitting, so they aren't worthwhile. Overeating just makes me feel ill!

Obviously my whole OP is a bit tounge in cheek and there is no malice involved but I find it amusing that there is a certain demographic that thinks Thailand will totally collapse without them being here. I believe they are waaaay off base and the need for their presence however important it may have been during the Vietnam era is rapidly dwindling into extinction. There is also another demographic that believes Thailand owes them something due to their life choices I also think their day in the Sun might be waning. Of course this is only my opinion. ????????????

Edited by starky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, starky said:

So more on topic what percentage of that 40 million in your opinion come to Thailand mostly for the bar/nightlife/"entertainment" industry? 

Depends on whether one includes businessmen from a country to the south that came over on weekends, and Japanese/ Arabs etc that have their own pretty exclusive areas.

Only referring to western tourists, IMO not a high %. IMO most came on package tours and stayed in resorts and went on organised tours.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If Thailand didn't want prostitution to happen, or rather didn't want Westerners coming to Thailand for prostitution (they obviously aren't bothered by prostitution used by Thais), don't you think they would end it?  They know where it goes on and since covid came along they seem to have been able to keep most bars and nightclubs closed, so it isn't like targeting a type of business is beyond their means.

They can clearly keep a business closed when they want to, so if they don't want Pattaya to be full of Western focused prostitution, why haven't they stopped it before?

Im assuming the keep it open for the most part for all the tea money involved. Asia doesn't have any issue with prostitution what they have an issue with is face. Subtle is fine blatant maybe not so much. But as you say if they wanted it completely abolished it would be gone depending on the rank of the jao por who really runs these operations I suspect.

Nothing is as it seems I would think it goes much higher than let's just close the bars and its got nothing to do with the westerners who frequent them. As you would be aware many here are way above persecution or punishment. 

Edited by starky

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure someone who likes 'fine wine' would ever be found in Thailand.

The wine and beer on offer here just ain't that good, and in the case of wine, wildly expensive.

On a more personal note, 'all you can eat buffet', I've never been interested as I don't eat all that much food at one sitting, so they aren't worthwhile. Overeating just makes me feel ill!

Just an observation. Agree wine is expensive here, nonetheless, if one is willing to pay the price, one can get a fine wine. As to buffets? I cannot eat so much either, however, what is appealing is the selection to try different tastes.

• Like 2

Most countries have nightlife entertainment in one form or another, some highly discreet, some less so. I would guess that about 25% plus of visitors enjoy at least a meal out and a drink or two in the evening, while maybe about 10% plus proceed thereafter to sample more exotic activities. 

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

These types of threads and the redundant subject matter - been done to death?

just an observation. 

Thats alright mate heaps of other threads to read if this one doesn't interest you.. funnily enough not many even tried to hazard a guess and it went quickly off topic like most threads as well.

Just an observation

My Thai holidays in the last 15 years were in Phuket from 2004 to 2011 and then Koh Chang from 2012 to 2019. I am a bit of a creature of habit as you can tell. As such most the tourists I see, particularly in Koh Chang,  are 'normal' tourists here for a nice break with nice resorts and a bit of beach and nature. Probably forty per cent of those just eat at restaurants and don't go out much at night and a different 40 per cent younger half also go out at night to night clubs and may take in a naughty show for a giggle. Then you have your loner or small groups of men at say Pattaya, Patong, and Bangkok and dispersed at other resort areas. They appear to range from guys just going out and having fun, looking for women as well, to those being there for one reason only. If I had to hazard a guess I would say they are 15 to 20 per cent. I have only been to Pattaya once and the ratios would differ significantly there.

For alcohol I think most tourists would find it obnoxious not to be able to drink at dinner and that half who want to go out to night clubs would find no alcohol a huge deterrence. I don't drink much so I am happy to have a beer on the hotel balcony from a store.  

My ex wife and girlfriend love a good buffet and some hotels provide amazing buffets and our choice is influenced by that. I just wish you could access them a bit later. We  tend to change our habits by having no lunch and small dinners so we can enjoy the big buffet. Saves cost too.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 6:31 AM, starky said:

About 75%. May I point out that I am only referring to Western tourists and not these who come to see a Thai wife or GF.

Edited by possum1931

18 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

If Thailand didn't want prostitution to happen, or rather didn't want Westerners coming to Thailand for prostitution (they obviously aren't bothered by prostitution used by Thais), don't you think they would end it?  They know where it goes on and since covid came along they seem to have been able to keep most bars and nightclubs closed, so it isn't like targeting a type of business is beyond their means.

They can clearly keep a business closed when they want to, so if they don't want Pattaya to be full of Western focused prostitution, why haven't they stopped it before?

If there was a properly elected government in power and no soldiers stole power in 2014, I don't think we would even be having this discussion. Only an opinion.

4 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You live in Northern Thailand and think there's nothing to see, you for real?

You should get out more....

There's always something to see.  Just have to seek and open your eyes.  Even though it's a really small country, I always find something interesting when out & about, if not just the view.