Who are the real tourists?

starky

13 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

These types of threads and the redundant subject matter - been done to death?

just an observation. 

As are the replies that add nothing to the topic or are off topic.  Like this one, mine.

just an observation .. ????

On 11/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are lots of people in Thailand who are willing to spend a lot of money on food and wine.

About all you can eat buffets: Aren't all buffets "all you can eat"? At least in the places where I go they are only called buffets and people know that they can go several times and can eat all they want.

In my experience those buffets are often a better value than ordering al la carte. I.e. if I go to a "normal" restaurant and eat a soup, a main course and something sweet then the bill might be 1500 THB. For a buffet it's maybe 1000 THB with more choices and some drinks included. Some have also good free flow packages. 

Only "all you can eat" buffets I went to were in hotels I stayed at and were considerably less than 1000. I partook because I could eat enough not to need to eat again all day.

I did try a well known pizza chain "All you can eat" evening once, when they had them, but I think they ordered the serving wenches to ignore hands waving at them for a refill. That idea didn't last long anyway.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only "all you can eat" buffets I went to were in hotels I stayed at and were considerably less than 1000. I partook because I could eat enough not to need to eat again all day.

I did try a well known pizza chain "All you can eat" evening once, when they had them, but I think they ordered the serving wenches to ignore hands waving at them for a refill. That idea didn't last long anyway.

Gluttons are a plague. 

• Haha 1

I do believe that a decent percentage of tourism to Thailand was by single guys ('single' termed loosely) seeking a holiday with sex.  Ever since the US turned places like Pattaya into an R&R spot for soldiers in the Vietnam conflict, sex tourism blossomed.  

Without the sex tourists Thailand's tourism industry was still probably significant.  

Personally I have no sympathy for the many thousands of Thai prostitutes who chose that life and now face facts of life of actual hard work.  Arguments that these women (and other gender) had no choice is a rubbish excuse.  There are millions of women working in normal industries who are in exactly the same situation as most Thai prostitutes (have a kid, abandoned by the father, etc). Yes pay is low. They predominantly have tight knit family networks so support each other. 

Thai prostitutes too often have scammed and ruined men, were (and still are) sponsored, with very lucrative monthly incomes by idiotic foreigners who pay more than they really need, but give very little in return (other than sexual services - rest of the time playing on their phones and not lifting a finger, whilst developing a very unhealthy and unhelpful narcissistic sense of entitlement - many turning into fat, unattractive snobs - Westernized).  

Thai men utilize prostitutes as they have for hundreds of years or more. But they don't treat these women like princesses that foreigner men often do (white knight syndrome).  

Bring it on! Decimate the red light areas of Thailand such as Pattaya and transform them into whatever Thailand wants.   I couldn't care less. Maybe forcing the women into functional humans with more aspirations than scoring it rich by riding thousands of men day and night, and restoring some dignity. 

Farang tourists seeking a sexual release will travel elsewhere.  Farangs who reside in Thailand for the convenient pay for sex culture, will move to another country or even address their sex addictions!!!!  

Edited by aussienam

Based on the ever declining nightlife, it would suggest the vast majority were not mongers. However, that does not mean the tourists do not want to have a beer or some wine with dinner! And to have the option of going to a bar for a drink. 

As long as the extreme timidity continues, combined with the intense fear mongering, the "re-opening" will have little chance of success. 

It is time for the little men to man up. If they are even capable of showing some courage. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 11/11/2021 at 5:31 PM, starky said:

So more on topic what percentage of that 40 million in your opinion come to Thailand mostly for the bar/nightlife/"entertainment" industry? 

I would say 80%. Exclude females and families, all are sex tourists in Thailand. Some are for as a stepping stone to find their future brides and some are for pure origies. The first category is mostly retired old people (more than 50 years old). 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, aussienam said:

Bring it on! Decimate the red light areas of Thailand such as Pattaya and transform them into whatever Thailand wants.  

IMO what Thailand wants is to transfer money from farangs to themselves. If having Thai girls sleep with loadsafarangs achieves the objective, that's what they will have, and if it's more convenient having most of it done in a few locations rather than all over the country, then Pattaya will return to what it was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO what Thailand wants is to transfer money from farangs to themselves. If having Thai girls sleep with loadsafarangs achieves the objective, that's what they will have, and if it's more convenient having most of it done in a few locations rather than all over the country, then Pattaya will return to what it was.

I believe, in time, it all will return to what it was - by it's very nature.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 6:41 AM, BritManToo said:

I'd agree with you ....... then add, Thailand isn't a place I've ever wanted to see.

Vietnam is amazing, loads to see and do without drinking.

China the same, too much to see.

I don't actually understand why the Chinese come to Thailand, their own country has much more to see.

Cachet among their friends?

Please don't comment or ask questions about the inscrutable Chinese.

There are just too many things you don't understand about China, maybe.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Cachet among their friends?

Please don't comment or ask questions about the inscrutable Chinese.

There are just too many things you don't understand about China, maybe.

This would certainly apply to particular Western civilisations. 

Vacant perceptions and connections are also tradition among the same Euro-classes.

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You mean that you do not like totalitarian regimes? 

I can't believe it.

You mean that democracy is a better system?

Really?

The only totalitarian regime I'd like would be one I was in charge of.

As someone said a while back, democracy is a really bad system of government, but it's better than the rest.