Thai sex workers call for billion-dollar industry to be recognised

webfact

7 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

Tourists will forget Thailand and head to Japan, Viet Nam and numerous other places that add excitement and pleasures to their lives.  People do not travel to distant places to see/do more than what they can do in their home areas.  They are looking for the bright lights, music and other delights not available near their homes.  They already have enough shopping malls, movie theaters and other things found in every city so why take an expensive trip and jump through the hoops now needed to come here to see more of the same.  Thailand used to provide the break, attractions, night life and more that would make people want to come here.  What's left.  Temples (after seeing about 50 or more they all look alike), glitzy high priced shopping malls and ............?   

Gambling should never be legalized here.  Too many people here believe so much in 'luck, amulets, lucky numbers and whatever else' that they waste what little money they may have betting on their potential big winnings that never come.  No such thing as 'legal' gambling here except of course the government lottery that seems to escape the laws on gambling.  Look at the USA Power Ball and other similar lottery types.  They have had multi million and I believe now even a billion dollar winner.  Just think if instead of having a multi million winner, they could run the game so there could be multiple one million dollar winners for each game enriching the lives of so many more people.    

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

How could they pay "unemployment insurance"? 

None of those women pays 1 Baht in taxes. All straight into their pockets.

What would they receive in return from the government if they did pay taxes?  Most of the girls I have met are only doing what they must to survive.  Granted, some are able to make a fine living from their work at least in monetary terms.  Most I have met are ladies and I treat them as such.  Their lack of a decent education is pretty common here and prevents them from obtaining work at a living wage so they do what they have to often providing support to their immediate and sometimes distant relatives.  How many times have I heard of a girl with thousands of baht in their possession going to visit their families and coming back with nothing left for themselves.  If you frequent the high tourist areas (if there is such a thing anymore) you may meet ladies who have the 'get what you can while you can' attitude as their 'customers' are here for 2-3 weeks then gone for another year or so.  Many wonderful ladies in the less touristy areas may be more content with someone who may turn out to be a long term boyfriend or even a husband and they treat them well.  To avoid the bar/go go scene look for a lady at the mall, local hospital, bank and many other similar places.  Great potential spouses are every where, just go meet them.        

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Yes.  Not wishing to be rude, but she appears to be not particularly attractive.  Older and quite fat.  I wonder how she competes with the twenty something slim and cute girls.  Must have very low prices.

Good luck to her though.

Having personally probably spent too much time in these sort of areas, i always found is surprising that everyone seems to get a go.

Even what you might describe as rough, will generally pick up some sort of customer at some point.

Are the billions from the sex industry included in or added to the government estimates (various) of the percentage of  Thai GDP ??

I realize that the sex industry catering for Thais  hugely overshadows the one which caters for overseas tourists.....

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Of course, upon first getting here I was thinking with the smaller head, and went after the younger, skinnier ones. Both "professionals" and regular dating. I wasted a lot of time and money, got some occasional fun in return, though it really wasn't proportional.

Their attitudes and maturity are atrocious. Even at 25-30 many still are essentialy children. From an early age they get used to getting more attention than others, then upon entering "the industry", having money thrown at them. This has tremendous psychological effect resulting in not wanting to do real work, nor form real relationships, nor give back real affection. Though there are those occasional, fortunate exceptions, those who've lucked out with a bar girl will tell you.

I noticed this following my arrival in the LOS, now again with the returned bar girls in my village. Some have made the most of the situation, helping their families, selling food in the markets, or providing online "entertainment". Yet others just can't stand the predicament they're now in, entitled princesses stripped of their rank. "Oh, where are my loyal subjects?" they wonder, as they stomp around the moo ban, growing and scowling, barkling complaints at their dear grandparents, who still dutifully hand them a few baht in change. I can't believe the effort they spend in making things so unpleasant, which could just as well do otherwise. I can see clearly now the nightmares some farangs end up with.

But now it's harvest time, and so they're dragged by their parents, who they had at one time disowned and thought they had burnt bridges with, out to the fields to cut rice. The look on the weary old farmer's face as she reluctantly hops into the saleng says it all, "It's this or back to Sukhumvit". Som nam na.

So after those first few, largely unfulfilling months of young pretties, I then broadened my horizons. I noticed those older, chunkier ones off to the sidelines, the ones who don't get as much attn. Both "industry" pros as well those in legit hospitality, restaurant and hotel staff. Much better attitudes. Much more humble. They know they need to work hard to get what they want out of life. They know they need to treat people right to get the same in return. If I had went to them from the start I would've had a much better time, much better memories, and would suggest anyone to do the same. And so it was one of those restaurant staff I took a Line ID from, not expecting much as I already had so many, who stuck by as I kept wasting time going down the wrong paths, and would eventually become my wife.

Well done, well said.

11 hours ago, kevin612 said:

When pandemic is over, walking street will be back to Normal. Cheers.

Which crystal ball are you using? Can you forcast the economic outlook, political atmosphere and future storms as well? 

I wonder if their earnings are included in Thailand"s GDP figures ?

The U.K. now includes in its GDP the earnings (but how arrived at?) of prostitution and crime.
All part of a growing concern by politicians in power to make falling GDP look better than it is.
Government statisticians manipulate the CPI figures in the opposite direction.  By - for example - substitution of a cheaper food for a more expensive one, judged to be "equivalent".

In the U.S. and France they do the same sort of thing, but the British are a step ahead of them on this.

• Like 1

Fat chance of that !  This government wants to deep cleanse Thailand , sweep everything under the carpet .  I'm sure the next thing will be rehabilitation centres for the sex workers .   

Alas, Darl, you will get no help

Unlike Australia where you are registered, pay tax & do an annual tax return even if "self" employed.

The "sex industry" in Thailand  before Covid was up & running but alas, illegal so I bet not one of the "beauties" has ever paid one Baht in tax, so why should the Government even admit you exist ?

9 hours ago, Jen65 said:

Fat chance of that !  This government wants to deep cleanse Thailand , sweep everything under the carpet .  I'm sure the next thing will be rehabilitation centres for the sex workers .   

Perhaps weaving carpets to sweep matters under?

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 8:08 AM, BangkokReady said:

Yes.  Not wishing to be rude, but she appears to be not particularly attractive.  Older and quite fat.  I wonder how she competes with the twenty something slim and cute girls.  Must have very low prices.

Good luck to her though.

Yeah but you need to put on your beer-glasses and check again. 

It usually takes about eight beers to turn a dog into a fox in every country in the world, except maybe Nepal.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:13 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Is what I try to say to these bargirls--is a fleeting lifestyle---but once you commit to it you are then "stuck" in that line of work forever---unless they find some desperate grandpa

Most bargirls IMO are doing it to get a bit of capital and never intend for it to be a lifetime occupation, which is a nonsense anyway, as their window to earn large is the few short years when they are young and attractive.

My first long time bar girl friend that I knew since 20 years old gave it up at 24 and went to university. She'd still go to the beach with me when I visited LOS, but at 28 she found some rich guy to marry her and I didn't see her again.

I very rarely saw girls in Pattaya longer than a year.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Really.... I keep seeing some of the same old GGGs I knew from many years ago.... they have memories like elephants. I got  bit fed up of it actually, as these gals would often latch onto me, not worried by my, or their, deterioration of appearance!

On 11/17/2021 at 9:07 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Most bargirls IMO are doing it to get a bit of capital and never intend for it to be a lifetime occupation, which is a nonsense anyway, as their window to earn large is the few short years when they are young and attractive.

My first long time bar girl friend that I knew since 20 years old gave it up at 24 and went to university. She'd still go to the beach with me when I visited LOS, but at 28 she found some rich guy to marry her and I didn't see her again.

if ur are into that kind of thing--not my style but to each their own......education is more of a draw for me

• Confused 1

On 11/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, Neeranam said:

Illegal workers should not get any compensation from the government, what a ridiculous idea. 

Catch 22.

They work in an illegal profession, therefore can not pay taxes, which entitles them to social security.

Legalize the profession, and the Thai government can allow them to participate in the Thai economy, including obtaining finance, which is great for domestic consumption.  

Cannabis cafes everywhere now.  Why not legalize prostitution?   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Pls tell me where i can go in a buy a joint.

Your local moto taxi driver can hook you up.  ????

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Have you tried any of these cafes that merely put up a canabis leaf  and sell drinks, cookies etc?

I'm not into THC, but I have been told you can ask for "the special" at some of them.