Thai sex workers call for billion-dollar industry to be recognised

webfact

ABC.jpg

Sex workers are unable to access any of the Thai government's unemployment benefits due to their work being illegal.(ABC News: Mark Dobbin)

By South-East Asia correspondent Mazoe Ford and Supattra Vimonsuknopparat in Pattaya, Thailand

It is hard to imagine, but Pattaya's near-deserted "Walking Street" used to teem with revellers, as pulsating music filled the air and neon lights flashed until the early hours.

Before the pandemic, the coastal city south-east of Bangkok was a buzzing party scene, and was once described by the Lonely Planet travel guidebook as "an eye-popping sensory explosion".

Today, bar stools sit atop dusty tables, the odd light bulb flickers and "For Rent" signs hang on bars, nightclubs and restaurants up and down the infamous red light district.

Crowds of tourists from all over the world have vanished – the only people around are a few locals heading home before the COVID-19 curfew kicks in. For 42-year-old sex worker Dao, Pattaya has never looked this depressing.

"Pattaya was a 'never sleep city'. There used to be so many people here, there was almost no space to stand," Dao told the ABC. "Now it is so quiet, it is lonely and quiet."

Full story: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-12/why-thailand-s-sex-workers-want-the-industry-legalised/100556522

screenshot_15738.jpg

-- © Copyright ABC NEWS 2021-11-12

Ahh.. Thai sex workers, a faded memories of them when the good times were abundantly a to be found everywhere and those lovelies ladies were a huge magnet to any entertainment place and a giant draw of male tourism... ( I know i was one )

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

For 42-year-old sex worker Dao....(no thanks...)

Yes.  Not wishing to be rude, but she appears to be not particularly attractive.  Older and quite fat.  I wonder how she competes with the twenty something slim and cute girls.  Must have very low prices.

Good luck to her though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Yes.  Not wishing to be rude, but she appears to be not particularly attractive.  Older and quite fat.  I wonder how she competes with the twenty something slim and cute girls.  Must have very low prices.

Good luck to her though.

Is what I try to say to these bargirls--is a fleeting lifestyle---but once you commit to it you are then "stuck" in that line of work forever---unless they find some desperate grandpa

41 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Good luck to her though.

With less competition around at the moment she could do better than she did pre-pandemic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Ahh.. Thai sex workers, a faded memories of them when the good times were abundantly a to be found everywhere and those lovelies ladies were a huge magnet to any entertainment place and a giant draw of male tourism... ( I know i was one )

Are the faded memories from years ago or yesterday? There are still lots of ladies in the streets - even if the bars are closed.

• Like 1

The Thai Puritan elites will never recognize sex workers.  The government Neo-Puritans are dismantling the bar, pub, and nightlife scene with the intents of putting the entire industry out of business.  Shower massage, karaoke, and Soi Cowboy are all on the chopping block as well. The government is dead set on legislating morality, not that the people at the top are moral themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Good luck to her though.

100 Baht and a free somtum

"All foreigners came here for women like me, there were no tourists who came here to see temples or just for sight-seeing," she said.

Well, the baht millionaires that end up in Pattaya...

I spent years and good money in India, Myanmar, Lao, Cambodia and Bali even Korea visiting temples and historic sites. My knowledge of Andaman islands is second to none.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

So after those first few, largely unfulfilling months of young pretties, I then broadened my horizons. I noticed those older, chunkier ones off to the sidelines, the ones who don't get as much attn. Both "industry" pros as well those in legit hospitality, restaurant and hotel staff. Much better attitudes. Much more humble. They know they need to work hard to get what they want out of life. They know they need to treat people right to get the same in return. If I had went to them from the start I would've had a much better time, much better memories, and would suggest anyone to do the same.

I've never noticed any of that.

The pretty girls are just as nice as the plain girls.

And don't expect any more either, so I've mainly picked slim and pretty.

Currently on my 3rd long term pretty, although not so pretty 5 years later.

Every Thai citizen already has UCS for health insurance. Unemployment insurance should be included for all Thais as well. That's where these workers are being let down by the government. However, it's naive to think any group anywhere can be made whole by unemployment insurance. Crying poverty because you can't make 10,000 baht every night is not going to resonate with the average Thai in a country with a 340 baht per day minimum wage.

4 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Every Thai citizen already has UCS for health insurance. Unemployment insurance should be included for all Thais as well. That's where these workers are being let down by the government. However, it's naive to think any group anywhere can be made whole by unemployment insurance. Crying poverty because you can't make 10,000 baht every night is not going to resonate with the average Thai in a country with a 340 baht per day minimum wage.

How could they pay "unemployment insurance"? 

None of those women pays 1 Baht in taxes. All straight into their pockets.

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Next thing someone will suggest to make gambling, like playing cards, legal.

Can't do that! Thais are good people! They don't gamble, would never pay for sex, etc. ???? 

And someone should think about all those police officers. Imagine they had no reason to collect some extra money to look the other way... 

Tourists will forget Thailand and head to Japan, Viet Nam and numerous other places that add excitement and pleasures to their lives.  People do not travel to distant places to see/do more than what they can do in their home areas.  They are looking for the bright lights, music and other delights not available near their homes.  They already have enough shopping malls, movie theaters and other things found in every city so why take an expensive trip and jump through the hoops now needed to come here to see more of the same.  Thailand used to provide the break, attractions, night life and more that would make people want to come here.  What's left.  Temples (after seeing about 50 or more they all look alike), glitzy high priced shopping malls and ............?   

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've never noticed any of that.

The pretty girls are just as nice as the plain girls.

And don't expect any more either, so I've mainly picked slim and pretty.

Currently on my 3rd long term pretty, although not so pretty 5 years later.

Neither are you!