EU is expensive - everywhere!

simon43

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Plenty of 'fixer upper' farmhouses in France for sale at 12-20KEuros.

I thought of buying one and living in a tent/caravan in the garage while fixing it up.

Not sure how good the internet is in some of the places though.

https://www.french-property.com/

Brittany, E20k

https://www.french-property.com/sale-property/119-PERRET6285

Thx for this. I have started to learn French after seeing this site!

Beautiful houses for sale, now only 2 issues remain A) Getting my Wife to come with me B) How to Arrange a "permanent" Visa for her ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Just throwing in an idea/option. There are numerous nice "mobile homes" that can be had for rent and outright purchase in Spain and others. Its worth a browse.

I was considering the same, but in the UK........the cost (in the UK) soon put paid to that idea.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Thx for this. I have started to learn French after seeing this site!

Beautiful houses for sale, now only 2 issues remain A) Getting my Wife to come with me B) How to Arrange a "permanent" Visa for her ????

If she is married with documents there is no problem, first apply for residency for yourself and then ask for family reunification

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

After staying 20 years in Laos nearly the whole world must seem expensive.

Actually, only a total of 4 years (1 year in 2013 and then 3 recent years).  But previous years living in Myanmar and Thailand and Cambodia do  mean that I am somewhat tight-fisted when paying out for lodgings, food and sex....

27 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

start investing in crypto and become feelthy reech and not have to worry about money anymore. 

* not a financial advice

I 'dabbled' in crypto some years ago.  Yes, my Ethereum is doing fine!  But my Pandacoin is not haha!

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

I don't recall me outwearing my welcome in any previous country! 

I'm very welcome to stay in Laos, just don't do ham radio ????

I'm very welcome to stay in Myanmar, just don't do ham radio ????

I'm very welcome to stay in Thailand, but stay away from Phuket if you like your kneecaps!!

@johng, Thailand in general no longer appeals to me, especially the visa requirements etc.  Ham radio is allowed (I have a Thai ham licence), but it is still somewhat restricted.

TBH, after 20 years, I'm rather 'jaded' by south-east Asia.

Yes, there are properties available for $1 in EU countries, but the conditions require you to be young, young family etc, not old and decrepid...

@BritManToo, we've talked about this before.  Nowadays, I don't think availability of fast internet will be a problem almost anywhere, especially with Starlink coming online in many locations.  Right now, I wouldn't want to buy a property to renovate, because I'm not yet sure if the environment will suit my lifestyle - so many things seem to have changed in the EU!  Sadly, I can't test out that idea in the Pyrenees (where I used to live), because of the silly rental prices....

The visas are a hassle and you'll need a broker but maybe Bali? Indo might be tolerant on radio because of all the islands and coms necessity.

Malaysia don't bother.

Doubt you'd like Philippines.

4 hours ago, zyphodb said:

And a Greek Cypriot family who'd like their house and land back...

Lol, newly-built house.  As for the land, it works both ways - many Turkish Cypriots lost their land as well. It's 47 years ago - get over it!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BE88 said:

If she is married with documents there is no problem, first apply for residency for yourself and then ask for family reunification

Thx for this.

We are really looking into this. (Wifey is not yet 100% onboard, but that is because of Family Related reasons (Father is ill) but I already told her we will not (and also can't) go next month. Maybe somewhere next year or even 2023)

Already found this site, because we want to take our Dog (Bang Kaew) with us so maybe useful for someone who is also thinking of moving away from Thailand and want to take their Pet with them!

https://www.pettravelthailand.com/

Edited by MJCM

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

Is your ham radio stuff the only concern you have with living in Laos ? if everything else seems good...why change your life for a hobby...unless of course the hobby has become your only activity in life and defines you.

I would guess not much different from golfers, fishermen, sailors, etc.  For many, these passions drive their lives.

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My ham radio activity is an important hobby for me because it allows me to test my technical projects and designs.  Doing ham radio (legally) in Laos has led to local police 'harassment' and financial extortion.  I'm not prepared to live in a country where my enjoyable hobby is an excuse for corrupt police to hassle me ????

PS - It's not my only hobby.  I also enjoy astronomy, computer software coding, STEM projects etc.

I'm quite thankful that "guitar geek" is still accepted in Thailand or I'd have to go. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To the thread title 'EU expensive' and have to agree.  Only buzzed around there once, and thought it was outrageously expensive compared to the Americas, as my only previous travels, before SEA.  And that was 20+ yrs ago .. ????

16 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yes thanks, I thought briefly about Vietnam.  To be brutally honest, after 20 living in south-east Asia, I feel a bit jaded and fancy a change of scenery.  I can cross-country ski in both Turkey and Cyprus, plus beaches of course.  Also, I'm only considering countries where the UK state pension for expats is index-linked.  In south-east Asia, that only applies to the Philippines...

Turkey seems quite low in accomadation costs.

This may be worth a browse

https://turkishclassified.com/category/turkey-property-for-rent

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Clearly you're not a scientist ????  I've designed antennas and comms systems for TV satellites, military satellites, weather, scientific satellites etc - all of which haven't fallen out of space yet......

Clearly, scientist is one of many many things I am not... sounds like the only interesting thing [to me] you might have done was open a guesthouse in Phuket and that didn't seem to go well... but enjoy what you enjoy... who cares what other's enjoy... 

• Like 1