EU is expensive - everywhere!

simon43

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I truly dont find that at all.. My cost of living with a like for like lifestyle once you package in husband and wife cars and all the costs.. Is ballpark the same in the UK. 

Then each little bit of luxury you add.. Leans more to the west than Thailand. Then western homes appreciating v Thais ones depreciating, with an actual functioning resale market where you can liquidate your asset if you wish.  

EU can be more expensive (I had apartments in Holland, Ireland, and a UK base pre covid) than UK I do notice that, especially the high tax economies like Holland. 

But there I make money easily.. here I spend it.. One is a net plus, the other a net drain. 

My friend moved back to Colorado about 5 years ago.  He said the cost of living was about the same.  Ignoring housing costs as he owned a home there.  What was expensive was eating out.  Booze was cheaper.  Helpers are WAY more money.  Leisure activities there were better (live music, bike paths, libraries, etc).

He said that's all changed now.  Inflation is raging.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Letseng said:

Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary. Many Brits moved to Hungary for cheap housing. Sunny, warm it is not.

Solid winters in all of these countries.

IMO only countries having territories in less than 20 degrees latitude have all year round warm beach type weather. There are not so many of them, and a lot are in Africa.

If you take out Africa and the countries in Central/South America the choice becomes quite limited - South East Asia, India, Sri Lanka and Australia.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 8:00 PM, simon43 said:

Lol, newly-built house.  As for the land, it works both ways - many Turkish Cypriots lost their land as well. It's 47 years ago - get over it!

People tell themselves a lot of stories to justly their decisions.  Enjoy yours. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, meechai said:

The only way to judge a place your thinking of moving to is boots on the ground

When I first came here I had the words 'for rent' on a piece of paper.

Spent days looking on my bike.

That is how you find the decent places

Boots on the ground for sure is the only way

Edited by seedy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Absolutely right. And this is particularly true of Cyprus.

I kept a home base in Cyprus when I was working in the middle east, so I know it very well, including the north.

I must admit I was very suprised to read that Simon thinks he will be able to cross country ski in Cyprus. A tiny area of the Troodos does have some very limited snowing in some years, but as for cross-country skiing!!!

On the other hand I was always very impressed with my German 100% trilingual bank manager who married a Cypriot, and her stories about how her father-in-law used camels to transport goods up and down the mountains in the good old days, but I'm fairly sure she didn't say anything about equipping the camels with skis ????

It's not uncommon for tour agencies to advertise "Come to Cyprus - snow ski in the morning, water ski in the afternoon" but we all know about the "creativity" employed by tour agencies555

Looks like snow to me! LOL.  I remember walking by this when I did that trail around Troodos.  Beautiful!  But I was there in the summer.

http://www.cyprusski.com/

image.png.886a649e41da959a226c8f4e9c578db1.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

People tell themselves a lot of stories to justly their decisions.  Enjoy yours. 

Historical facts don't lie.  I have no 'skin' in the game at all concerning Cyprus.  I checked facts, not hearsay or bias opinions.

I went skiing in the Troodos mountains many years ago ????  An inch of snow is enough for cross-country skiing, much more than Laos ever gets!!

Edited by simon43
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

The rents are cheaper because it's outside the EU. Look at the southern part of Cyprus (where lots of land was stolen by the Greek Cypriot community as well).  Rental prices are double the cost in the north, as are food/restaurant prices etc.  In fact, most destinations using the Euro are more expensive than non-EU countries, according to my research.

As far as Turkish North Cyprus is concerned, I was aware of course of the divisions.  But then I did a lot of historical research as well, and the facts were plain for me to see which side is the 'guilty party' in the sad division and past conflict on that island.

Ah, come on, tell us who you think the ‘guilty party’ is.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, norfolkandchance said:

Ah, come on, tell us who you think the ‘guilty party’ is.

Having kept a home base there for years when I was working across the middle east. I can say with some certainty that most Greek Cypriots mainly blame the Americans (there is valid evdidence that they colluded with Turkey over the 74 invasion), and most Turkish Cypriots blame the Greek military junta. The British of course had their fingers all over Cyprus for a long time, so they get blamed by all Cypriots, they also get some praise from all Cypriots.

Simon is quite wrong in his belief that Greek Cyrpiots have stolen Turkish Cypriot land. In fact the Greek Cypriots are meticulous in their preservation of Turkish Cypriot land deeds, quite possibly because they expect the Turkish Cypriots to do the same rather than any real altruism. The Turks (not Turkish Cypriots) believe it's the spoils of war. One sad consequence of this is that some of the beautiful Ottoman architecture in the south is just rotting away. This is marginally better than some of the classic Greek monuments in the north being used as cattle barns I guess.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Having kept a home base there for years when I was working across the middle east. I can say with some certainty that most Greek Cypriots mainly blame the Americans (there is valid evdidence that they colluded with Turkey over the 74 invasion), and most Turkish Cypriots blame the Greek military junta. The British of course had their fingers all over Cyprus for a long time, so they get blamed by all Cypriots, they also get some praise from all Cypriots.

Simon is quite wrong in his belief that Greek Cyrpiots have stolen Turkish Cypriot land. In fact the Greek Cypriots are meticulous in their preservation of Turkish Cypriot land deeds, quite possibly because they expect the Turkish Cypriots to do the same rather than any real altruism. The Turks (not Turkish Cypriots) believe it's the spoils of war. One sad consequence of this is that some of the beautiful Ottoman architecture in the south is just rotting away. This is marginally better than some of the classic Greek monuments in the north being used as cattle barns I guess.

Since this is totally off-topic, we can agree to disagree on the facts behind the division of Cyprus.  I won't comment on the politics.  As for the southern part of the island, I checked on house rental rates and they were out of my budget!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Well written piece BP. Six of one and half a dozen of the other. A sorry tale. Green Line still there and Famagusta and Nicosia Airport in ruins. I used to travel too both sides and I much preferred Kyrenia port to Limassol port.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 11:21 AM, simon43 said:

Look what 400 GBP gets you to rent in north Cyprus >>> modern house with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a private swimming pool...

Detached House To Rent in Çatalköy, Kyrenia - £400 - Property Id #221942 | 101evler.com

Pricing in Sterling should be a warning sign to anyone, More than likely in the middle of nowhere with no public transport, unfurnished and no mention of heating

After September gets very cold from around 16;00 onwards and can rain for 7 days or more without a break

if near a mountain possible poor or limited internet access speeds.

make sure you disable roaming on your mobile phone as one minute your connecting to a Northern Kibris radio mast and the next minute you connecting to a Southern Cyprus radio mast which will cost a fortune in roaming fees.

Turkish customs will love rummaging through your radio equipment anything unusual sends them into a tizzy

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, seedy said:

Have you looked at countries on the eastern shore of the Adriatic ?

Yes, that is also an option!  I'm a free man, so can live where I want!  When I arrive in Istanbul in a couple of weeks, I'll decide where I head from there >> stay in Turkey, go to Northern Cyprus or ???

6 hours ago, gearbox said:

Solid winters in all of these countries.

IMO only countries having territories in less than 20 degrees latitude have all year round warm beach type weather. There are not so many of them, and a lot are in Africa.

If you take out Africa and the countries in Central/South America the choice becomes quite limited - South East Asia, India, Sri Lanka and Australia.

I must admit I quite like the Croatia coastline.. I reckon I could handle the lifestyle there and year round weather.. 

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yes, that is also an option!  I'm a free man, so can live where I want!  When I arrive in Istanbul in a couple of weeks, I'll decide where I head from there >> stay in Turkey, go to Northern Cyprus or ???

Prices seem quite low in Albania, Montenegro, Croatia.

Looks quite beautiful, and climate should be good year round.

58 minutes ago, simon43 said:

you might want to stay in turkey for at least 14 days to avoid 10 days quarantine in Northern Cyprus if you are coming from a Dark Red country

https://saglik.gov.ct.tr/TRAVEL-RULES

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

you might want to stay in turkey for at least 14 days to avoid 10 days quarantine in Northern Cyprus if you are coming from a Dark Red country

https://saglik.gov.ct.tr/TRAVEL-RULES

Yes I know about that!  I already planned 14 days in Istanbul, see the dentist, open bank account etc.  But my journey on to Northern Cyprus all depends the nice radio licencing office giving me permission to operate in that territory.  I've filled in their application form etc, but if they are tardy in their response, then I'll just stay in Turkey!

On 11/12/2021 at 5:24 AM, BE88 said:

Northern Cyprus seems to me an excellent idea also because you don't want to buy there and anywhere, the place is cheap and beautiful, if you no like is easy change another place in Europe.  

Don't leave your money in a Cypriot bank account, can remember a few years back when the IMF and Central bank told them to fleece money from peoples bank account.

Your bank account savings were subject to a tax varying from 9% upto 60% depending what type of account and how much money you had in there.

The money was just taken from your account you had no jurisdiction over the money.

Interestingly this is the same all over the world, when you put put money in 'your' account you are not making a deposit, as such, rather you are actually lending the money to the bank, so its theres to do what they want with.

Of course in some developed Countries the government does cover upto about 80,000 pounds of whatever you have in your accounts.

Banks do not take deposits nor do they lend money. (Technically by law defintion)

They borrow your money and actually create money in the form of a 'loan'

indeed, money in bank accounts don't belong to you anymore, add the new global compliance requirements, and you could see your money seized for no reason at all

hence why rich people buy government treasury at negative rate (the insurance) when you have millions in cash and assets like "art" which is not traceable and tax free.

Edited by GrandPapillon

54 minutes ago, ed strong said:

Don't leave your money in a Cypriot bank account, can remember a few years back when the IMF and Central bank told them to fleece money from peoples bank account.

Your bank account savings were subject to a tax varying from 9% upto 60% depending what type of account and how much money you had in there.

The money was just taken from your account you had no jurisdiction over the money.

Interestingly this is the same all over the world, when you put put money in 'your' account you are not making a deposit, as such, rather you are actually lending the money to the bank, so its theres to do what they want with.

Of course in some developed Countries the government does cover upto about 80,000 pounds of whatever you have in your accounts.

Banks do not take deposits nor do they lend money. (Technically by law defintion)

They borrow your money and actually create money in the form of a 'loan'

Klaus Martin Schwab of Davos stated in his book in 2030 you own nothing and you will be happy.

Declaration of a communist system with the oligarchs at the top and consequently you should no longer worry about having a bank account because it will exist anymore on the world. 

16 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

We went to a sandwich shop in Colorado.  Kinda like Subway.  We had a sandwich and a beer.  $30 for 2.  The sandwich was pretty good, but jeez.

My friend there said the price of meat has more than doubled in the past few months.  He said it's insane.  And housing?  Ridiculous.  Definitely not a good time to be in the US.

Utterly ridiculous runaway inflation. And they do not want to talk about it. Unless you are wealthy, or making stupid money, you are struggling to make ends meet in the US now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Had coffee and cake (me and the missus).......Zugersee, Switzerland ........$40.......no meat!!!

We were there a few months ago.  The prices made my eyes water!  Seriously!  Cut the trip short and went to Portugal.  Loved it there so much, spent a month cruising around.

• Like 1