EU is expensive - everywhere!

simon43

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

DAMN....so I don't own a whole Sicilian high street?

you could ....if you are a young person and would start  food shop , barber shop , shoe repair shop , cantina etc. , so people do not leave those dead villages anymore ..... understand the context they like to happen .

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

Did you check out Malta ?  I haven't  ....just asking out of curiosity .

The trouble with these island destinations is traveling elsewhere ........you have the cost of a (usually expensive) flight to even begin your journey.

• Like 2

The situation with the United Nations  demilitarised zone in Cyprus might hinder the use of ham radios there. Just a thought.

Many may not be aware that many countries still send peacekeepers there. Australian police agencies have been providing personnel for decades. 

• Like 1

I recall when Simon leased property near Phuket Airport he had some sort of booster or backup system which enhanced the flight radar there. (I don't know details)

I do recall when he left the Island it was no longer possible to track planes on the taxiways with FlightRadar. 

• Haha 1

Simon, it doesnt seem to make sense to me that you consider South America too far when you have gone half way around the world to Asia but then I've often wondered why Brits do that. For me it is is still 8 hours from Oz but at least a direct flight. Certainly if rents are an issue Oz is out of the question. $1000 AUD would at best get you a small one bedroom flat in an outer suburban area of Brisbane and more than that in Melbourne or Sydney. House values here are going up at an insane rate.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The situation with the United Nations  demilitarised zone in Cyprus might hinder the use of ham radios there. Just a thought.

Many may not be aware that many countries still send peacekeepers there. Australian police agencies have been providing personnel for decades. 

Plus the Turks might have something to say about ham radios. They got the best side of the Island.

One of my War stories. I was on duty in Operations at RAF Akrotiri  on the night of the Turkish invasion. Scary times.

1 minute ago, norfolkandchance said:

Plus the Turks might have something to say about ham radios. They got the best side of the Island.

One of my War stories. I was on duty in Operations at RAF Akrotiri  on the night of the Turkish invasion. Scary times.

Ham radio is very well established in mainland Turkey and also in north Cyprus.  I have all the 'rule books' and have already applied for my ham licence that is given without any fee ????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Malta has recently introduced a Nomad Visa.  But you need to commit to bringing $2,500 USD into Malta every month.  I prefer to spread my lowly income across several different bank accounts in different countries.  So Malta is not for me.

Malta's checkered banking history and links with many shady Russian characters has been heavily publicised in the past.  

My friends are hanging out in Alanya, Turkey, and love it.  You can see some of their videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUZ_ruZiGLQuIbG99UwvbZw

They have a condo in Pattaya, but since it's a ghost town, got a beautiful penthouse apartment for 600 Euros.  As you say, visas are easy.  Weather is good, but quite hot in the summer.  We were headed there last month, but couldn't make it.  COE issues.

Cyprus is great.  As mentioned above, I wouldn't buy property in N. Cyprus, but it's quite nice there.  Cyprus is OK also, but over run with Russians and the mafia.  It's pretty bad.

We went back to the US for the first time in a decade.  My oh my how prices have gone up.  Especially recently.  Stunning.

If interested, my friends have a agent that can help with rental properties.  And long term visas.

Best of luck!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A wildcard entry:  Mauritius?  Immigration seems reasonable (to me at least):

https://www.sovereigngroup.com/mauritius/immigration-and-residency-in-mauritius/residency-by-retirement/ 

“A Retired Non-Citizen can apply for an initial ten-year Residency Permit. The requirements are to make an initial transfer of at least USD1,500, or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency, at the time of issuance of the permit to his/her local bank account in Mauritius.

A Retired Non-Citizen Residence Permit holder is then required to transfer at least USD1,500 per month or at least USD18,000 per year on aggregate during the ten-year validity of the Residence Permit.”

Hits on your on your weather/beach requirements and after a quick look at cost of living online it seems reasonable, even cheap, for a single person.  Beautiful country too.

3 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

A wildcard entry:  Mauritius?  Immigration seems reasonable (to me at least):

https://www.sovereigngroup.com/mauritius/immigration-and-residency-in-mauritius/residency-by-retirement/ 

“A Retired Non-Citizen can apply for an initial ten-year Residency Permit. The requirements are to make an initial transfer of at least USD1,500, or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency, at the time of issuance of the permit to his/her local bank account in Mauritius.

A Retired Non-Citizen Residence Permit holder is then required to transfer at least USD1,500 per month or at least USD18,000 per year on aggregate during the ten-year validity of the Residence Permit.”

Hits on your on your weather/beach requirements and after a quick look at cost of living online it seems reasonable, even cheap, for a single person.  Beautiful country too.

Yes, that island was on my list.  But it's not top of the list because I am considering worst-case scenarios.  Suppose my online income dried up?  That would make a problem to afford even $1,500 each month to keep my residency permit... I'm trying to be ruthlessly realistic about the unknown future..

• Like 1