EU is expensive - everywhere!

simon43

11 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

If moving to Turkey  converting to Islam will be a Pro!

Good luck, or as they say Allahu Akbar or similar????

Turkish people are generally very good people.  Like any nation, they have their nutters.  But it's a great country to visit. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Turkish people are generally very good people.  Like any nation, they have their nutters.  But it's a great country to visit. 

Obviously you never been there before.

You should be aware to live there with millions of migrants, and every day coming more to the beaches.

But sure you can do many charity work and donate your Money in order to save lives.,????

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Obviously you never been there before.

You should be aware to live there with millions of migrants, and every day coming more to the beaches.

But sure you can do many charity work and donate your Money in order to save lives.,????

I've spent quite a bit of time there.  All over the country.  And in every surrounding country other than Syria.  Islands also. For extended periods of time.  I'm a traveler.

But yes, there is a problem with Syrian immigrants.  You can thank Bashar al-Assad for that.  His father was about as bad as he is.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 4:43 AM, simon43 said:

I started to look around for another country to move to.

About a month ago it seemed like you were moving back to Thailand to settle on an island, so you seems to have changed plans...????

2 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Northern Cyprus is not a recognised country and a lot of the land there is stolen. Perhaps that's why the rents are cheap.

All land everywhere was stolen at sometime from someone.

Hence the saying "Property is theft" (French anarchist Pierre-Joseph Proudhon 1840).

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

If moving to Turkey  converting to Islam will be a Pro!

Good luck, or as they say Allahu Akbar or similar????

I think you can count the number of Muslims living in Fethiye on the fingers of one hand... this sunny, seaside town is chockablock with aging Brits ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

About a month ago it seemed like you were moving back to Thailand to settle on an island, so you seems to have changed plans...????

Yes, Thailand was on my list.  But it lost points on my country comparison spreadsheet due to no pension agreement with the UK, costly visa and 90-day reports etc.  I compared about 10 different possible destinations against about 30 different factors (safety, cost of living, beaches etc etc), then totalled up the marks for each country to find the 'winner'. (A very scientific way of making a decision...)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

Northern Cyprus is not a recognised country and a lot of the land there is stolen. Perhaps that's why the rents are cheap.

The rents are cheaper because it's outside the EU. Look at the southern part of Cyprus (where lots of land was stolen by the Greek Cypriot community as well).  Rental prices are double the cost in the north, as are food/restaurant prices etc.  In fact, most destinations using the Euro are more expensive than non-EU countries, according to my research.

As far as Turkish North Cyprus is concerned, I was aware of course of the divisions.  But then I did a lot of historical research as well, and the facts were plain for me to see which side is the 'guilty party' in the sad division and past conflict on that island.

Edited by simon43

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

90-day reports

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

(A very scientific way of making a decision...)

how much inconvenience is maybe 1 hour a year worth? If you are into such infinitesimal calculations, you might want to be very wary of how many steps you are from a convenience store... is this your definition of science?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I am in the US right now, and the prices and inflation are mind blowing. The cheapest lunch we have found was $30 for two. That is 1,000 baht, anytime you want something basic. A bag of groceries is 3,000 baht.

A friend of mine is looking for an apartment to move to in LA, and really small, simple places are 70,000 baht per month. Nice two bedrooms are closer to 100,000 baht. Decent homes start at 125,000 baht per month. The cost of nearly everything has gone up dramatically. Runaway inflation? 

But what's your friends salary?

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 3:59 AM, Old Croc said:

I've seen plenty of Brits buying cheap properties in sunny Portugal on YouTube.

How about being able to actually stay there now brexit has happened ?

Do you not have a 180-day limit for UK nationals in the entire EU per year on tourist visas ?

Edit : Looks like it is even more arduous

90/180 days rule ...only 90 days allowed in 180 so no chance of getting a solid

180 days of the warmest part of the year.

90in/90out/90in/90out is the way it is done now..

Edited by freedomnow

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

He is doing well. But, the majority are really struggling to get by, with skyrocketing inflation. Homelessness is exploding, partly as a result. 

Well I don't live in the USA I live in OZ and I would never go back to Thailand just for example I lost every thing in Thailand and now back in OZ I just live on the pension since I lost my super annuation as well I get paid about $2500 every months (including rent assistance and electricity and other things)

my rent is only $480 for that period so what do I look for? I hail from Europe but lived most of  my live in OZ apart from the years in Thailand I am very happy

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 5:40 AM, TimBKK said:

A wildcard entry:  Mauritius?  Immigration seems reasonable (to me at least):

https://www.sovereigngroup.com/mauritius/immigration-and-residency-in-mauritius/residency-by-retirement/ 

“A Retired Non-Citizen can apply for an initial ten-year Residency Permit. The requirements are to make an initial transfer of at least USD1,500, or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency, at the time of issuance of the permit to his/her local bank account in Mauritius.

A Retired Non-Citizen Residence Permit holder is then required to transfer at least USD1,500 per month or at least USD18,000 per year on aggregate during the ten-year validity of the Residence Permit.”

Hits on your on your weather/beach requirements and after a quick look at cost of living online it seems reasonable, even cheap, for a single person.  Beautiful country too.

until it disappears under the waves.......

On 11/12/2021 at 5:10 AM, simon43 said:

I don't recall me outwearing my welcome in any previous country! 

I'm very welcome to stay in Laos, just don't do ham radio ????

I'm very welcome to stay in Myanmar, just don't do ham radio ????

I'm very welcome to stay in Thailand, but stay away from Phuket if you like your kneecaps!!

@johng, Thailand in general no longer appeals to me, especially the visa requirements etc.  Ham radio is allowed (I have a Thai ham licence), but it is still somewhat restricted.

TBH, after 20 years, I'm rather 'jaded' by south-east Asia.

Yes, there are properties available for $1 in EU countries, but the conditions require you to be young, young family etc, not old and decrepid...

@BritManToo, we've talked about this before.  Nowadays, I don't think availability of fast internet will be a problem almost anywhere, especially with Starlink coming online in many locations.  Right now, I wouldn't want to buy a property to renovate, because I'm not yet sure if the environment will suit my lifestyle - so many things seem to have changed in the EU!  Sadly, I can't test out that idea in the Pyrenees (where I used to live), because of the silly rental prices....

Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary. Many Brits moved to Hungary for cheap housing. Sunny, warm it is not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, Thailand was on my list.  But it lost points on my country comparison spreadsheet due to no pension agreement with the UK, costly visa and 90-day reports etc.  I compared about 10 different possible destinations against about 30 different factors (safety, cost of living, beaches etc etc), then totalled up the marks for each country to find the 'winner'. (A very scientific way of making a decision...)

Thanks for your reply, and you decision is..?

In my view the costs of living is still reasonable in Thailand - apart from that you Brits seem to have a problem with index on government retirement pension - and I think 90-day reports will find a solution soon; until then, when the website is working it's easy...????

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, simon43 said:

Since I'm single and since my income is derived online, I could literally consider almost any destination

Maybe I've been spoilt by the reasonable rental costs in south-east Asia, and the cheap availability of tasty and healthy food.

Finally, I identified 2 countries which offer a nice climate, beaches, low cost of living and reasonable rental costs >> Turkey and North Cyprus.

I'm still undecided which country will be my new home

Overall, if you're thinking of returning/moving to the EU from south-east Asia, the price differential may shock you!

Why don't you just move to Thailand ?

Prices here are still reasonable compared to the " 1st world " 

5 hours ago, Letseng said:

Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary. Many Brits moved to Hungary for cheap housing. Sunny, warm it is not.

All great options, except for the winters!!!  We loved Bulgaria, and Serbia.  But I could never handle the winters there.