Fees set for taxis hailed online: 60 baht minimum charge

webfact

How is Grab going to make money now?

Until now they took about the taxi meter rate, added their 25% fee to it and that was the price.

But now they can no longer add their fee to it because it's capped at about the taxi meter rate (at least the published numbers here look similar to the Bangkok taxi meter rate for me), the only way to do it now would to take the 25% from the driver, which would probably not be profitable for the driver anymore.

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So is my Bolt car home going to be more?

Looking like it.....

yes for a while it was cheaper than a MB taxi for a single person but 2 up I think it is still cheaper as the rip off MB taxi drivers charge double for 2x passengers 

• Like 2

About time they raised the fees.  Although if they continue there attempts to scam, I'll continue to use GRAB at every opportunity.  Or simply drive myself, until covid has subsided a bit, then use  public trans again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....    I’m happy to continue to use GRAB and BOLT and can’t be bothered flagging down taxi’s who half the time don’t want to go to my destination and rudely just drive off after I ask them, or because I speak Thai which means I’m not a tourist who can’t be scammed or want to charge 300 baht for an 80 baht ride - GRAB and BOLT remove the potential for the typical ‘Thai flookwittery’ and is just less hassle. 

That said: I would like to see the flag fall for all taxis raised - its been a long time since Taxi’s have had an increase along with inflation, they deserve more - but I doubt this would be sufficient incentive to improve their general level of ‘customer service’ (I use that term loosely). 

I agree, taxi flag fall and rate is criminally low, when ever I'm in Bkk, luckily rarely these days - I'm always happy to tip on top of the fare, and I always insist on the  meter- no meter, sorry no business from me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

The fees published here are cheaper than what Grab charges.

Indeed they are. I don't think Grab will be too upset about this. And if you use JustGrab or similar you are told your charge before you get in. They're still well priced and very convenient.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

Grab has been more expensive than Taximeter since a few years.

The fees published here are cheaper than what Grab charges.

I found Grab cheaper. The taximeters in Pattaya don't use the meter...they quote you a price and have a cover over the meter, and since they all did that, there wasn't much choice.

Before COVID, I had switched exclusively to Grab, and some of the drivers who used Grab service would recognize me even before I called, and give me the same rate. Recently, I've been using Bolt, so let's see what actually transpires pricewise!