Thai translation on FaceBook has returned!

Crossy

I noticed it's back, just 2-3 days ago. And it appears to be far, far better than before. It certainly couldn't have been worse. In the meantime, using the Brave browser I've been able to highlight the Thai and a little blue G appears and if I clicked on that I got a Google translation. And that was good too, although it was limited to only a smallish number of words. I don't know if that works on other browsers too, but now there's no need to try.

It's been back 3 or 4 days now.

Is it any good?  Good question!

Not being proficient in Thai, no idea on this important question.

On the other hand, Google Translate certainly gets it wrong a lot.

In the past, I'd take a translations from both, plus I have a web-link for 5 or so other translators.

Both FB and google does not do a good job of what I would call the "target or subject". i.e. I, you, them, we;  now, yesterday, future... makes  a real mess of it most of the time.

Many times, I will translate something from Thai, then take that exact translation, and translate back into Thai, then back to English... if it changes dramatically, I assume it's wrong.

A welcome return of this feature. With so many eCommerce sites now on FB this had been missed.

And you can rate the translation.

And when you click on "see more" it actually expands and doesn't jump to another topic (as when using right-click Google Chrome Translate).

Still would be nice if any expanded comments were also translated, as it is one needs to manually select translate for each subsequent comment.

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I noticed it's back, just 2-3 days ago. And it appears to be far, far better than before. It certainly couldn't have been worse. In the meantime, using the Brave browser I've been able to highlight the Thai and a little blue G appears and if I clicked on that I got a Google translation. And that was good too, although it was limited to only a smallish number of words. I don't know if that works on other browsers too, but now there's no need to try.

Nothing special or unique about FB translation.

Lifting from Google Translate leaves much to be desired, as it has a reputation for sucking.