Germany’s Fourth Covid Wave: ‘A Pandemic of the Unvaccinated’

Jeffr2

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/11/world/europe/germany-covid-unvaccinated.html

Germany’s Fourth Covid Wave: ‘A Pandemic of the Unvaccinated’

Germany once set an example for how to manage the coronavirus. Now, deep pockets of vaccine resistance are helping drive daily infections to new heights.

The University Hospital of Giessen, one of Germany’s foremost clinics for pulmonary disease, is at capacity. The number of Covid-19 patients has tripled in recent weeks. Nearly half of them are on ventilators.

And every single one is unvaccinated.

“I ask every patient: Why didn’t you get vaccinated?” said Dr. Susanne Herold, head of infectious diseases, after her daily round on the ward on Thursday. “It’s a mix of people who distrust the vaccine, distrust the state and are often difficult to reach by public information campaigns.”

• Haha 1

*Deleted post edited out*

Even right wing newspapers in the UK like the Telegraph reported 18 months ago (as soon as stats were available) that the issue is not only the death rate, but also the long covid rate (or what came later to be recognised as long covid). The NHS found that c 50% of patients discharged from hospital needed ongoing care and many continued to experience serious debilitaing effects even after they were no longer virus positive (ie long covid). Other research found that 50% of all cases result in long covid, I linked to that research a few days ago.

I note that in Austria this week it has been decided to lockdown people who have not been vaccinated. An unusual response admittedly!

One alternative approach in hindsight in the UK would have been to lockdown everyone over 60 and refuse to provide NHS services for people who decline to observe simple hygiene like masks and distancing. But I doubt even the Telegraph would have gone for that, especially as their base, like Johnson's, is heavily skewed towards the elderly who missed out on education!

Do you really believe covid is an "experimental emergency" ? That is QAnon territory.

• Haha 1

Not wishing to be disputatious, but the vaccines are not for "experimental" use, and no authority has ever claimed they are. And you need to familiarise yourself with what "emergency" use actually means regarding vaccines.

I assume by IFR, you mean the fatality rate (ie mortality/death rate). As I've pointed out even the right wing Telegraph acknowledges that the fatality rate is not the only issue, it's also the long covid rate (very high as indicated), and even more importantly the overloading of the NHS which you may remember was even Johnson's rallying cry last year.

I'll also add that prior to the vaccine rollout in the UK, Johnson's bungled response resulted in the UK achieveing the 3rd worst covid fatalities per 100,000 population in the world, as evidenced by John Hopkins, possibly the most comprehensive an reliable sours of international stats about this pandemic.

PS "An Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) is a mechanism to facilitate the availability and use of medical countermeasures, including vaccines, during public health emergencies, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic." FDA.

2 hours ago, blackprince said:

Not wishing to be disputatious, but the vaccines are not for "experimental" use, and no authority has ever claimed they are. And you need to familiarise yourself with what "emergency" use actually means regarding vaccines.

Here is the source from pfizer itself : 

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 05:45pm
  • Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) is supported by clinical data showing a favorable safety profile and high vaccine efficacy of 90.7% in children 5 through 11 years of age during a period when Delta was the prevalent strain
  • With this authorization, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is currently the only COVID-19 vaccine available in the U.S. for use in this age group
  • FDA action represents an important milestone with the potential to help protect millions of school-aged children from COVID-19 infection

25 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

• Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) is supported by clinical data showing a favorable safety profile and high vaccine efficacy of 90.7% in children 5 through 11 years of age during a period when Delta was the prevalent strain
  • With this authorization, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is currently the only COVID-19 vaccine available in the U.S. for use in this age group
  • FDA action represents an important milestone with the potential to help protect millions of school-aged children from COVID-19 infection

Emergency Use Authorization and being experimental are two very different things.   Pfizer is fully authorized for use in adults.  

Death is not the only negative outcome from Covid.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

It's all conditional in the EU, with yearly follow up's no full athorisation here info from the EMA : LINK (this is for pfizer, there are similar ones for the others)

Similar "emergency use only" authorisations have been given by the american counterpart the FDA.

The final full authorisation can only be given somewhere in 2023. 

Sadly protection is not the only outcome from the vaccine(s), no medical procedures or medicines are without side effects or dangers. Per person one has to make an informed decision and not be "pushed" or even forced indirectly by public opinion, governments or media. Yes the vaccines work, yes there is covid, but no the vaccines don't stop you from getting or spreading covid and they do lose their effectiveness slowly over time till you need a booster. It's not a wonder of modern medicine like it was sold to us "2 jabs and you are immune" sadly. 

C19 is a seasonal virus, there has never been a succesfull 1/2 jab vaccine for a virus like this, it's endemic and if you are in the risk groups you could be having a seasonal vaccin probably once per year. If  you are not in a risk group, then you don't neccesarily need the vaccine. Since it doesn't stop you from spreading the virus, you don't have to take it "for other people".

Again before someone reads me wrong : The virus is there, for some people it IS dangerous, for others not so much. The vaccine works but has limitations and it doesn't stop you from giving the virus to someone else. I fully support elderly and frail getting the vaccine. I fully not support giving it to teenagers or even young children that have a -much- smaller risk of covid than getting a serious complication from the vaccine like myorcarditis. 

Thank you for reading.

Pfizer has full approval from the FDA. No emergency use authorization now.

You are at odds with all medical experts who recommend jabs for teens. Smaller risk for sure. But super spreaders for sure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

2. Germany reduced the intensive care unit beds since July 2021 despite of knowing the numbers would rise in autumn.

Actually, the reduction you're referring to only take place after Germany had massively increased the number of ICU beds in the previous wave of the pandemic. Germany actually has one of the highest rates of ICU beds in the world. Here's an FT article from April 13, 2020

Oversupply of hospital beds helps Germany to fight virus
"At the outset of the pandemic, Germany had 28,000 intensive care beds, more than most of its neighbouring countries. In recent days that has been raised to 40,000, as hospitals brace themselves for a huge influx of patients with Covid-19.  “In contrast to Spain, France and Italy, we have a very high density of hospitals and beds, and this has emerged as a big advantage in this crisis,” said Uwe Janssens, head of the German Interdisciplinary Association for Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine (DIVI).

Chart showing the number of acute care hospital beds per 1,000 people in selected countries

https://www.ft.com/content/d979c0e9-4806-4852-a49a-bbffa9cecfe6

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

1. Germany never was an example of how to manage the corona crisis.

2. Germany reduced the intensive care unit beds since July 2021 despite of knowing the numbers would rise in autumn.

3. Germany is not even able to provide exact vaccination rates. The published numbers are at a guess.

4. Germany's hospitals never were and are not overloaded due to Covid. Right now, 13 (THIRTEEN!) percent of the intense care beds are used for Covid patients.

What a BS! This may be so in ONE hospital. Fact is, the part of fully vaccinated people is increasing everywhere.

One of the homes for elderly where we provide medical service (Bavaria) had an outbreak two weeks ago. 25 from 31 infected. Everyone of them double vaxxed, 5 of them with additional booster. 3 were taken to intense care, one died.

The "pandemic of the unvaccinated" is a political marketing cry to boost vaccination and devide the society even more. 

If one wants an example how to manage the crisis without falling into hysteria and damaging economy, education and social life: have a look at Sweden.

And before the usual isnults start:

I am triple vaxxed, I'm pro vaccination, my staff works at the frontline of the crisis and I work with Covid since the first day of the outbrake.

You're way off base.  Misrepresenting the facts big time.  I seriously doubt you are working the frontline. NO way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posting false or misleading information will earn suspensions.  

Here's an update on the situation for ICU beds in Germany as of Nov. 16:

Some intensive care units are already full, while other hospitals are having to cancel planned operations in order to divert staff to critical wards. 

The latest data shows about 14 percent of intensive care beds are still available nationwide. And in 33 districts not a single bed is free. In some regions, more than 50 percent of the beds in ICUs are occupied by Covid-19 patients, illustrating why medical staff have been raising the alarm.

https://www.thelocal.de/20211116/covid-surge-the-german-districts-running-out-of-intensive-care-beds/

• Like 2

Here's a couple of relevant links. The first includes a detailed breakdown of uccupancy of ICU beds for German health disctricts.

The second seeks to explain the surges across Europe in general.

https://www.thelocal.de/20211116/covid-surge-the-german-districts-running-out-of-intensive-care-beds/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/13/why-is-europe-returning-to-the-dark-days-of-covid

Edited by blackprince
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, blackprince said:

Here's a couple of relevant links. The first includes a detailed breakdown of uccupancy of ICU beds for German health disctricts.

The second seeks to explain the surges across Europe in general.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/13/why-is-europe-returning-to-the-dark-days-of-covid

From the Guardian link:

But experts agree that a combination of low vaccine uptake, waning immunity among people inoculated early, and growing complacency about masks and distancing after governments relaxed curbs over the summer is the most likely cause.

“We’ve returned to the dark days of the pandemic,” the head of one of the city’s intensive care units said last week after a boom in hospital admissions, 90% of whom were unvaccinated and most directly linked to protests.

Edited by Jeffr2

16 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

If one wants an example how to manage the crisis without falling into hysteria and damaging economy, education and social life: have a look at Sweden.

And before the usual isnults start:

I am triple vaxxed, I'm pro vaccination, my staff works at the frontline of the crisis and I work with Covid since the first day of the outbrake.

Yes, Sweden provides a very useful comparison precisely because its approach was so different from everyone else's in Europe. I haven't followed the recent trends in Sweden, but I looked into this quite a lot about 15 months ago because many people in the UK were advocating "herd immunity" and using Sweden as an example.

I couldn't actually agree with the British advocates of "herd immunity" because (1) Swedish culture is very different from British, I'd summarise it as "more sensible"! (2) population density is much lower in Sweden (3) working from home is very common in Sweden and was before the pandemic too, much more common than in the UK (4) Swden did have covid social rules, albeit much more relaxed than elsewhere.

So I found the comparison with the UK to be misguided. However I did compare Sweden with other Nordics, and its covid success rate 15 months ago was not as  good as the other Nordics. On the other hand its economy and society was less damaged, as you rightly say.

As for Bavaria, quite possibly my favourite spot on the planet!

Anyway, good luck on the front line of covid. It's very rare to get an opinion from the front line. Cheers

• Like 2

Further to my previous post about Sweden:

Re GDP:

“About 0.6% up (from before pandemic) which puts Sweden at the front of the pack in European terms,” David Oxley, an economist at Capital Economics, told Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/sweden-gdp-idUSL8N2P53EZ

Re Mortality rate since the beginning of the pandemic:

Sweden has performed substantially better than the US and UK, but worse than Germany.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 11:24 AM, WhatsNext said:

That's the case for children. Not the case with adults.