HSBC banking

I have held a basic account in the UK for over 20 years, and since coming to Thailand I have used online banking to access my account. I have a little keypad that enables me to put in a 6 digit code everytime. However I recently tried to buy something online and a OTP was supposedly sent to my phone, I didn't receive it, so I thought OK, lets try the mobile HSBC app.     Downloaaded it and tried to login, got all sorts of questions and wasn't diligent enough to remember my answers, so when I went back to online banking it told me I had'nt completed my secure digital key activation. OK so back to the mobile app and lo and behold I couldn't login because they couldn't verify my details, I mean <deleted>,birthdate, account No, sort code card No, what else do they need. Tried to reset my secure digital key and I got the secure questions wrong, like what is ur favourite town <deleted>. 

Now I am being warned that too many failed attempts will mean they will lock me out of both online and mobile banking which is exactly what happened.

So nothing else for it but to phone them in the UK, of course u are confronted with question after question before u eventually get a human being, who then tells me he's working from home and the connection is <deleted> and eventually he disconnects after 20 minutes and 800 baht on my phone. I try again this time to headquarters in Coventry and fairly quickly get a human, he doesn't ask me question after question and he says finally he will send the 'Telephone Security Number' which I have never heard of, by post, I say why not email it, they can't. I explain that post from UK takes a month and he says then go into HSBC branch. HSBC Thailand stopped dealing with personal accounts 10 years ago.

So now if I do eventually get this letter with that <deleted> number I have to phone the UK again and ask them to unlock my account, or at least that is my best hope.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Robin said:

A friend of mine in UK gave up with his HSBC account since every phon call to them was routed to a call centre in India.  You will be lucky if you can speak to any human being in UK.

Why does the physical location )or nationality) of someone on the other end of the phone matter if they're providing the service that is being asked for?   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

I have an HSBC card and when I added an app at the time it was quite complicated to get it connected to my  account. It seemed like I had to go back and forward for proof between the app and online and only one could be on at a time.  I deleted it and just use the online account. 

A tip for call centres is to call about 8am  in the country of your account. They tend to have a lot of staff  on call, regardless of where the call centre is, but not that many customers call at that time. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

HSBC is one of the worst bank ever,

they had an habit of losing international transfer because of a software bug in their system that took 6 months to fix

and if you didn't notice, they will not send back the funds

they have been found in violations of every rules in the compliance book, no wonder they got blacklisted by US authorities and liable to big fines

they are incompetent, and possibly borderline criminal, don't see any other explanation for acting like they do ????

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks for both the help and critcism, I was very upset and distraught that a mobile app could mess with my online banking, and that is not my fault, it is the fault of HSBC for not having a foolproof security system that doesn't allow for people to make an innocent mistake.

I used to work in software support and the essence of our applications ( in this case it was patient care in hospitals ) was that any errors made by the nurses input wasn't catastrophic.

HSBC and their inept security has allowed me to fall down a hole, which fortunately I can survive financially for 9 months or so, but they will get a stern talking to once I am back in.

• Like 2

HSBC are not going to send a letter to me 'Recorded Delivery' are they, even the Pin for my Visa card comes in regular post, one time so late it had to be replaced.

I have had difficulties with HSBC before when I was using Bangkok Bank for transfers and they sent it to an intermediate bank and I got charged twice in bank charges.  I complained bitterly and got it all refunded.

Just two points.

1) I received a replacement bank card from them via DHL.

2) You can contact them online using Live Chat on their web site.

This way you save money on phone calls; language barriers and get instant helpful results to your questions.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

Just two points.

1) I received a replacement bank card from them via DHL.

2) You can contact them online using Live Chat on their web site.

This way you save money on phone calls; language barriers and get instant helpful results to your questions.

Hope this helps.

Do you not understand, I am locked out of mobile and online banking, I cannot talk on Chat, you have to login first.

• Like 1

Your telephone banking security number is a 6 to 10 digit number that only you will know. It is what we use to verify you if you call us. You may have been asked to set this up at the time you opened your account

I assume people use old telephone numbers that are only known to them 

I have never heard of a telephone security number until I encountered this problem with my account a few days ago. That number is supposedly given to you when you set up online banking. I had online banking 20 years ago roughly, maybe less, but anyway I was never given a telephone security number and now I am having to go through all this boll  ucks to get one, and that is only the beginning.

If I am honest, I don't think online banking existed when I set up my HSBC account.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Your telephone banking security number is a 6 to 10 digit number that only you will know. It is what we use to verify you if you call us. You may have been asked to set this up at the time you opened your account

I assume people use old telephone numbers that are only known to them 

How can you use an old telephone number if it is a a 6 to 10 digit number that is given to you by HSBC?

5 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

How can you use an old telephone number if it is a a 6 to 10 digit number that is given to you by HSBC?

Its a 6-10 digit number that you would have created I suspect most people use a old telephone number that is easy for them to remember as anyone would be daft if they used their pin code twice

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Its a 6-10 digit number that you would have created I suspect most people use a old telephone number that is easy for them to remember as anyone would be daft if they used their pin code twice

I suspect most use their date of birth, as 6 or 8 digit.Unlikely to ever forget that one ????

I am sorry but I am confused, the last thing this help desk guy said to me was they can post it to me, and I complained how long that would take, or I can go to a HSBC branch, which of course in Thailand is 900 kilometres away in Bangkok, so when I said email it, he said they can't, so I opted for post. 

If that isn't the case and I have to create one then what are they sending me, if anything?

1 minute ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I am sorry but I am confused, the last thing this help desk guy said to me was they can post it to me, and I complained how long that would take, or I can go to a HSBC branch, which of course in Thailand is 900 kilometres away in Bangkok, so when I said email it, he said they can't, so I opted for post. 

If that isn't the case and I have to create one then what are they sending me, if anything?

Probably a temporary access code which you then change to your choice once you have accessed the site cirrectly.

3 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I suspect they are sending you the one that they currently have for your account

29 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Your telephone banking security number is a 6 to 10 digit number that only you will know. It is what we use to verify you if you call us.

This is what you said earlier.  If only I know that number, then how on earth can you verify it?

Edited by OneeyedJohn