HSBC banking

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Thanks for both the help and critcism, I was very upset and distraught that a mobile app could mess with my online banking, and that is not my fault, it is the fault of HSBC for not having a foolproof security system that doesn't allow for people to make an innocent mistake.

I used to work in software support and the essence of our applications ( in this case it was patient care in hospitals ) was that any errors made by the nurses input wasn't catastrophic.

HSBC and their inept security has allowed me to fall down a hole, which fortunately I can survive financially for 9 months or so, but they will get a stern talking to once I am back in.

the victim blaming is being laid on a bit thick isn't it? I've needed to reset my online banking credentials a couple of times with Aussie banks because for the life of me I couldn't remember the pin I created. thankfully they made it relatively easy to do the reset over the phone. 

good luck with your issue, I hope HSBC come good in the end. 

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

HSBC is one of the worst bank ever,

they had an habit of losing international transfer because of a software bug in their system that took 6 months to fix

and if you didn't notice, they will not send back the funds.

Interesting. 

My UK bank tasked HSBC in October to transfer some money to my Thai bank account.  Over two weeks on, the money has yet to arrive, while HSBC has failed to respond to a series of SWIFT messages from my bank.  Search now in progress for a UK-based human being at HSBC capable of resolving the problem.  

Q: Were you able to locate a telephone number that led to direct contact with someone in HSBC's UK offices?

(The  "HSBC Switchboard" number 0207-991-8888 leads to the Indian call centre, which was unable to help). 

Thanks from a fellow sufferer!                                                       

Edited by yang123
Typo
  • Like 1

I totally forgot about the cheap international calls, for Dtac is 00400 at 6 or 7 baht a minute, so that will make a huge difference. At the time I so distraught over this HSBC mess I wasn't thinking right. Just threw a couple of 500's on the phone and dialled.

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I totally forgot about the cheap international calls, for Dtac is 00400 at 6 or 7 baht a minute, so that will make a huge difference. At the time I so distraught over this HSBC mess I wasn't thinking right. Just threw a couple of 500's on the phone and dialled.

I was using DTAC and their 004 prefix code to call to the UK from Thailand at 7bht per minute until i was made aware of www.mytello.com. They charge 0.3 bht to a UK landline and 0.5bht to a UK mobile plus DTAC charge 1bht per minute.

I've never looked back, their service is excellent have a lookie......  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

You bank with Coutts or Childs banks which are now a part of Natwest?

Neither:  feel free to have another go!  Bonus points if you can provide the name and a live UK telephone number for someone in HSBC's SWIFT transfer department.  

• Haha 1

I also have had issues with HSBC bank in the UK but have to say once i contacted them by phone a lovely English lady who could'nt have been more helpful resolved my problem (a Swift transfer i instigated did'nt arrive in my BB account)

After the call the transfer was effected the following day but no explanation why there was a problem, i guess it just got lost in the system.

Good luck to the OP in getting the problem resolved.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

So now if I do eventually get this letter with that <deleted> number I have to phone the UK again and ask them to unlock my account, or at least that is my best hope.,

You WILL get that letter and whoever will open it for you will give you the info/codes etc and as posters have suggested, I especially liked the last post 'mytello' one, ..................................you can give them a call back at lttle cost to yourself and get it all sorted.......job done....................................

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Better to set up a new banking relationship than to continue playing with HSBC.

Now i have considered doing just that but i imagined you would have to appear in person to open a new account and i live permanently in Thailand and have not been back to the UK in 11 years and have little intention of doing so.

20 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Do you not understand, I am locked out of mobile and online banking, I cannot talk on Chat, you have to login first.

Hey Grumpy, you can still access their "Chat" facility without logging on.

Just go to their web page.

Not sure if after you click this they require you to provide further personal info, just an idea.

But I do hope you get it resolved as I know how frustrating living here and banking in the UK is.

I was originally with Midland bank, who got taken over by HSBC.

Lived here since 1980 and trying to make contact with my bank in the UK, using the telephone exchange in Pattaya used to be a nightmare.

Good luck.

Edited by kidneyw

21 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

HSBC is one of the worst bank ever

I've banked with HSBC Singapore the last 20 years, having previously been with Lloyds I can assure you HSBC are certainly not the worst bank ever.

• Like 2

I had the same problem with another bank from abroad, the OTPs stopped coming so I had to change my registered Thai number to a foreign one. It seems Thailand is blocking these SMS messages if you receive them to Thai numbers.

Edited by falang07

I have had numerous issues over the years with HSBC, the most egregious was when seven thousand pounds was illegally transferred from my account in an "identity theft" situation. It was fortuitous that I discovered what had happened timeously, but the Indian gals in Jaipur, however polite, were not much use. They are extremely constrained with how they can interact on a client's account.

Finally, I was able to speak to a security individual (in the UK, I think), who was helpful and explained why and how the funds were allowed to be released. It was so simple that I was flabbergasted that HSBC would have acted on such false instructions from the perp, without going through a proper verification.

The transaction was reversed, but it was an enormously stressful event for me. When I tasked HSBC with the matter at a senior level, they took no responsibility, insisting that there must have been a lapse or breach in my personal banking security information. (I live alone, so next to impossible).

When I put to them what their own security agent had explained to me regarding the circumstances, HSBC denied the truth of it!

• Haha 1

I had very similar problems with HSBC and spent a lot of money on phone calls.

Getting very frustrated as I got nowhere.

So I found Mytello a phone call app, it works out very cheap to UK landlines about one third of one baht per minute plus a local AIS charge. Using the app you do not have to worry about the charges. Yes you are routed to different countries but eventually I got things sorted but still get a bit confused when I need my phone app to give me a code to log onto the laptop. But it is best to keep all your details like first car, first school etc written down for when things go wrong. If you can't recall all your details on the phone call you may have to do a bit of arm twisting, Good Luck.

No problems what soever with HSBC. My debit card was very late arriving and so I cancelled and got a new one sent that took 6 weeks and of course the cancelled one arrived in between, but that was not the banks fault. Setup my wifes telephone banking by telephone and had security questions asked about how long had the account been opened, had we other accounts and what was the last transaction obviously gave good enough answers as all accounts unlocked and everything set up in no time. The call centre had long waiting lists but was put through straight away when pressed the button that said I had money problems. New card arrived, telephone app opened in minutes.

• Like 1

A tip for those using UK banks while here. Set up and enable on your device and their app ,fingerprint id. It bypasses most security and access OTP codes and special customer numbers. Even works when doing an online purchase which the bank wants to verify before authorising - it just sends a message to the app which you quickly agree is yours by entering your fingerprint and you’re never reliant on your phone 

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would you say that when normal delivery times for recorded/signed for Royal Mail to Thailand is about 5 days?

BS, I waited 2 months for some mail sent from Europe to Thailand. And it wasn't due to the European mail ????

• Sad 1

Like the earlier poster I have all such items encrypted on my pc

on checking my HSBC stuff I too have the Telephone Banking Security Password (indeed derived from an old phone #) Set up some two decades or so ago & never used

Can see now how lack of retention of these old & seemingly irrelevant items can rear up to bite as you fall down the likes of the OP's rabbit hole clutching for roots and vines to grab on to.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

So now if I do eventually get this letter with that <deleted> number I have to phone the UK again and ask them to unlock my account, or at least that is my best hope.

I have been with HSBC since they were Midland and never had any problem. I all that time I think I have only phoned them once to deal with a fraudulent transaction and I did that on Skype. Have you tried the help tool?

https://www.askus.hsbc.co.uk/counter-service/helptool/support.htm

Generally HSBC service is very good, they only charge £4 for a transfer to Thailand. In the last year I have raised 2 chargebacks and they have paid into my account immediately before any investigation.

The most recent was only a couple of weeks ago, against Agoda, I had to book 15 days quarantine for COE but only had to do 7 days when I arrived early Oct. Agoda only refunded half of what they should have, but HSBC sorted it.

• Like 1