HSBC banking

• 1 month later...

Update:  no letter in the post from HSBC, which means the guy who promised it would come was just paying me lip service.

Not impressed by that one bit.

So I had a friend come and help me, who kept me on a tight leash when we phoned the bank.  We actually got through pretty quickly, got asked a ton of questions, gave answers as best I could, and eventually got access to my account. It probably took one hour plus on the phone with this very helpful guy thank God.

Apparently having the mobile app is essential to have access to online banking. Not impressed by that either.

On 1/9/2022 at 4:51 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Apparently having the mobile app is essential to have access to online banking.

With HSBC?!

I use online banking with HSBC but I've not signed up for the app, I've stayed with my security device, so far I've not had a problem. 

I didn't have a problem with online banking using my keypad, until I tried to use mobile banking and got some answers to all their security questions wrong, and then eventually getting locked out from both systems - online /mobile. 

Getting around that meant I had to use the mobile app to get a digital secure key to access online banking. No other way, forget the keypad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

until I tried to use mobile banking

OK, that's not something I'm about to do in a hurry. HSBC is where I keep my  investments and cash, I don't do my day to day banking through HSBC. My Kasikorn account is day to day banking and for that I use the mobile app. So if the phone is lost or compromised it's only potentially a minor financial loss. Ditto in the UK I have one bank accessible online only, whilst day to day banking is with a different bank which is via the mobile app.

On 1/12/2022 at 8:32 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I didn't have a problem with online banking using my keypad, until I tried to use mobile banking and got some answers to all their security questions wrong, and then eventually getting locked out from both systems - online /mobile. 

Getting around that meant I had to use the mobile app to get a digital secure key to access online banking. No other way, forget the keypad.

I started using the HSBC app rather than the website when I switched to the digital secure key from the old "calculator" type key device. Using the HSBC app is much easier if your phone has a fingerprint scanner. I can log in to the app via my fingerprint without using the digital key. The only time I need to use the digital key is the first time I try to log in to the app after an update or a reboot of the phone where I am prompted to enter the digital key password. Using the biometrics instead of the secure digital key is my choice but I can revert back to using the secure key only at any time. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng

8 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

My phone is only a Redmi Note 8, doesn't have fingerprint or face scan

????

Redmi Note has had fingerprint scanners since Redmi Note *3*. Yours certainly has one, if you stated the make and model correctly. You can also set up face recognition on it, if you're into that.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone any update info on HSBC's attitude towards UK account holders living in Thailand ? If i were to advise them of a change of address from the UK to Thailand would they allow that or close my account.

Also if they permit living in Thailand as opposed to being a UK resident would they send replacement cards/secure key to my address in Thailand.

TIA

9 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Has anyone any update info on HSBC's attitude towards UK account holders living in Thailand ? If i were to advise them of a change of address from the UK to Thailand would they allow that or close my account.

Also if they permit living in Thailand as opposed to being a UK resident would they send replacement cards/secure key to my address in Thailand.

TIA

If you don't maintain a UK address they may close your account. I've been here over 20 years and am still able to keep by HSBC UK account but only because I own property in the UK which I use as a primary address. It used to be that they didn't mind me living in Thailand and indeed they would send me a secure key and ATM cards here. That changed a few years ago when I had to go through their telephone interview to confirm the course of my wealth and go into detail about my lifestyle.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

TIA

Some years ago I had an interview with HSBC on this issue.

The first point is discretional on the local manager. Mine was allowed on the basis that the account was active and where pension was paid. I was advised that coud change in the future.

On the second point I was told they would not send cards to Thailand. I was told i would have to collect it from the branch and end of last year that was a real pain. It was supposed to be Sheffield branch but when my son went to collect it, they didn't have it, turned out it had been sent to Chesterfield. They were told to hang on to it but when my son went they had sent it to Sheffield. 

Did get it on 3rd attempt and HSBC gave me £100 for the inconvenience.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Some years ago I had an interview with HSBC on this issue.

The first point is discretional on the local manager. Mine was allowed on the basis that the account was active and where pension was paid. I was advised that coud change in the future.

On the second point I was told they would not send cards to Thailand. I was told i would have to collect it from the branch and end of last year that was a real pain. It was supposed to be Sheffield branch but when my son went to collect it, they didn't have it, turned out it had been sent to Chesterfield. They were told to hang on to it but when my son went they had sent it to Sheffield. 

Did get it on 3rd attempt and HSBC gave me £100 for the inconvenience.

i'm surprised they allowed your son to collect.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:01 PM, Robin said:

A friend of mine in UK gave up with his HSBC account since every phon call to them was routed to a call centre in India.  You will be lucky if you can speak to any human being in UK.

same for me always person in INDIA whose english I not understand !!!!

total crap is H S B C

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blackshadow said:

india koz i always ask where are they speaking from......

sometimes the Phils which is ok koz they speak reasonable English !!!!

My ex worked for HSBC at head office in London, I recall many years back a team was sent to Malaysia to train folk up, obviously a money saving venture to reduce staff in London...  

21 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

TIA

I have lived in Thailand full time since 2009. I have an HSBC account and don't have a UK address (since 2015). I actually changed my address via online banking to my Thai address around 2012. New credit/debit cards are sent to my Thai address as the old ones expire. I can still operate my account as normal with no problems whatsoever. HSBC internet banking & phone app work fine here. Some other banks are closing accounts with non-UK addresses and HSBC may follow suit. Who knows what the future holds?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I have lived in Thailand full time since 2009. I have an HSBC account and don't have a UK address (since 2015). I actually changed my address via online banking to my Thai address around 2012. New credit/debit cards are sent to my Thai address as the old ones expire. I can still operate my account as normal with no problems whatsoever. HSBC internet banking & phone app work fine here. Some other banks are closing accounts with non-UK addresses and HSBC may follow suit. Who knows what the future holds?

Thanks for your post. Interesting to say the least but i live in fear of advising HSBC by way of online banking that my address is in Thailand to then be told that the account has to be closed as i'm not a UK resident. 

You mention ''HSBC internet banking and phone app work fine here in Thailand'' but i understand you can't have both and the phone app is difficult to set up, i'm not very good with anything com techy so always avoid phone apps because of the setup and small phone screen.

I also understand that once you commence the phone app setup there's no going back to online setup, its cancelled even if you don't succeed in setting up the phone app, now thats a real problem.  

3 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for your post. Interesting to say the least but i live in fear of advising HSBC by way of online banking that my address is in Thailand to then be told that the account has to be closed as i'm not a UK resident. 

You mention ''HSBC internet banking and phone app work fine here in Thailand'' but i understand you can't have both and the phone app is difficult to set up, i'm not very good with anything com techy so always avoid phone apps because of the setup and small phone screen.

I also understand that once you commence the phone app setup there's no going back to online setup, its cancelled even if you don't succeed in setting up the phone app, now thats a real problem.  

I have both HSBC internet and their phone app, they work fine together. It won't let you use both at the same time (of course) but they co-exist well. The phone app is a good replacement for the smart key and can generate codes needed for online.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I have both HSBC internet and their phone app, they work fine together. It won't let you use both at the same time (of course) but they co-exist well. The phone app is a good replacement for the smart key and can generate codes needed for online.

Thankyou great info, so i could attempt the phone app and if unsuccessful (com dino here) revert back to the online/internet with no problems. I too share your comment regarding the replacement for the smart key, the battery does'nt last forever.  

26 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Before I changed my address to my Thai address, I asked a question via online banking. I told them I was thinking of moving to Thailand permanently and asked if I could still operate my account and credit/debit cards with a foreign address. After HSBC confirmed that I could use my account & cards as normal, I changed to my Thai address, even though I had ALREADY moved to Thailand permanently.

I did receive an lndividual Tax Residency Self-Certification Form to complete from HSBC. I had to declare my country of residence and disclose my Thai Taxpayer ldentification Number. I don't have a TIN so I replied saying that my visa (extension) prohibited any kind of work and had no Thailand income, so I didn't have/need a TIN. This was accepted by HSBC.

I didn't encounter any problems setting up the HSBC app, including the digital secure key. You can also enable biometrics to log into the app (assuming you have a compatible phone).

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I also have both and as you say no problems.

There must be some limitations on transactions but you can have both open at the same time.

Only yesterday I was in the online banking and made a payment by card which I approved on the app,

Yes the app is certainly a much better option than the mini keypad. Fortunately I was in the UK when the battery went for the second time on my keypad.   First time the lady in the branch set up the new one but on the second I was just handed a pack. When I got back to my son's and opened it, there was no instructions.  My son said why mess about with that and showed me how he got the login code. I am not a fan of phone apps but took it on board and never looked back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thankyou great info, so i could attempt the phone app and if unsuccessful (com dino here) revert back to the online/internet with no problems. I too share your comment regarding the replacement for the smart key, the battery does'nt last forever.  

The HSBC phone app is very simple and easy to use. I was nervous about using banking phone apps but after a year of using them for both UK and Thai banks, they are a god send.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Before I changed my address to my Thai address, I asked a question via online banking. I told them I was thinking of moving to Thailand permanently and asked if I could still operate my account and credit/debit cards with a foreign address. After HSBC confirmed that I could use my account & cards as normal, I changed to my Thai address, even though I had ALREADY moved to Thailand permanently.

I did receive an lndividual Tax Residency Self-Certification Form to complete from HSBC. I had to declare my country of residence and disclose my Thai Taxpayer ldentification Number. I don't have a TIN so I replied saying that my visa (extension) prohibited any kind of work and had no Thailand income, so I didn't have/need a TIN. This was accepted by HSBC.

I didn't encounter any problems setting up the HSBC app, including the digital secure key. Once enabled, you can also use biometrics to log into the app (assuming you have a compatible phone).

Great info, thanks. I note you did the address changeover in 2012, i wonder if that policy of allowing account holders to not be a UK resident has changed ?