I Love Living in Thailand

Mike Teavee

57 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I find comments like this ridiculous.

I had a good life in Thailand exactly because I didn't ignore the negative comments. From ripoff scams to the women I dated. 

And for the record no one chooses to make bad choices. To most people they just happen. Sometimes it's bad luck and sometimes it's lack of knowledge. 

BTW has anyone told Mike that his post is very original? I think having a thread twice a month about how Thailand is great and how it sucks living back home is really not enough.

Also has anyone told Mike that he is still paying covid prices for his resort? Or that he is living at the time where there are virtually no tourists? When the price of resort goes up to 100 pounds and beaches and cities are overrun by Chinese again, will his mind change?

Personally I enjoyed Thailand with a lot of tourists, even Chinese.  I must be in the overwhelming minority regarding this, but Thailand is a tourist destination. Begpackers, sexpats and dotards make Thailand what it is. The last 2 years really changed my mind about the country especially the government. They really hate their own people and they didn't use any money they collected from tourists in decades to even help a little.

Disgusting place. 

Signed, 

Pravda, the hater 

If course criticism is ok and necessary. Spreading bitterness, hate and bad jokes is not and this is what we see too often here. It comes probably from people having problems living in Thailand for whatever reason. The call then people getting along well and being happy in Thailand “dumb”. Why? Envy?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Also has anyone told Mike that he is still paying covid prices for his resort? Or that he is living at the time where there are virtually no tourists? When the price of resort goes up to 100 pounds and beaches and cities are overrun by Chinese again, will his mind change?

Actually this is the most I’ve paid for a room here (including pre-COVID, 1st stayed here in 2018) as the resort is very popular with Thais so only had the “Superior” rooms available.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Actually this is the most I’ve paid for a room here (including pre-COVID, 1st stayed here in 2018) as the resort is very popular with Thais so only had the “Superior” rooms available.

Just off the top of my head as I used to stay in hotels a lot before covid (before I lost my privileges). Pre covid price in Bangkok hotel like Hilton, holiday inn, Marriott etc.... $150. Covid prices around $40. They are now treading higher due to some tourist arrivals.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Once you have a long term visa sorted out I don't get why you'd say its getting harder to stay here.  What is so hard about renewing your visa extension each year?

I dunno. How does colinneil do it?

I really do wonder.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Just off the top of my head as I used to stay in hotels a lot before covid (before I lost my privileges). Pre covid price in Bangkok hotel like Hilton, holiday inn, Marriott etc.... $150. Covid prices around $40. They are now treading higher due to some tourist arrivals.

Same with rentals, I’m in my new place (Wongamat) for 1/2 what it was renting out for before COVID & I’ve no doubt the prices will move back to that kind of level when people return BUT I rented my 1st Condo (Bangkok) pre-COVID so built my budget around “Normal” pricing so hopefully won’t come as too much of a shock when prices do rise. 

1 hour ago, Pravda said:
3 hours ago, davemax49 said:

Just ignore all the negative comments about living here. People are upset about there their own personal lives and their bad choices that they made.

I find comments like this ridiculous.

No one chooses to make bad choices. To most people they just happen. Sometimes it's bad luck and sometimes it's lack of knowledge. 

Is it ridiculous? Where's the lie tho?

3 hours ago, davemax49 said:

I have been here for 8 years,  Never been back home since.

Will not live anywhere else, Thailand is my home,  it's a great place to live.

Just ignore all the negative comments about living here.   People are upset about there their own pesonnel lives and their bad choices that they made.

Enjoy your rest of your time here!

same same for me its for the long haul..

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

If you legally work here, no problem.

If you are retired and have a little money in the bank, no problem.

And if anybody complains about 90 days reporting or things like that. Just do it! It takes a couple of hours for the whole year to do what is necessary to stay in Thailand. It's easy. The only thing which makes it bad is permanently thinking about it and complaining about it.

Does the fact that retirees in Thailand are getting the same treatment that normal countries give to prisoners on parole, with this reporting to people?

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I've lived here 13 years and as my investments make me more money each year, staying here has been getting easier.  
Bangkok is also getting more modern and becoming a nicer place to live. 

Once you have a long term visa sorted out I don't get why you'd say its getting harder to stay here.  What is so hard about renewing your visa extension each year?

and that's all there is to it??. No constant changing of rules and different IOs interpretation of these rules? etc, etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

And I also find the shallow depth of appreciation often expressed by those who profess to love Thailand so much to be rather peculiar. It is striking how often the lower cost of living is cited as the primary (if not only) reason for "loving" Thailand. It makes me wonder if there was a sudden currency devaluation, some of these so-called "Thai lovers" would overnight become "Thai haters". As the Bee Gees once sang, I wonder just 'how deep is your love'?

It's also striking to me how few of these threads ever cite Thai people as a reason for loving Thailand? Of course, the Thai wife, who is often portrayed as the most wonderful conversation, bed, and life partner any man could ever hope for, is from time to time mentioned, but beyond that, except in the context of Thailand's night life attractions, Thai people scarcely ever get mentioned by these so-called Thai lovers. Strange, that. What? You love Thailand, but not Thai people? OK, maybe you're not a people person, but maybe you should put a little asterisk next to the statement "I love Thailand* [but not Thai people].

If it was 30bht to the UK pound, I'd probably be less happy (44 today).

But the Baht is just as likely to go to 60 as 30.

It's hard to be happy if you don't have enough money to live on.

And back in England, I wouldn't have enough money to live on.

I'm very lucky as I prefer the hot/dry here to the cold/wet there.

As for Thai people,

Why do I need to like Thai people, I avoided other people in the UK, I avoid other people here. I much prefer to sit home alone, with the internet and a large TV, and a fridge full of booze and food. Other people are best when viewed from a distance IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Genuinely I started this thread because I was sat there, having a beer, admiring the beautiful view & thought to myself how lucky I am (at 55) be able to enjoy this experience.

No doubt , at that moment an d many other you loved Thailand, No different from all of us. None of us came here, said "I hate Thailand , I think I'll move there"

Just make sure , in all fairness , next time you get the runs from street food  or when an Immigration officer asks something ridiculous and not really required , or when you turn a certain age and you cant qualify for insurance but they require insurance for you to come back if you go out of the country, or when your neighbor decides to get eight dogs and then go away while they cry all day, and only has someone come over once a day to feed the, or...... I can go on all day.  

you start an"  I hate Thailand thread. "????

Ohh and when you ride your bine, keep an eye out for long hanging electrical wires. and unprotected holes in the road. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, sirineou said:

or when you turn a certain age and you cant qualify for insurance but they require insurance for you to come back if you go out of the country

Sorry I meant to reply to this point as well. 100% agree with this concern to the point where even though I’m on a Non-O I decided to get insurance (Pacific Cross “Visa Friendly”) that covers the Non-OA requirements.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

Still love it here after nearly 40 years, but I do worry about the extent to which the CCP are beginning to exercise control ( eg see today's Bangkok Post front page). Their hatred of Westerners seems to have been adopted by many in the Thai government and related circles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stefanix said:

So to sum it up, you don’t believe postings about happiness in Thailand and think they have a hidden agenda and just want to antagonise the unhappy people. Hm. That tells a lot and I am very sorry that you think its not possible to be happy in Thailand. I hope that you don’t have to live in this country because of the low cost of living and found a better spot. 

To be honest I often feel like op. I permanently moved here at 39 and had many days when I just sat on the beach/pool/train whatever thinking how lucky I am. I even enjoyed my visa runs to Laos, KL.  I was really looking forward to it that I never even bothered with money in the bank with my marriage visa. But reality hits me once in a while that makes my future in Thailand questionable. Even my wife asks me every day if I'm sure I want to go back to Canada. She sees me happy here.  We paid a lot of money for lawyers to get the pr for her fast. I want to see how Thailand deals with covid next year. I think it's going to get a lot worse for expats. This is far from over.

• Like 2