Police report filed against visa agent - 25 foreigners left without passports

webfact

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

If you read the news you'll know that it's almost impossible to find staff. Some has mentioned that even offering double as high salary normal wage for the job won't help. It might be that Thais considers some work as too low status for them to do - numerous migrant workers left earlier due to the pandemic - I know it as facts from some kind of work, which is often considered too low status for Thais.

I doubt that applies in this case. More likely than not, the owner only wants to pay for cheap labour.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you read the news you'll know that it's almost impossible to find staff.

That is certainly true in our case. We have been looking for a couple of guys for pools/gardens/handyman.

Very little interest.

We pay much more than the minimum wage and are struggling to find people.

It will only get much worse when the hotels start to open up again.

We currently only employ Thais, but we are having to rethink that policy. All of our competitors hire Burmese and Thais.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you read the news you'll know that it's almost impossible to find staff. Some has mentioned that even offering double as high salary normal wage for the job won't help. It might be that Thais considers some work as too low status for them to do - numerous migrant workers left earlier due to the pandemic - I know it as facts from some kind of work, which is often considered too low status for Thais.

Really?

Where have I heard this kind of reasoning before?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Yes, so she could keep her cheap labour!

Again !   Maybe so ...but not potentially even cheaper as illegal workers paid a worse pittance. Or maybe actually a decent Boss who values employees and pays and provides for them for being willing to work? It may be easy to assume the worst of the worst but is it justifiable to take such a view given no premise ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Again !   Maybe so ...but not potentially even cheaper as illegal workers paid a worse pittance. Or maybe actually a decent Boss who values employees and pays and provides for them for being willing to work? It may be easy to assume the worst of the worst but is it justifiable to take such a view given no premise ?

If they were 'legal' they could have gotten their visas themselves surely.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe they should change the welfare benefits system of payment.

Link it to the labour department.

If you refuse to work then your benefit is cut.

The official unemployment rate - which is probably linked to the welfare system - is low, especially when compared to many other countries, at present it's 1.9 percent; in UK it'f for example 4.5 percent in October and in USA 4.6 percent. In EU the average unemployment rate was 6.7 percent in September.

It's often also difficult to get people to change profession, they rather wait if something they are used to work with get available. To my knowledge one the can get 6 month unemployment payout from Social Security in Thailand.

32 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

So what, you only talk about business through letters?  Carrier pigeons?   Semaphore?   You think estate agents in other countries don't use Whatsapp for example?   

What is wrong with liaising with an estate agent over Line?  Or are you another TVF member that is stuck in 1970?

Weird comment.

When I enquire about a property listed on DD for example, it would be nice to receive an e-mail with quality pictures, layout, terms of the rents, a little about the agency and their credentials, maybe nicely formatted etc, more often than not you just get some kid that pastes the same pictures from dd often with the watermarks, and a sentence about deposit, then some silly emoji wai. Yes I do expect more professionalism, I'm happy with them to follow up with line and whatsapp to schedule a viewing but it wont be the primary means of exchanging information and developing trust.

Edited by asiam110

4 hours ago, Chris.B said:

I doubt that applies in this case. More likely than not, the owner only wants to pay for cheap labour.

Whilst I understand your comment, there will no doubt be some unscrupulous types but many business owners the world over, are forced to look for cheap labour in order to compete with Chinese prices.

I try to support my  native businesses wherever I can but sometimes its very difficult given the price differences. A few years ago a UK company started up making washing machines, they claim 95% of the parts in their machines are British or EU made and of course, UK companies have to pay at least the minimum wage.  When my washing machine failed I looked into buying one of these British made machines but found that for equivalent models they were around £100 - £150 (45,000 - 67,750 baht) more expensive than most of the usual brands like Bosch.

Bosch I might mention who (like many 'Eurpoean brands) trade off their name whilst the majority of their machines or parts are actually made in China. However, when I asked Ebac (the UK company) what the 5% of parts made outside the UK and EU consisted of and where they came from - they told me the motor was made in China ????.

(I went for the Bosch but I may be kicking myself soon as I've just noticed that Ebac are now offering a 7 year parts and labour warranty ????)

4 hours ago, asiam110 said:

Just like all the professional thai real estate agents ???? "you have line sir or not"

I think you didn’t understand my sarcasm… You assure me that she is a state agent because she uses the line for you to enter money?  Is it an official account ?.  I must be such an idiot to believe what they tell me in a LINE chat?  BTW, I never use an agent, but I use LINE to show transfers to officially recognized companies

8 hours ago, webfact said:

a woman called Patraneekan who she said was a visa agent with police blah blah..using line chat