Police report filed against visa agent - 25 foreigners left without passports

webfact

16 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Would you ignore the  number of expats that go the route of using agents ? Are those that do automatically  to be deemed "not so legal" ?

I don't know, I do know of one who shouldn't be here by law but has successfully used an agent for many years. I don't understand why one would use an agent, the procedures are quite straight forward, the most time that I have spent in the IO for an extension was three hours but last week only one hour was sufficient. 

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I don't know, I do know of one who shouldn't be here by law but has successfully used an agent for many years. I don't understand why one would use an agent, the procedures are quite straight forward, the most time that I have spent in the IO for an extension was three hours but last week only one hour was sufficient. 

I know of  more than one that by law should not be yet despite that  has maintained a financially responsible non debtor existence for at  least the last  7 years. In my own experience I can not recall any time when time spent in an IO office exceeded 1.5 hours for an extension in the last 18 years. Yes I initially and have maintained the required  fixed sum required to avoid the complications of monthly income etc . I do not  brag that but would point out that although many would say is dead  money that in deflationary/inflationary terms has at least  equalled lost interest. Those that do it via agents lose more than I in expenditure but if without  deficiencey in liability I say up to them !

7 hours ago, Chris.B said:

40 migrant workers in a bedding supplies business and Thai people unemployed, the mind boggles! ☹️

Shortage of mechanics, truck drivers, taxi drivers. bin men, nurses and care workers in the UK while the shops, pubs and clubs are chock full of the furloughed native-born and those 'working from home'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Shortage of mechanics, truck drivers, taxi drivers. bin men, nurses and care workers in the UK while the shops, pubs and clubs are chock full of the furloughed native-born and those 'working from home'.

Same happening in the USA. There is supposedly a labor shortage, but every company is making money hand over fist, stock market is through the roof and CEO and everybody that is somebody is getting mega bonuses.  Where is the problem and where is the money coming from? Oh, everybody is quitting their job...again, too much money made/saved or been way overpaid for far too long?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

If they were 'legal' they could have gotten their visas themselves surely.

I can't think of any foreigner I know that's working here legally that does it themselves. Companies, educational institutions etc. all have people dedicated to the task. The report also says 'extensions' so most likely they've been working here legally on MOU visas and the 2-years is now up. Much easier for a busy employer in a smaller company to go with an agent and there are many agents who deal exclusively with migrant labour. I've come across a couple (who did get the job done) and it would seem they all (claim to) have connections in the immigration department. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

????????????   

What benefits? Its not the UK!!

A 60 yr old retired woman in Thailand gets the Princessly sum of 600bht (~£13.65) per month from the Govt to live on,any wonder why the Thai Govt gave no assistance to anyone during the Pandemic!!!

I wonder how much said women paid in to a pension scheme all her life?

7 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I can't think of any foreigner I know that's working here legally that does it themselves. Companies, educational institutions etc. all have people dedicated to the task.

Yeah company does mine, they don't use an agent though.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

It does exist and the rate is based on the highest 3 months earnings in the last nine months of employment  and is paid at 50% of the average daily rate.

You're talking about unemployment benefits which can only be received for up to 6 months. The poster you replied to was talking about retirement. But either way, the full benefits are for those who've been employed by companies and paid into the social insurance scheme. Which discounts most elderly people living in rural areas, who will receive the kind of amount he stated. 

• Thanks 1