timer for outside lights

regedit

Today you can buy LED type tubes and bulbs, at very reasonable cost, with built in light detectors to turn on/off when dark/light so in most cases the old timers are not needed.  Power loss also not an issue as works again when restored.   

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1115747?lang=th&gclid=CjwKCAiA1uKMBhAGEiwAxzvX97aKGhBTYQgndV4ZykLzzfPkw-pHcSrAhRh9WQFSP2HbtzHzJ6WUcxoC2lgQAvD_BwE

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use this one for my outdoor lights.  Currently have 3 and work flawlessly.  The one caveat is that neutral is required.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i201908555-s303700159.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1 

Wall attachment can use holder for screw.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Why not use a simple light detector?

if you don't want to turn the lights off in the middle of the night a photo-switch is, IMHO, the best solution.

All our outside lights are either on photo switches or are controlled by the output of their solar panels.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The KISS principle - TapRooT® Root Cause Analysisimage.jpeg.f5028eec1dc4b5cd72a3b0025c32e0e5.jpeg

And what is more simple than a bulb that switches itself on at set time?

I use my phone to to wake me up in the morning, why not use a phone app to turn on a bulb at dusk - 250B for a bulb.

Its only as complicated as you want to make it.

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

And what is more simple than a bulb that switches itself on at set time?

I use my phone to to wake me up in the morning, why not use a phone app to turn on a bulb at dusk - 250B for a bulb.

Its only as complicated as you want to make it.

You do not need a phone app was my meaning - the bulb itself can sense light and turn itself on and off as I posted above.  As we age such matters do take priority.????

Obviously I am not of the smart phone zombieation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

You do not need a phone app was my meaning - the bulb itself can sense light and turn itself on and off as I posted above.  As we age such matters do take priority.????

Obviously I am not of the smart phone zombieation.

ahh .. sorry, didnt notice the post - and yes, I agree with you! Whatever works is the best way.

If you are going to install a circuit with a timer, or 2000B for a photosensor and wiring .. that's not simple or cheap. My whole control system for the whole house cost less than 2000B and its all setup with sensors (which cost a couple of hundred baht each) and software timers .. I too cant be doing with talking to my cellphone or a robot to switch a light on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

if you don't want to turn the lights off in the middle of the night a photo-switch is, IMHO, the best solution.

All our outside lights are either on photo switches or are controlled by the output of their solar panels.

There's a set I want off before midnight, but I'm using a night sensor for the rest.

Re outdoor solar,  and recommended brand available here that have stood the test of time? I have a few but the plastic over the sensor has started to crack after a couple of years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, recom273 said:

You could buy a cheap smart bulb and if you are at home with your smart phone, it would turn on at a specified time -

Or  you can install Tasmota  or ESPhome on the smart bulb and have them auto magically switch on at dusk and off at dawn or any other times as per a timer  as well as switch them on/off by  phone app or a web interface  or a traditional switch.

We use TP-Link Tapo smart plugs. I have hundreds of them around our hotel. They can be set up with multiple schedules, or simply programmed to turn off and on at dawn and dusk (dawn an dusk times are automatically updated for the time of year). It's also useful to be able to plunge the hotel into darkness or light from a tap on my phone.