Advice on severe reaction to Astra Zeneca

cven

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It does indeed sound like an allergic reaction.

Do not get this or J&J in future. You might be able to get an mRNA vaccine (Moderna, Pfizer) but discuss first with a doctor.

Thank you Sheryl.

That is what I planned to do.

15 hours ago, UKresonant said:

1st Az jab March 2021 left arm 

Developed some pain in my knuckles of my left hand, for a few days the middle two fingers, should I clench my hand, had to push the middle two fingers straight again.

A few days after the jab, a very bad headache for about 24hrs.

The joint pain in the knuckle joints faded away and was zero by about 5 weeks (only a problem for the clutch on my motorcycle really).

2nd Az May 2021

Slight return of the left hand knuckle pain for a few days only. (The nurses at this station had not heard of the joint pain issue, but a bit of a headache was common, though I thought their description of the headache, was perhaps less than my experience).

3rd Jab, Booster, [Last night] Pfizer (&Flu) both in the left arm.

These nurses were aware of a few people having the Joint Pain that I had experienced after the 1st jab back in March.

So far so good, feel slightly more sleepy than normal today, but no other reactions.

If the joint pain I experienced in my left hand, had happened to my back, I could see why it would be an issue. I hope She recovers soon , my Best Wishes.

4th Jab, depends on the rate of cases in the population, unlikely to be before April 22!

I'm surprised that they did the Covid and flu jabs at the same time.  Last month Hubby and I went to Bangkok Hospital-Chiang Mai for our annual flu shots and they refused to do his since it had been less than a month since his AZ Covid shot.  So he had to return a week later for his flu shot.  

Incidentally, the doctor talked with us about the shingles vaccine, which we agreed to and then we sat around for what seemed like forever waiting for the nurse to administer the jabs.  Finally, the doctor came out of her office and announced that she'd inspected our records and we'd both had singles vaccines in June 2020.  I had no recollection and usually I remember such things.  Hubby said he vaguely remembered, but didn't want to contradict me, because "wifey is always right".   Congrats to the doctor for being so thorough.  She said receiving the shingles vaccine again wouldn't have hurt us, but it would be a big waste of money.

• Like 1

Had 2 AZ 12 weeks apart. Felt mildly fatigued for 2 days after first (probably psychosomatic) and absolutely nothing after second. My wife 51 had no reaction to her first AZ.

However I am 75 and in the UK AZ is reserved for the elderly with Pfizer and Moderna going to youngsters (my son's 21 and 29 ) mainly due to blood clotting and heart risk. AZ now claiming their product gives longer efficacy than mrna jabs but the 12 weeks between helps 

Yes, I did experience that.  Within two hours of my first injection I got severe lower back pain.  I just thought it was from sitting poorly on the trip to Bangkok.  It lasted about 4 weeks.  I got a second instance of lower back pain following the second injection but it was not as quickly noticeable and not as severe as the first injection.  Again, I dismissed it as being something still recovering from my first back episode. 

I was alerted to it only after a man who is about 50 and in excellent physical shape said he had a severe back ache following his astra zeneca shot.  I started to do some research and did find their was a connection to what is termed gullain-barre syndrome.  It is caused when the sciatic nerve is damaged and it radiates pain starting in the lower back and it can radiate to your legs and even arms.  Mine did extend down to my legs.   It is an auto immune response and can be caused by any vaccine that triggers the immune system.  It is now about 5 weeks from my second shot and my back is fine.  I took daily doses morning, noon, and night of ibuprophen which did mitigate the pain.  

Image result for guillain barre sciatic nerve

Autoimmune disorders occur when the immune system malfunctions and attacks the body's own tissues and organs. In Guillain-Barré syndrome, the immune response damages peripheral nerves, which are the nerves that connect the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) to the limbs and organs.