where to open thai bank account in bangkok?

hello, last time I went to my nearest Krungsri branch with an ED visa and I was not allowed to open a bank account because this visa was only for study and not work, according to the lady. Does anybody know a bank that can open a bank account for me without requiring a work permit or similar?

It's more the branch than the bank that matters. You'd have the best luck with one in a more isolated area and if you find one willing to open one for you, it will very likely come with the requirement of purchasing their insurance for 6000 baht or something like that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

It's more the branch than the bank that matters. You'd have the best luck with one in a more isolated area and if you find one willing to open one for you, it will very likely come with the requirement of purchasing their insurance for 6000 baht or something like that.

Source for this info?

2 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

Clearly not. 

Yes, but not on a tourist visa. A tourist is not considered as living in the country hence not considered having a need for a bank account in every country they visit.

With a ED visa and a certificate of residency you are able to open an account in most Thai banks except maybe Bank of Agriculture and specifically designated banks. Sure, many people say it differ from branch to branch. In reality not, as the head office will tell you it´s ok. That means you can make the head office call the branch and explain to them.

1 hour ago, zugzug123 said:

Does anybody know a bank that can open a bank account for me without requiring a work permit or similar?

What's your current permit based on. Meaning you entered on tourist visa or non O etc? 

Opening Bank account is now more difficult than years back.

I recently had success with Kasikorn. That bank also has English speaking hotline that the staff will ring for you if not clear.

Bangkok Bank wanted something from my embassy (I assume residence statement of address not sure). They also wanted something from my Oz bank. 

I have extensions retirement from a non O and had reentry stamp etc.

Couple of reports of using agent to open account was quick and simple. Recommend for folk with visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Siam Legal was mentioned by a couple of posters. 

Try few banks and fallback could be agent.

The first question most banks will ask is ...."work permit" , which is bit crazy when many people are needing account for retirement.

Edited by DrJack54

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Get a letter from your embassy confirming your address and that will be accepted since it will have their stamp on it

Pretty sure that the Australian embassy does not provide that service. 

OP, most likely not AU, so not an issue. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

See the requirements here. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

No need for a work permit. Get a letter from your embassy confirming your address and that will be accepted since it will have their stamp on it.

Confirming my address in Thailand? So I show them my TM30? Because the condo rental agreement is on my partner's name. 

11 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

Confirming my address in Thailand? So I show them my TM30? Because the condo rental agreement is on my partner's name. 

Your partner might be able to act as your reference to open an account. She could show the rental agreement to prove your address.

Some embassies will let you do statutory declaration, affidavit or statement to prove your address.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Complete nonsense!

Not going to get into this however have read couple of reports of exactly that occuring. Not suggesting that's any sort of proof but "complete nonsense" tad strong.

While I'm here.....OP your getting varying advice. You can test them all. As mentioned in my earlier post.

I have tried at the bank with my partner of 10 years and same condo address and lease for 10 years. Did NOT work at BANGKOK BANK where she had an account for long time.

If you wish to mess around obtaining residence certificate etc then good luck.

Unless you have a non O use an agent.

My non O (long expired) with several annual extensions ...I still had trouble.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Complete nonsense!

No, not really. I am on a tourist visa and Bangkok Bank wanted me to either buy insurance or produce a certificate of residency. It was on a laminated card so not made up on the spot. As I already had insurance I opted to get a certificate of residency.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greenwich Boy said:

No, not really. I am on a tourist visa and Bangkok Bank wanted me to either buy insurance or produce a certificate of residency. It was on a laminated card so not made up on the spot. As I already had insurance I opted to get a certificate of residency.

How did you go about obtaining the certificate of residency?

6 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

I stay in the same place every year (I am in Chiang Mai and I realise the OP asked about Bangkok)

My landlady drew up a lease agreement and I used that. I realise that may not be possible for some, maybe talk to an agent.

7 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

That depends with which immigration office you deal with.

Bangkok imm for residence certificate is done at MTT.

You must have done a 90 day report to obtain. That rules some folk out.

BTW ...did you indicate if you have a non O.....been doing 90 day reports etc. Not clear.

25 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I still say nonsense. There should be no obligation whatsoever when opening a bank account. Requirements yes, obligations no!

I would walk out of any bank that tried that one on and I'm not without experience, I have 4 accounts here.

Edited by Moonlover

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just try another branch

I don't think you read the posts in this thread.

I tried MANY and have outlined ridiculous requirements from a couple of banks. Despite having extension based on non O for many years. 

The OP has not clarified his status and how entered Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I tried MANY and have outlined ridiculous requirements from a couple of banks. Despite having extension based on non O for many years. 

I use Krungsri myself, and occasionally if I have to to anything at the bank I ask them about the requirements for foreigners.

Just a few months ago a Krungsri employee in Central Festival Chiang Mai told me any visa and one year rental contract.

This is the same what I was told last year (or maybe the year before, not sure anymore) at Central Airport Chiang Mai.

OP should be able to find a branch which lets him open an account with any visa + rental contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Where are you in Thailand?

If Pattaya, I might be able to help you. I have good relations to the manager of BKK Bank Naklua.

I'll be back in Thailnd from Thursday this week, just pm me, if you want.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

OP should be able to find a branch which lets him open an account with any visa + rental contract

I hope he reports back his experience. 

So often there is advice given and we never know what worked and didn't.

Maybe a silly story to lighten thread up.

So when I tried to open FD account I actually had 600k baht with me. I went to Sukhumvit Asoke area. Big branch Bangkok Bank. They would not assist without the residence certificate etc. BTW I had one year lease. 

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Where are you in Thailand?

If Pattaya, I might be able to help you. I have good relations to the manager of BKK Bank Naklua.

I'll be back in Thailnd from Thursday this week, just pm me, if you want.

Thankyou. 

My post was not clear. 

I live in Thailand and my banking is all sorted. 

Your post is just another example of how helpful AseanNow and folk such as yourself can be of assistance. 

Heading to Pattaya next week for fireworks. Shout out to all the folk in Pattaya.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I hope he reports back his experience. 

So often there is advice given and we never know what worked and didn't.

Maybe a silly story to lighten thread up.

So when I tried to open FD account I actually had 600k baht with me. I went to Sukhumvit Asoke area. Big branch Bangkok Bank. They would not assist without the residence certificate etc. BTW I had one year lease. 

I will report back. I will be visiting a couple branches from the different banks around in my area. I need a Thai bank account now to make a non-o. I will bring my wife with our rental agreement which is on her name and my TM30. We have been living in the same condo for 2 years. I will also make sure to point out I have been in Thailand for 3 years without leaving the country, and that I plan to get a marriage visa and stay for at least another year, and for that I need a Thai bank account with 400k in it to show to immigration.

If this story is not enough in the 6 or so branches around here then I don't know ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zugzug123 said:

I will also make sure to point out I have been in Thailand for 3 years without leaving the country, and that I plan to get a marriage visa and stay for at least another year, and for that I need a Thai bank account with 400k in it to show to immigration

Out of interest how did you live in Thailand for 3 years..

No such thing as marriage visa. Not being picky. Terms important.

You plan on obtaining a non O marriage?

Again what is your current permission of stay based on. 

How did you last enter Thailand.

Greetings, new here but thought i would share my recent experience.

Entered Visa exempt in October, applied for 30 day extension at small IO in Patong. Went back into same office a week later and told them i needed to open up a bank account. They looked at my passport, took my picture and gave me a form to take to the bank. It was all written in Thai & i payed 500 baht for this certificate. The IO told me not to accept the banks insistence on me purchasing their 12 month Accident insurance.

I went to Bangkok Bank, showed them the certificate from Immigration & my passport. They insisted that i take out their cheapest 12 month policy which costs 5900 baht.

You also have to put 500 baht into your account & another 500 baht deposit for your ATM card. (You can choose 1 of 4 different cards)

I left with my bankbook and my new card. I then made a few transactions into the account and went back for them to update my book.

A week or so later, i went back in & asked them could i open up another account ? I explained that this new account would be used for Immigration purposes only.

They opened for me a new FD Account there and then with 0.5% interest.

Hope this information helps.

• Like 1