where to open thai bank account in bangkok?

5 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Greetings, new here but thought i would share my recent experience.

Entered Visa exempt in October, applied for 30 day extension at small IO in Patong. Went back into same office a week later and told them i needed to open up a bank account. They looked at my passport, took my picture and gave me a form to take to the bank. It was all written in Thai & i payed 500 baht for this certificate. The IO told me not to accept the banks insistence on me purchasing their 12 month Accident insurance.

I went to Bangkok Bank, showed them the certificate from Immigration & my passport. They insisted that i take out their cheapest 12 month policy which costs 5900 baht.

You also have to put 500 baht into your account & another 500 baht deposit for your ATM card. (You can choose 1 of 4 different cards)

I left with my bankbook and my new card. I then made a few transactions into the account and went back for them to update my book.

A week or so later, i went back in & asked them could i open up another account ? I explained that this new account would be used for Immigration purposes only.

They opened for me a new FD Account there and then with 0.5% interest.

Hope this information helps.

Excellent.

Hope some experts above read your post..

Keep in mind that Patong and Phuket generally in some areas very tourist friendly. Perhaps not possible for OP in Bangkok.

Thanks for your report

Off topic but related: I'm coming back in two weeks, and a friend there is trying to tell me that guys on Non-O are being required by Immigration to have regular monthly deposits made into accounts, something new? Anything to this rumor? 

3 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Off topic but related: I'm coming back in two weeks, and a friend there is trying to tell me that guys on Non-O are being required by Immigration to have regular monthly deposits made into accounts, something new? Anything to this rumor? 

Your post is slightly confusing.

The requirements to obtain a non O are very clear. Also requirements for extensions are clear.

Your coming back in 2 weeks with what type of entry..

How does your question relate to your entry.

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your post is slightly confusing.

The requirements to obtain a non O are very clear. Also requirements for extensions are clear.

Your coming back in 2 weeks with what type of entry..

How does your question relate to your entry.

I'm on a Non-O with re-entry permit that expires two weeks after I land on 7 Dec. A friend who is one of a loose group is trying to tell me that other Non-O guys we know are being told by Immigration to show monthly deposits occurring in their accounts, but that he already does so anyway. Never heard of such, I think he's off somehow, but thought I would ask if anyone has heard of such a thing.  I agree with you, the requirements are pretty clear. My question doesn't relate to my entry, but to the possibility I might have to adapt to something totally new after entry. Thanks for responding! And of course I will be applying for a new extension.

Edited by Enzian
more info

6 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I'm on a Non-O with re-entry permit that expires two weeks after I land on 7 Dec.

Just to be clear. You have a non O with reentry permit???

Do you mean that you have extension with reentry permit.

What is date expiry of your reentry permit

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to be clear. You have a non O with reentry permit???

Do you mean that you have extension with reentry permit.

What is date expiry of your reentry permit

Yes, I'm on a 12 month extension of stay, re-entry permit says "Valid Until 20 Dec 2021". Been the same Dec 20 for 3 or 4 years. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Enzian said:

Yes, I'm on a 12 month extension of stay, re-entry permit says "Valid Until 20 Dec 2021". Been the same Dec 20 for 3 or 4 years. Thanks.

Fine ...so you can reenter Thailand.

What is your plan after that,?

To obtain a 12 month extension after prior to Dec 21 you will need to satisfy financial requirements.

Either money in bank or income method.

Evening. Been following this group for a couple of weeks, so many thanks for all the useful info I've been able to gleam.  Popped into KBank on the 4th floor of the Central Festival arcade today in Pattaya . Asked to open an account, was asked for my  passport,  UK drivers license (2nd photo ID) and a copy of my Non-Im O-A visa. All setup with a 5000 ThB deposit, the cashier helped setup the App on my Thai mobile. All in all, in and out in 20 minutes. App confirmed my deposit after 30 minutes. Had to pay 400ThB for a Visa debit card. One thing I did pick up on is any FX transfers will take 3-5 working days, as Swift code is to the Head Office branch in Bangkok, who then transfer down to the branch, ie can't transfer direct to my account. Also, made a point of photographing any piece of paper I signed, did ask for a photocopy, but was informed "not possible".

So many thanks for all the tips, going prepared with all my paperwork paid off. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Fine ...so you can reenter Thailand.

What is your plan after that,?

To obtain a 12 month extension after prior to Dec 21 you will need to satisfy financial requirements.

Either money in bank or income method.

Right. I've had roughly $30K in a Foreign Currency Deposit account for three years now, used it for my last two extensions though there was always some explaining to do due to the fact that the bank doesn't issue a familiar paper bank book with that kind of account. (This is digital Thailand?) I guess I forgot that the requirement can also be met with the income method, and that must be what my friend was pointing at, problem being he was trying to suggest there was something new to it all. Some people like to try to scare you, bad trait. Thanks for listening.

RayWright above, watch out for the currency conversion rate used by KBank. I did fine with them for years, then once they used some angle to use a highly unfavorable conversion rate on a $9K transfer, which cost me 2 or 3 hundred $. Instead of fight it I closed my account and moved.

6 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Instead of running around, collecting needed papers, immigration lawyers can open a bank account for you. 

Indeed...as I mentioned earlier...

"Recommend for folk with visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Siam Legal was mentioned by a couple of posters. 

Try few banks and fallback could be agent"

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

One thing I would mention for Americans is that KTB will not pay you interest.  They don't want to deal with the extra paperwork/reporting the US requires.

Along similar lines....

For those intending to use CW ..

SCB does not have a branch there.

35 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Instead of running around, collecting needed papers, immigration lawyers can open a bank account for you. 

A simple agent can open an account for a small fee why pay an expensive lawyer?

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

As others have implied, the rules at many banks are branch level.    A year ago, Bangkok Bank at Central Embassy wanted all kinds of paper (including proof of non-O visa, which was a very circular argument given that I needed the account to get the non-O visa).    Bangkok Bank at EmQuartier was a very different experience, some processing and done.

21 minutes ago, tjintx said:

wanted all kinds of paper (including proof of non-O visa, which was a very circular argument given that I needed the account to get the non-O visa).

So true...

The Book/Movie "Catch 22" comes to mind.

Did your chat go something like mine...

Bank Clerk : can I have your work permit

Me: You don't understand. I need bank account for non O RETIREMENT.

Bank Clerk: I understand. Where is your work permit and we open account....

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, rott said:
17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Complete nonsense!

1 hour ago, rott said:

No it isn't, it has happened to me and two other people I know. 

More fool you and them. Insurance is not obligatory. I've opened enough accounts here to know.

You and they should have walked out.

• Haha 1

Yes, back in the "old" days it was very easy to open a bank account.  Just show them your passport (Thais use their ID card) and your account is opened very quickly.  Visa type/Work Permit of no interest to them.  I have opened a few different bank accounts over the years, the first back in 1989 as described above.  Do make sure that you open the account at a branch that is convenient for you to go to and is also accustomed to dealing with foreigners.  This will help you a lot over time.