Apple's Iphone

Guest Reimar

Don’t say you weren’t warned. After cautioning customers earlier this week that unlocked iPhones may be disabled when installing future Apple software updates, the company on Thursday made good on its warning.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/27/ip...nlock/index.php

I think I can live without 1.1.1 for quite a while. In addition, it's always possible to do a full restore to firmware 1.0.2, see here: http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/09/27/how-...g-firmware-111/

From all I read it seems like the new update does the following:

- Kick out third party apps and re-lock the phone

- Add some new functions and bug fixes

- Change the encryption scheme to make it harder to unlock or jailbreak the phone. This means it might take a while until the iPhone is hacked again. A week, two weeks.

However, the new update doesn't break unlocked phones per se - users of unlocked phones have the option to:

- Not upgrade the firmware

- Re-lock, change back to original firmware 1.0.2, then upgrade

Also if you compare the features of firmware 1.1.1 with 1.0.2 + third party applications I think the latter has significantly more and better features. The only thing thats missing is the security updates.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article on the unlock/relock debate:

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/09/25/hack...ockdisablement/

And here's how the version stack up - 1.0.2 + hacks vs. 1.1.1:

http://9to5mac.com/hacked-iphoneOS-beats-A...s-down-23459856

1.0.2 + hacks looks rather more desirable than 1.1.1... :o

Edited by nikster

"I am not sure you are right - for your info Apple has already sold over 1m iphones and that was before the price drop."

No, they did not.

"If iphones are selling so badly, how come my Apple shares go up in price virtually every day?"

Your Apple shares dropped in value when SJ announced the price drop.

I hate to burst all the apple loving tech heads bubbles but the iphone is 1/8th the phone the Asus 535 is .. now prove me wrong. Owing both I now wounder why I bothered with the iphone? My 9yr old has it for their toy now.

Edited by youbet

"I am not sure you are right - for your info Apple has already sold over 1m iphones and that was before the price drop."

No, they did not.

"If iphones are selling so badly, how come my Apple shares go up in price virtually every day?"

Your Apple shares dropped in value when SJ announced the price drop.

They did sell 1M phones before the drop...

If you want to start bashing Apple, the share price is perhaps not the best place to start. Numbers don't lie :o

post-20814-1190995799_thumb.png

Edited by nikster

I hate to burst all the apple loving tech heads bubbles but the iphone is 1/8th the phone the Asus 535 is .. now prove me wrong.

No harm done, I love my iPhone but I really don't mind you liking your Asus whatever better... enjoy! :o

PS: Can you ssh into your Asus? Or pop a terminal on the phone and ssh into your webserver? Geek points if you can!

Edited by nikster

I hate to burst all the apple loving tech heads bubbles but the iphone is 1/8th the phone the Asus 535 is .. now prove me wrong.

No harm done, I love my iPhone but I really don't mind you liking your Asus whatever better... enjoy! :o

PS: Can you ssh into your Asus? Or pop a terminal on the phone and ssh into your webserver? Geek points if you can!

Yep "ssh -l admin [email protected] " your point? Even runs a dynanic dns app for this as shown in the ssh script. I run 90% of the remote access onsite with it rather than the notebook.

windows IE works fine on Blade, Edge, CDMA or even Wifi.

Your point?

I hate to burst all the apple loving tech heads bubbles but the iphone is 1/8th the phone the Asus 535 is .. now prove me wrong. Owing both I now wounder why I bothered with the iphone? My 9yr old has it for their toy now.

The Asus is twice as thick and slightly heavier with half the resolution. Not sure how you could give Asus the win on specs. The iPhone is a beautifully engineered product. I'm going to try and return mine tomorrow.

I'm just sick of Apple's attitude on the platform, and it isn't something I want to support. I'm also selling my stake in them, as I feel they are heading in the wrong direction with their approach.

But I still think the iPhone kicks the pants off of any Windows Mobile or Symbian smart phone I have ever tried. My main issue is just that I know Apple doesn't care about some of the things that are important to me... like a freaking scientific calculator!

BTW youbet, any relation to the domain? Did some work with them a few months back...

The Asus is twice as thick and slightly heavier with half the resolution. Not sure how you could give Asus the win on specs. The iPhone is a beautifully engineered product. I'm going to try and return mine tomorrow.

I'm just sick of Apple's attitude on the platform, and it isn't something I want to support. I'm also selling my stake in them, as I feel they are heading in the wrong direction with their approach.

I agree with you there. I am pretty disappointed with Apple's strategy WRT to the iPhone. I can't even see the point from Apple's business perspective, and it's possible they've actually just lost it. They have done really stupid things before. Genius and madness of Steve Jobs. The iPhone is such a great product that it could own the market for smart phones but Apple seems to be doing everything they can to prevent that.

Apple has lost face over this.

PS: The most important feature of a phone is the ability to ssh in and out, isn't it? :o

Why would I want to bash Apple? I worked there for 16 years, and made several hundred thousand dollars on my stock options. As an Apple accolyte you believe that Apple can't do any wrong, and you're wrong about that.

Sounded like you were being negative. I don't think the price cut was a bad idea. Maybe they realized they need to be less greedy.

I don't believe Apple can do no wrong, and sadly the sorry iPhone locking policy is proof. Apple is being stupid, hurting themselves, their customers and their shareholders. They're headed absolutely the wrong way on that one. They can't win the fight with the hackers but they can lose their reputation with their customers.

Really? you probably dont own an ipod.

This phone is ideal for ipod users - and Apple has sold 100m of them. Perfect for listening to audio books and podcasts. you want to manage phots on the Asus screen? Gee? As for giving it to your kid, I think you are right.... I am thinking of getting my kids iphones for Christmas.

As I noted earlier, I had the iPhone, used it {in Thailand} and decided after several days not to buy it. An iTouch + phone makes a better and more usable combination in my view. On the Linux point Motorola V8 {Razar2} is a Linux box, there are development tools based on Eclipse, and Motorola is aiming to market the ability to add applications as a specific add-value proposition. /edit In my opinion, that is the way to market a communications device.//

Regards

PS No I don't have shares in Motorola :o

Edited by A_Traveller

So, did anybody with a Maboonkrong iphone do the 1.1.1 firmware update?

Met a friend yesterday who has the 1.0.2 firmware and DTAC - so far everything seems to run fine.

But what about that 1.1.1?

It won't work. It will brick the phone. The super-sim hack migh work, but I haven't found any confirmation. Super-sim requires you to give the shop your SIM card and they load it up onto the iPhone with an AT&T network number.

Just dont upgrade to 1.1.1 just now. The Hacking Dev Team are working very hard on 1.1.1 there is already a downgrade been found for 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 just a matter of days before its decrypted.

Using 1.0.2 I got from MBK with no problems just switched off update checking itunes until 1.1.1 is hacked. Your phone will never be forced updated to 1.1.1 without your confirmation.

They did sell 1M phones before the drop...

Apple dumps price of iphone - Sept 5th

Apple sells one millionth iphone – Sept 10th

Close but they did not sell 1M before the the price dump.

You are right. I stand corrected.

Here's my news ticker:

""SAN FRANCISCO, Sept 05, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ --

Apple® today announced that it is on track to sell its one millionth iPhone before the end of

September, and to make iPhone affordable for even more customers this holiday

season, it is lowering the price of the most popular iPhone model with 8GB of

storage from $599 to just $399."

"CUPERTINO, Calif., Sept 10, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ --

Apple® today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone yesterday, just 74 days after

its introduction on June 29. iPhone combines three devices"

So Sept 5 is the price cut, Sept 9 the official 1M iPhone mark.

Just dont upgrade to 1.1.1 just now. The Hacking Dev Team are working very hard on 1.1.1 there is already a downgrade been found for 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 just a matter of days before its decrypted.

Using 1.0.2 I got from MBK with no problems just switched off update checking itunes until 1.1.1 is hacked. Your phone will never be forced updated to 1.1.1 without your confirmation.

Do you know what kind of hack they use at Maboonkrong?

One of their own?

Those boys are rather fit.

Pretty sure it's the open source hack. This was pretty difficult to pry open and very different from any other handset out there.

iPhoneDevTeam, the guys behind the hack, have found ways to restore bricked phones to 1.0.2 + unlock. I am not sure they'll hack 1.1.1 soon, it's supposedly locked down in several new ways. They'll do it no doubt, but it may take a while.

MBK are using ANYSIM hack from dev team not the Harware hack - basically the same anyway the HW Hack was just to allow u to flash the baseband with software.

I would get one soon if you are thnking about it before the 1.0.2 phones are all dried up. As I believe all the ones being sold in usa by apple now are already upgraded to 1.1.1

One shop at MBK have a team working on the iphone software 'hack'.

They are already offering a Thai language menu as an alternative to the english language menu together with a thai language keyboard - pretty impressive.

They have also already updated their english language software since I bought my iphone 3 weeks ago with a whole host of new third party apps. They have done some pretty neat things like get the keyboard to work in landscape mode.

For the really lazy they will also pre-load your iphone with all the latest music and music videos.