Thailand’s international tourism could take years to recover

webfact

37 minutes ago, timendres said:

Contradictory statements. The "complete cultural experience" of Thailand is not some "corporate experience" that provides "the safest, world class, sustainable vacation destination". It is certainly not why I fell in love with the country. Of course, improve sustainability and safety, but we have already seen the destruction of too much of what makes Thailand unique and desirable. "Open minded people" understand there are many reasons people love to vacation here, and not all of them are coming for temples and beaches. There are already plenty of destinations providing the "western standard" of tourism. Thailand needs to retain its character, or tourism will dwindle. Police checks for all foreigners entering the kingdom? They are already doing what is reasonable. Anything more is likely to turn people away. "Severe prosecution"? For masks? Get a grip Anutin Jr. Simple reminders and 500 baht fines will work just fine.

Thanks for reading my long unreasonable screed.

People come from all over the world eschewing masks. They need to be educated first. Heavy fines and penalties, broadcast to foreign media channels can be part of that learning process before arrival. The Thailand of 24 years ago I fell in love with will never return, though I wish it most of it could. Some elements will always be there, outside of major tourist city centers. The more "charming" wonders of Siam however, all the scams, casual pedestrians or children savaged by wild dogs on beaches or sois,  the easy haven for foreign crims have passed their sell date. All could be easily eliminated without endangering the attractiveness of Thailand to any type of visitor, except the crims and sex-pests.

Did you like the foreign crims and sex-pests? Bangkok street food is worthy of unesco intangible cultural asset status.  So, move it to Singapore style hawker centers. Anybody who really liked it because of its haphazard and potentially unsanitary nature wishing that to last forever is just being unreasonable. It's 2021 Bangkok can have proper pavements accessible to wheelchairs.

"You can never go home again"

6 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I don't know why Thais now want tourism to recover. Before convid they were all xenophobic and wanted foreigners to go home. Now that they left they want them to come back. 

There's still a sizable group that doesn't want the country to open up to foreign tourism.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I don't know why Thais now want tourism to recover. Before convid they were all xenophobic and wanted foreigners to go home. Now that they left they want them to come back. 

I have encountered very little xenophobia in Thailand. Personal experience. It is the government that is going broke, and those in the tourism industry who are already broke, that want tourism to return. The average Thai just wants a better economy and a better government.

21 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Thanks for reading my long unreasonable screed.

Well crafted posts deserve a genuine read.

People come from all over the world eschewing masks. They need to be educated first. Heavy fines and penalties, broadcast to foreign media channels can be part of that learning process before arrival. 

I think a simple pamphlet handed out on arrival at the airport would be cheaper and more effective. A 500 baht fine will get most people to comply. Masks are not the real problem here, so I cannot understand your obsession.

Did you like the foreign crims and sex-pests? 

I tend not to judge. People who cause no problems, are... not a problem. Apparently these specific people have been causing you much angst.

Bangkok street food is worthy of unesco intangible cultural asset status.  So, move it to Singapore style hawker centers.

I think you misunderstand Thailand. Street food does not exist for tourists. It exists for Thai people. It is their culture, not something created to generate tourism. Move it to Singapore style hawker centers, and you have eliminated its entire purpose. If you find it inconvenient, there is always Singapore waiting for your arrival.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I tend not to judge. People who cause no problems, are... not a problem. Apparently these specific people have been causing you much angst.

You are a better and more enlightened being than am judgmental. Expecting everyone to live up to Captain Monday's standard of excellence. It is unreasonable. We would have a world with no crime, no exploitation, no professional sports. But also little risk taking and innovation.

The troubles I have with the crims were never direct but every bad action the foreign scofflaws and miscreants take results in hassles and bad karma against all foreigners. Structural xenophobia exists all over the world I have lived and worked several counties always true.

1 hour ago, timendres said:

I think you misunderstand Thailand. Street food does not exist for tourists. It exists for Thai people. It is their culture, not something created to generate tourism. Move it to Singapore style hawker centers, and you have eliminated its entire purpose. If you find it inconvenient, there is always Singapore waiting for your arrival.

Totally right about the street food or the street dogs, anything else said would just be argumentative. 

My final comment was about "progress", which is unavoidable unless you really close off the country.

It doesn't really affect me but Thai people know better than anyone know their capitals streets are inaccessible to wheelchairs/why they have to keep granny at home. Not only from vendors but the archaic urban infrastructure. They know children attacked by packs of dogs while playing by dogs is a suboptimal result from an indifferent policy. 

On 11/23/2021 at 4:48 AM, Captain Monday said:

If Thailand cannot come up with an entry app that can produce a QR code in 5 minutes like any other country in the world that already has such apps give up and scrap it.

Impossible but would like to see them maybe enforce existing laws and break up transport mafias 

• All alcohol and entertainment restrictions should be repealed. There is no way to "improve ventilation" by January 15 2022 or January 15 2029, and no number of vinyl signboards describing the 24 step process of how to drink in a bar will have any effect on public health. People are not going on holiday to Saudi Arabia either are they? For real most of the dreaded "bar beers" have perfect ventilation already, a roof with no walls!
  • Coming to Thailand should be a complete cultural experience for open minded people Make  clear public statements through all travel industry channels that although it may not be scientifically essential wearing a mask at ALL TIMES EVEN OUTDOORS is part of most Asian cultures already and will be required for in Thailand many years under force of severe prosecution. OR PLEASE DO NOT COME HERE
  • Build back better. The safest, world class, sustainable vacation destination. No more group tour hordes, sex-pests and crims. Require police checks for all foreigners who come to Thailand. Eliminate dodgy travel insurance. Require a 300 baht per day payment for all temporary visitors with discounts (example 4500 baht for 30 day stay). To fund comprehensive travel health and accident and medical repatriation insurance for duration of stay in Thailand. Also to fund facilities and environmental infrastructure improvements, and significant enhancement to Tourist Police in all major areas.
  • Any rare case of a tourist requiring covid treatment or isolation should be free and at top facilities and hotels.

Perhaps liver function tests to determine alcoholics and ban them from entry.

There will be no 'recovery'. The era of tourism as we knew it has finished. In the following years a new model of highly restricted, highly controlled mass tourism will develop. There will be no independent travellers. It will be all government controlled like the Chinese or North Korean system. Tourism and travel as we knew it here is finished and the wealth it brought people has dried up for ever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1