Police will face trouble if caught taking bribes - tourists stopped by traffic cops in Phuket creates stir

webfact

Policeman didn’t decline my 500thb after accusing me of doing an illegal right hand turn this week.

The fine was 400 so 500 saved me a trip to the station.

This will never stop and I even keep change in my car for when I get pulled over often for no reason.

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Oh bye the way do you have your passports on you? Nope, ok add that to the list

Many rental companies require you to hand over your passport for the duration of the rental as a guarantee - how can it be with you and at the rental company ...????

Ahh, I see the perfect scam as it can't be in two places at the same time....

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think some of these tourist need to get a grip and follow the laws, Lots of tourist I have spoken to seem to think being fined or handing money over at the roadside is some form of corruption or bribe,

I remember talking to a couple of tourist in the bar a couple of years ago and they was asking me about police corruption, if you are committing a road traffic offence and you get fined how is that corruption............? 

Right now you are drinking in the bar you have no helmets, I saw you pull up, do you have a license on you.........Nope! so right away there is 3 offenses, Oh bye the way do you have your passports on you? Nope, ok add that to the list

So if you get fined tonight with that little lot you are calling that corruption? 

I told them I have lived here 25 years and been fined twice and both times was my fault,

oh you are such a goody 2 shoes

I would be most curious to see the numbers for which group of those being fined are Thai and how many are farangs. We already know which side that scale will tilt towards. I'm asking for actual official numbers for both groups . 

Sadly I have to admit that here in Jomtien I see proportionally  equal numbers of farangs & Thais riding without helmets. Usually , but not always , the farang helmet-less riders are younger guys (under 50 ?)  who think they are auditioning for a remake of "Easy Rider"

From personal observation the number of  Thais without helmets has increases dramatically since the lock down is over. And the numbers who run the red light on Chaiyapruk & 2nd road is shocking.

Enforcement is negligible ????

Edited by kentrot
grammar error

6 hours ago, mancub said:

Often hard to follow the "rules" when they're sometimes made up or at best selectively implemented. 

If they are selectively implemented or not is irrelevant. If laws - the "rules" - are being broken you need to pay up. Those who break the law are luckier in Thailand than in most other places, because in Thailand they can often get away with it. But not always. And that leniency is what makes the country so attractive for some long-termers. That is why Thailand attracts bottom of the barrel, as opposed to some of its neighbouring countries. Standards are lower in Thailand and they fit right in.

25 minutes ago, kentrot said:

I would be most curious to see the numbers for which group of those being fined are Thai and how many are farangs. We already know which side that scale will tilt towards. I'm asking for actual official numbers for both groups . 

Sadly I have to admit that here in Jomtien I see proportionally  equal numbers of farangs & Thais riding without helmets. Usually , but not always , the farang helmet-less riders are younger guys (under 50 ?)  who think they are auditioning for a remake of "Easy Rider"

From personal observation the number of  Thais without helmets has increases dramatically since the lock down is over. And the numbers who run the red light on Chaiyapruk & 2nd road is shocking.

Enforcement is negligible ????

I very much doubt there will be any information regarding whether the Police collect more money from Thais or foreigners (or farangs even, meaning Western Foreigners).

But, I imagine the results would be quite varied depending on location. 

i.e. In Bangkok, I imagine the vast majority of fines are from Thai Motorcyclists - the Police just do not seem interested in foreigners or cars.

That said, there are probably loads of fines issued to speeding cars (by post from tollway / motorways cams),  but no one pays those !!!

In Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, I imagine its split by area but imagine a 50/50 split  - which implies there are more foreigners easily targeted because there are lot more Thai’s than foreigners on the roads. 

Elsewhere, towns and cities I imagine the vast majority of fines come from Thai’s with very few foreigners being stopped. 

(All just a guess of course).

48 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes you are correct no one should or have to carry their original passport with them, in fact the only time would be going or coming from the airport, or a visit to immigration. If anyone has lost their passport they will know its a very time consuming/messy  and expensive business to get a new one.

Plus. Posting international mail at a post office,  and doing anything complicated (like getting a new bankbook or card) at a bank.

Passport required !

I got pulled over driving someone elses car with no seatbelt or license on me, and it was a little suspect as there were 3 cops down this little side street.

I was with a thai lady and i knew i was to pay a fine, however i tried to give them 400 baht but they wanted 600 baht and i refused and there was a bit of a stand off untill the Thai lady got involved and found out the reason they wouldnt accept the 400 baht was because it was not divisble by 3 ! Hence the 600 spilt between 3 cops was 200 baht each. Anyway once i heard this i laughed and drove off leaving them with the 400 and that was the end of the matter, totally corrupt but if you are in the wrong its hard to take a firm stance on it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

???????????? I remember being in Malaysia and driving with a local who got stopped for something. 

So chats to the cop and then turns to me and asks if I had 50 ringgit ?

I only had 100 and handed it over.

The cop gave back R50 change...at which I was amazed. 

My friend just told me that the cop was just corrupt, but not dishonest ????????

exactly, nobody used to care when it was a pittance and cheaper than your time.

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think some of these tourist need to get a grip and follow the laws, Lots of tourist I have spoken to seem to think being fined or handing money over at the roadside is some form of corruption or bribe,

I remember talking to a couple of tourist in the bar a couple of years ago and they was asking me about police corruption, if you are committing a road traffic offence and you get fined how is that corruption............? 

Right now you are drinking in the bar you have no helmets, I saw you pull up, do you have a license on you.........Nope! so right away there is 3 offenses, Oh bye the way do you have your passports on you? Nope, ok add that to the list

So if you get fined tonight with that little lot you are calling that corruption? 

I told them I have lived here 25 years and been fined twice and both times was my fault,

The BIB are filthy.  You should know by now. Don't waste your breath.

"But he also noted that police were within their rights to let off those who were breaking the law as a first offence and show leniency"

Leniency translates into. "Pay 200 now or 500 at court" 

who the F÷×#@ do they think they are kidding?

Somchai is sent out at the start of the month with orders to give his sergeant a fixed sum of money, the sergeant is told by his lieutenant to provide a certain amount of money and so it goes on.

I can recall an incident some years ago that the officer in charge of Phuket was retiring or moving on.

However before vacating his post he 'sold' the position for 10 mil Baht. Corruption is endemic and is here to stay.

You ain't gotta be a brain surgeon to work it out!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The difference is, if you are fined at a roadside check, an RTP Officer collects the money and issues a signed/stamped receipt. Useful because, if you are stopped again for the same offence within 24 hours, you can show the receipt and, usually, are let off!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

`i have to carry passport with me.  how about a copy of it

Your Thai driving license is acceptable, if you have on of course. But remember you are also supposed to have a copy of the relevant page in your Blue Book if you are driving a car .

• Confused 1